Is plasma tech moving forward?

Hi all

After scanning the latest magazines and of course AV Forums it seems that plasma isn't improving with regards to the smaller screen sizes. I'm hearing of LCD improvements such as LED backlighting, clear LCD and 16bit - 32 colour chips for less banding. But not hearing anything new for plasma.

One thing for sure though, if there was a 37, 42 plasma today that could do 1080 res, i'll ditch my LCD today. I know you plasma fans say res isn't everything, to me it is.

Really this post is to get more info from you guys about advancements in this tech. So anyone got any web pages they can direct me to for info?

Kind regards

Wil

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Wilt

For the great unwashed the main (and only important) improvement in Plasma Display technology is the reduction in the cost of ownership; folk simply want a big flat TV for a minimal outlay.

The Plasma Manufacturers are spending a fortune trying to make 1080p viable at 50" - your not going to see anything 1080p in a smaller format for a long time if you listen to Panasonic and Pioneer.

Best regards

Joe

Faust

Without starting a which is best debate I have both and Plasma quite literally wipes the floor with LCD on PQ - no contest truly.

Jonstone

Wilt said:
One thing for sure though, if there was a 37, 42 plasma today that could do 1080 res, i'll ditch my LCD today. I know you plasma fans say res isn't everything, to me it is.
Wil
From anything like a normal viewing distance you would not be able to tell the difference between a current hd plasma and a 1080 res one with a 37" screen size so I can't see them producing one.

The reason why most of the improvements you see mentioned are with lcd is because there is more scope for improvement from them.

What would be nice to see from a plasma is a better response time from the green phosphors to eliminate some of the problems from scenes with high black and white contrast and maybe some improvement in regards to viewing in a bright room

keefers

Novice Member
Faust said:
Without starting a which is best debate I have both and Plasma quite literally wipes the floor with LCD on PQ - no contest truly.
I have a Pio PDP436 whilst my g/f has a Samsung 32" LCD and her dad has a 40" Pioneer LCD. My Pio's picture is so much better than the LCDs. The 32" is passable but the 40" looks soooo weird, I find myself unable to concentrate on what I'm watching cos the picture is so unnatural.

Oop - have we restarted *that* debate? Apologies.

K.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom