• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Is plasma for me?

Aidan.

hi,

i've been doing a fair bit of plasmas and lcds, and have kept on swaying between the two. so, the tv will be for my bedroom, and, on the plasma front, my only option is the lg 32pg6000. now, this will be mainly used for freeview and dvd viewing, and, to be safe, gaming on the ps3, after the 200 hour run-in period.

now, really, my only concern is the use of static images. all/B] of the dvds i'll be viewing, will have a static logo, on the bottom left of the screen - and, of course, with freeview viewing, logos vary from channel-to-channel. anyway, i've a few general plasma questions - i've had a look around, but, opinion seems to vary.

• when viewing freeview, and dvds, that have a static logo, what is he general maximum time i can watch a tv show/dvd for, in a single session?

• i've read that, when viewing something with a static image/logo (be it a dvd, or freeview broadcast), you should change the channel, to one with no static image/logo. if so, how often should this be done? (like, say, once an hour), and for how long should this be done?

• is gaming on a ps3 (again, after the run-in period, just to be safe), advisable on a plasma? or, am i better off with an lcd? if gaming on a plasma is visible, again, how long should i use the ps3, per session? and, if i should stop gaming after a certain period of time, and switch to a freeview channel, with no static imag, how long for, roughly, and, how often?
lastly, i've read that the lg i may get, has a feature, which, um, shifts the pixels on a broadcat with a static image? something like that - could someone kindly elaborate on that?

by the way, i've read using the whitewash feature, to remove ir, lowers the set's contrast, each time whitewash is used? how much does it reduce it by, each time it's used?

realistically, how long will a set have to left on, with a static image, for screen burn to occur (i know it's unlikely, but would like to know).

oh, lastly (again :p), will ps3 games look better on an lcd or plasma? well, i think that covers everthing. so, is plasma for me, given my points above? cheers guys :D

Aidan.

rewerb, i have, but, thought i'd be better to make a seperate thread, as the questions, i believe, are general plasma ones. thanks though.

cobraman2008

I can help a little but I have the earlier model in 50" guise (LGPG3000 50").

I've been running it for just over a week now (must have clocked around 70 hours by now) and I've mainly used it for viewing SD picture through my standard Sky box, watching DVDs via the Playstation3 and around 2 hours gaming (although I have a dedicated LCD for this function).

Image retention has only been apparent after watching DVDs for me. You get the black lines (above and below the picture in 16:1) and if you turn the volume up/down after around 2 hours of continued watching the volume bar does stay on screen for about 5 minutes and slowly fades away. Now this is only noticeable if you have black lines above and below. A DVD was played in full screen mode (without the black lines) and after 2 hours I tried turning the volume up and down and there was no image retention. When I say image retention I mean it is very slight and you hardly notice unless you know to look for it. My wife and brother were also watching the film and didn't know what I was talking about until I pointed it out and they walked close to the screen.

I am also led to believe this will be less common after 200 hours of running in the plasma so thus far I am happy. Gaming has left no image retention and I've been watching SkySports with their logo in the top right for 6 continuous hours with no image retention whatsoever.

I've whitewashed twice (just to see how it functions) and to be honest there is no need to use it as image retention disappears very quickly indeed and is hardly noticeable. I don't envisage using this function at all if the plasma continues at the rate it is going.

What I will say is get some sort of surround sound system or even 2.1 speakers as the inbuilt ones aren't as brilliant as most people make them out to be. I had to watch Lord of the Rings on volume level 100 and I wanted it much louder. However, consider I am sitting around 14 feet from the screen. If your in a small room you'll get away with the speakers fine. Another thing I noticed is if you notch the volume fairly high on scenes where people are talking with no background noise you do suffer from 'mosquito buzz' which is a slight buzz before people talk. This annoyed me like hell when I was watching From Dusk Till Dawn that I gave up 10 minutes in after playing with all the speaker settings.

I just purchased and connected up a Yamaha AV32 5.1 Surround System yesterday and am now loving my screen with incredible sound coupled together.

I hope this helps and I have to say the plasma has really exceeded all my expectations. SD quality is really superb and I've had friends come over and they have commented how the SD quality on my 50" screen is far better than the SD quality on their 42" screens. If you've got a good signal it will look fantastic on a 32".

Any more questions and I'll be happy to answer them.:hiya:

cobraman2008

Another thing - I moved to this 50" plasma from a 32" CRT so it was a huge jump and the screen looked absolutely massive above the fireplace. However, after a week of ownership you soon get used to the screensize and it now looks nothing out of the ordinary.

So what I am saying is if you can get away with a 42" it may be an option as you quickly get used to the size of the screen. Something to consider.

Aidan.

cobraman2008, double thanks, good man :p that's certainly put my mind at ease, i'm edging towards plasma now. naw, 32" will be plenty big enough for my bedroom (up from my fantastic 15" toshiba crt :p) thanks again mate, very helpful info :)

rewerb

rewerb, i have, but, thought i'd be better to make a seperate thread, as the questions, i believe, are general plasma ones. thanks though.
OK, but I thought most of the questions were about image retention, and that does vary according to the TV make. Pannys seem to be the best there. I've never noticed any image retention on mine, though I dont game. But I watch lots of programs with logos, all the time. Cant speak for the LG. But it gets mentioned on their forums.

audiphile76

hi,

i've been doing a fair bit of plasmas and lcds, and have kept on swaying between the two. so, the tv will be for my bedroom, and, on the plasma front, my only option is the lg 32pg6000. now, this will be mainly used for freeview and dvd viewing, and, to be safe, gaming on the ps3, after the 200 hour run-in period.

now, really, my only concern is the use of static images. all/B] of the dvds i'll be viewing, will have a static logo, on the bottom left of the screen - and, of course, with freeview viewing, logos vary from channel-to-channel. anyway, i've a few general plasma questions - i've had a look around, but, opinion seems to vary.

• when viewing freeview, and dvds, that have a static logo, what is he general maximum time i can watch a tv show/dvd for, in a single session?
  • i've read that, when viewing something with a static image/logo (be it a dvd, or freeview broadcast), you should change the channel, to one with no static image/logo. if so, how often should this be done? (like, say, once an hour), and for how long should this be done?
  • is gaming on a ps3 (again, after the run-in period, just to be safe), advisable on a plasma? or, am i better off with an lcd? if gaming on a plasma is visible, again, how long should i use the ps3, per session? and, if i should stop gaming after a certain period of time, and switch to a freeview channel, with no static imag, how long for, roughly, and, how often?
lastly, i've read that the lg i may get, has a feature, which, um, shifts the pixels on a broadcat with a static image? something like that - could someone kindly elaborate on that?

by the way, i've read using the whitewash feature, to remove ir, lowers the set's contrast, each time whitewash is used? how much does it reduce it by, each time it's used?

realistically, how long will a set have to left on, with a static image, for screen burn to occur (i know it's unlikely, but would like to know).

oh, lastly (again :p), will ps3 games look better on an lcd or plasma? well, i think that covers everthing. so, is plasma for me, given my points above? cheers guys :D

Aidan: Your 3 question set is quite understanding when you are buying plasma for the first time. I had the same questions before i bought my 1st ever plasma. With time i understood that with good reliable brands, you dont have to be THAT careful with plasmas.

I have a Panasonic and only thing i did to ensure that there are no IRs was to keep contrast and brighness at decent levels and use Cinema+warm(settings from *). Since then i have watched DVDs, paused movies, watched 2ice hockey games per day during the icehockey championship in May(remember that the scores are static all throughout), never had any serious problems.

On the hindside, i would suggest to consider the possibility of 37PX80 rather than 32" LG. I have nothing against LG but with comments from users, LG has problems with IR. Panasonic on the other hand is more reliable.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom