Is playTV a good idea for me?

D

Darkarium

Hi.
I am currently using a standard old Freeview box and getting roughly 40%-90% signal on every channel with an indoor aerial (although it decreases horridly if i move the aerial like half a cm. I was thinking about buying PlayTV as it would be nice to have a PVR and better picture quality plus a TV guide that goes further than the next program.

I really don't know whether PlayTV will retain the same signal strength though. Also i am concerned that if i'm watching TV with quiet volume like very late at night then won't the PS3 fan noise drown out the sound? I have an original launch model PS3 that gets a little noisy when left even idle for a 30 mins.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

trmather

I can't believe you think the PS3 gets noisy.

I can barely hear mine most of the time.

Oh and PlayTV's alreet, but bear in mind you can't add subscription channels to it like Setanta.

Mr_Sukebe

I don't think that the PlayTV makes the slighest difference to the noise from the PS3. If you think your PS3 is noisy, it certainly won't improve it, and neither will it improve your signal strength. Whether it makes better use of your available signal is another matter. I'm getting around 75% signal strength and have 56 TV channels if that helps.

y2k

I don't think that the PlayTV makes the slighest difference to the noise from the PS3. If you think your PS3 is noisy, it certainly won't improve it, and neither will it improve your signal strength. Whether it makes better use of your available signal is another matter. I'm getting around 75% signal strength and have 56 TV channels if that helps.
Makes a big difference to the amount of heat that the PS3 gives out so makes the other fans kick in making it a bit louder, I used to be able keep my PS3 in an enclosed cabinet (with 2 120mm fans)until I started to use playtv, now the louder fans kick in after about an hour.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom