1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is prog scan possible on UK GC?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Rob20, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    The Liksang site states that you can use the component lead on GC's worldwide. However, UK GC games don't have a prog scan option. I always thought that the prog scan option was a feature removed from the UK hardware. However, I've heard that it's in the software, so if you use USA games on your pal GC via Freeloader, it's then possible to play them in 480p. Has anyone got a Pal Gc hooked up in this way? does it work? I've got an lcd tv with a spare component input and wanted to try it out. What is the max output from GC games. I've heard the XBox can output 720p + 1080i. Both of which my tv is capable, (along with 480p/576p). :)

2. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    I've got a PAL Cube, Freeloader, a load of NTSC games, a component cable set, and a prog scan compatible TV, and I get absolutely gorgeous prog scan visuals from my prog scan compatible NTSC games - they run at 480p. If you have the capability to display prog scan pics, you really owe it to yourself to get the prog scan cable and a copy of Freeloader. You will need separate audio inputs though, obviously.

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +663
    I posted this question on another site, and they reckoned that the digital av out wasn't actually 'live'!? Now I'm really confused. :rolleyes:

Which games run at 480p. The only one I know of is Metroid Prime. :)

4. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Prime, (+ Prime 2)
    Viewtiful Joe (+ 2, we presume)
    Animal Crossing
    Zelda: Wind Waker
    Rogue Squadron 2 + 3
    Mario Sunshine
    Mario Kart: DD
    F-Zero GX
    The list goes on...

A good rule of thumb is: if the PAL version has a 60 Hz option, then the NTSC version will have prog scan.

A few PAL cubes did have their prog scan disabled, IIRC, but I'm not aware of any that didn't have a working digital out.

5. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob20

I can second t-force - cable works fine on Pal games - get a much better signal than RGB Scart thru RGB2VGA box to VGA input of plasma I've got (Panny PW6 standard def). The shading on games like Windwalker is so much more subtle and smooth on component input even when it isn't prog scan. RGB gets some hatching patterns - component is smooth grading and less jaggies. Text is just that bit sharper.

I think regarding cubes with no digital output - it's more a case that newer cubes don't have the socket (cheaper and few people use them) - at least in the US but I guess elsewhere too once the new stock reaches all regions.

Andy