1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Prologic II any good ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by torimusic, May 22, 2001.

1. torimusic

torimusic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is Prologic II any better than the original Prologic decoding ? Is it worth upgrading to a receiver that supports this attempt to resurrect Prologic which most consider to be an obsolete surround format ? I still use my VCR a lot even though I have a DVD player. I'm not ready to throw away all my VHS videos yet.

2. Banjaxe

Banjaxe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It depends how often you use your system to play stereo "only" material.

I hardly ever play VHS tapes any more but I watch a reasonable amount of broadcast TV on Sky Digital. Programmes like "Later with Jools Holland" and "Walk On By" sound great using ProLogic II. When I'm watching TV I tend to leave my Meridian in ProLogic II "Music" mode rather than "Movie" mode - it seems to sound better (to me) with material that isn't ProLogic encoded and still sounds fantastic with material that is encoded.

Although ProLogic II can't sound as dynamic or give the same degree of separation as discrete systems like Dolby Digital and DTS it certainly narrows the gap compared to ProLogic.

To decide whether it's worth paying out more money immediately or just waiting until you're current equipment is due to be replaced - that's always going to be down to personal preference.

But it definitely does sound better than ProLogic :)

3. plb

plb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Other than Onkyo and Kenwood what other makes of receiver offer Pro-Logic II ?
    Paul

4. plb

plb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further to my previous message does anyone know if Yamha or Denon intend to release Dolby Pro-Logic II receivers?

5. MarkB

MarkB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Pro Logic will never be obsolete while the digital TV services transmit stereo. It is for this reason that I believe that Dolby Pro logic II should not be underestimated.
    Mark

6. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I've just had PL2 for a couple of weeks now. What a difference it makes to normal stereo signals.

I have it on Movie mode all the time unless I have MTV etc.. on when Music mode comes into it's own.