Is Q Acoustics 3070s really that bad?

John24ssj

Hi all,

Yesterday I bought a 5.1 speaker system. I've been planning this for a while but I was able to get a deal and got the Q Acoustics 3000 cinema pack walnut(3050x2, 3090c, 3010x2, 3070s) for £600. My original idea was to get the same setup but different sub. However, with the price saving I went for this bundle.
I'm reading really mixed views about the sub, some say it's just awful and should not ever be used and some say it's really good.
I'm kind of worried now that my saving was not with getting this pack because I'll be needing to buy a replacement sub. Am I being worried for no reason?

Last edited:

WozzaB

It's not an awful sub, I had one with my Q7000i 5.1 setup, it definitely added some bass to the sound, but it just didn't have much impact or real depth to it in my room and I felt it let the rest of the system down as I liked the little 7000i speakers.

The other reason people say to avoid it as part of a package if you can is that you can get a better sub for similar or just a little more money, BK Gemini II and BK XLS200 for example.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Im guessing its not a terrible sub, but for the money they normally cost you would be able to get a BK sub, that is likely to outperform it and has additional features, e.g. high level input. Qacoustics make great speakers, subs are not their main focus compared to a dedicated manufacturer.

Best thing to do is just listen to it, you might like it and then there is no loss. Should you think its lacking then you can sell it to recover your outlay and upgrade.

TheHighFlyingBirds

Where did you get the package from for £600 as it is available for cheaper (richer sounds in graphite) or have you gone for a premium finish? Anyway, buying the speakers separately would cost £520 ish, if you find you dont like it, you'll be able to sell the sub to recover the difference and some, and then put it towards a different sub.

The main thing is you need to listen to it, to decide if you like it. I have heard one and it sounded like it was fast and agile, but doesn't have as much low end as other subs as @WozzaB said. This might be ok for you, especially if you can't have the bass too high due to living arrangements.

WozzaB

Forgot to ask the size of your room! I presume it's a decent size as you've gone for the larger 3050 floorstanders?

John24ssj

Thank you for the responses.

The room is 4m x 6m or 13ft x 20ft

I did get the set in walnut finish to match my living room setup with the cabinet, I got it from Peter Tyson.

At Richer sounds I did listen to Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 and I thought the sub was quite nice and deep. If the 3070s is better than WH-D8, I think I will be happy.
Also is there much different between 3090c and 3090ci? My initial idea was to get 3090ci. I am wondering if the bundle was a good decision 😟

TheHighFlyingBirds

@John24ssj Have you bought online? If so i would give peter tyson a ring as the walnut package is 449 online so they might give you a reduction.

If you go for the 3090ci, you'll then be wanting the L and R to be the i range and the 3050i is quite a bit more. No idea how much better they are but im on the non i range and more than happy with them.

WozzaB

When you look at the separates price, the 5.0 kit would cost £487.90 at PT, so the sub has effectively cost you £112.10. You would get your money back on that if you sold it, and could put that towards a better sub if you weren't happy with it, so no real loss getting the pack.

I presume you haven't had a chance to listen to any of the speakers, and what size is your room?

I also had the Q7070si, it came with the 7000i pack, but RS let me borrow a 3070s as well as I couldn't decide which one to go for, the 3070s had a touch more impact and the 7070si went a bit lower, in my room anyway, I chose to keep the 7070si initially and then moved on quite quickly.

John24ssj

@WozzaB You got a great point there, if I don't like the sub I should be able to sell it without a loss because of my initial bundle saving :)

The room is 4m x 6m or 13ft x 20ft

And I have listened to 3050 and 3090c, however I have not listened to 3070s or the 3010.

WozzaB

That's a pretty big room, I would think the 3070s would get a bit lost in there!
My room is quite a bit smaller at 4.2m x 4m and the Q3070s and Q7070si both struggled to do much.
But if you've placed the order already then you can have a listen for yourself and go from there.
Just keep the box for the 3070s handy 😆

WozzaB

Yeah with a 6m x 4m room, you'll be looking to go up the sub range a few steps, bypassing the entry level BK Gem II and XLS200, and also looking at other makes then as well, depending on the kind of bass you're after or course.

TheHighFlyingBirds

@John24ssj my mistake doh, not enough coffee yet.

If you do decide to upgrade the sub, have a look on eBay (seller is colosussxb) at grade b BK subs, you can save a few quid that way. I did and my sub is immaculate, and cannot see how its grade b. You still get the warranty as well, as they are still brand new from BK.

simonb3665

Its not an awful sub and blends well with the speakers without too much eq. I started with a q system and bang for buck nothing has ever come anywhere near close. Measured with REW the sub is anything but flat but the result was pretty pleasing before upgraditus gets a hold. You arent going to get a better sub for £112 :) That room is on the large side though as already stated. You are probably going to need at least a 12 inch sub and ideally a ported one to get a good bump in performance.

Potsnack

I have a 3070s and love it (small-ish room). Sure it's no window rattler, but I (and my neighbours I'm sure) didn't want a window rattler anyway. It does what it is supposed to and enhances the bass in small to medium rooms. Placement as always is key and I found the audyysey app a godsend for finding the best placement for it. It works with my 3020's and 3010's perfectly and you can certainly notice a difference when you switch it off. I honestly couldn't wish for anything more for general TV and movie watching. Sure it may get lost in a big room, but try it and trust your ears.

rccarguy

Doesn't appear that great dual 6.5" and 150w

Fine for close monitor pc system or bedroom bit large living room main system? Nah

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Clearly it works for some people giving bit extra rumble with ported design, but looking back i remember there has been quite many amp failures with 2070/3070. New one costs 179£.

Measured data: The 3070S’s close-miked response, normalized to the level at 80 Hz, indicates that the lower –3dB point is at 34 Hz and the –6dB point is at 30 Hz. The upper –3dB point is at 174 Hz with the Crossover control set to maximum.

simonb3665

Its designed for a low price point and delivers the performance where most people notice it and works in conjuction with the tune of there speaker range. This isnt a flat 10 to 200 sub at 115db but it needs to be compared with it peers. At the price point its available at as part of the package Im not really sure what else is available new. Many many upgrades ago now but I replaced it with an svs pc12 which was a noticable step up with a much lower tune but I think the equivalent is about 1k these days.

WozzaB

Guess bk Gemini better for a little bit more?
I replaced the Q sub initially with a Gem II for £200 grade B, definitely better than either the 3070s/7070si I had, not a massive upgrade, but did everything a bit better in my room.

rccarguy

I do like bk finish and they have the same models to purchase for long time so if you buy one then another years later for duals, it's still in production.

Only thing they could offer is class d, more efficient, more power. Also aware bk have quite a bit of issue with hum and buzz seems quite common problem. Also not much features.like onboard peq, variable high pass, etc etc like svs ultra plate amps

John24ssj

@rccarguy Is that something that can be fixed under warranty or just something users have to live with?
Also they seem to be really well regarded but only offer 2 year warranty while others provide 5 years.
My system is arriving today and I'm really excited, I've already put the soundbar away

rccarguy

Just seems recurring issue that pops up with bk subs, toroidal power supplies can hum, it can be various factors. Just read from another member about his bk humming. Also can buzz if lfe is set to maximum. Digital amps see to have fewer issues like they do on bk subs
Also think class ab for sub amps aren't worth it. One benefit for class ab is any decent audio shop can repair them.

John24ssj

What a kick in the nads today. Delivery was delayed to evening one which I didn't mind and it's very understandible with what's happening but they damaged every single box !!! And I meant every single box.

Also began cutting and making cables and I'm 3 meters short :( won't be able to get more cable until next Thursday, I want to cry. Been looking forward to this so much.

Attachments

WozzaB

Not good! Are the speakers free of any marks?
You can get speaker cable delivered tomorrow on Amazon, depending on what you're after.