Is PS3 good enough?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by buddy13, Jan 9, 2012.

1. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I play my DVD/BD movies on PS3. It is connected to my Yamaha 671 A/V receiver which in turn feeds five Diamond 10 speakers and a Sharp 40LE620 LED TV...

Is it better to invest in a proprietary DVD/BD player such as a Sony BDP-S380 or is it money just thrown away?

I am talking purely in terms of A/V performance not extra functions (I don't need that). Thanks in advance for any help :smashin:!

2. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    first the plastation picture qualtiy is top and hard to beat, but the advantage of an independent player is it will prolong the life of the ps3, and also dependent on which ps3 you have the blu ray player will be quieter than the ps3 fans spinning away. also the ps3 is 3d ready to so make sure you buy a 3d player to make it worth while, unless your not worried about 3d.

3. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for advice. As you say the fans/laser are a bit noisy on the PS3 but it is drowned easily by the sound from the Yam+Wharfys :D...

I do not need 3D. So I guess I'll keep on using PS3 for movies! What about music (CD) playing? I also throw in a CD in my PS3 from time to time...is it better to buy a dedicated CD player in terms of performance (or is it just to avoid wear)?

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    The PS3 uses a dual laser arrangement and it is the laser associated with the Blu-ray and games capabilities of the console that has issues with burning out. The DVD and CD laser is unlikely to have such issues seeing as this laser isn't engaged for games and isn't used more than either a standalone BD player or the games function of the PS3.

A standalone CD player could be better than a PS3 depending on the player in question and how you connect it to your amp. A mid price CD player connected to your amp via analogue is more than likely going to surpass the PS3's CD audio abilities.

5. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was not aware that a dual laser is used in PS3. I will then use my PS3 for movies. I think that I should not use it for music duties too as then too much wear and tear would be caused to the console...

So if I were to invest in a Marantz CD6004 (as recommended by whathifi) would I see any improvement with my setup (remember I am using a multichannel A/V receiver)?

6. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    to be honest i would get your self along to richer sounds and grad one of the toshiba 1200kb for £50 its a craking little dvd player i have one in my bed room and my kids room, i just had to adjust the picture brightness in the player as it seems bright out the box but the picture quality is awsome, it will save wear on the pse blu ray laser as that is more likely to gonthen the dvd cd laser in the ps3 and you can always use that as a cd player to, its cheaper to replace than the ps3.

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,125
    As an additional point of reference, it will cost aprox. £80 to have a PS3's laser replaced should it blow or nearer £50 if you do it yourself.

It is dust on the lens that cause the laser to burn out and not so much an issue with it being used more than a conventional BD player. The cooling fan within the PS3 tends to suck dust into the console and this dust is prone to settling on the lens. As more and more dust settles on the lens then the laser increases its power until it blows.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  8. buddy13

buddy13
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not cheap but it is not exorbitant either...

I think that given the quality of the PS3 components I think I'm better off using the PS3. However I am really interested to know more about audio players...

I have read that DVD-Audio is better than SACD (CD vs. DVD-A vs. SACD). I know that PS3 does not play DVD-Audio (PS3SACD.com PlayStation3 Super Audio CD FAQ). Would you be able to recommend a mid-end player that plays CD and DVD-Audio for 300 GBP max.?

9. dspit1664

dspit1664

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Just tried RS online can't find it :( may be because I'm using my iPhone don't know.

10. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
  11. dspit1664

dspit1664

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Hmmm many thanks. It seemed like it was my phone or site :/ but thanks goes straight to it.

12. scottthehat

scottthehat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,799
    no probs, its a cracking player.