1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is plasma better than......

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jonpaul, Nov 2, 2004.

1. jonpaul

jonpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    a good 100hz widescreen tv? I need a new tv and want to know if a plasma will be noticeably better than a good quality "normal" tv. The sizes I am talking about would be a 32" normal tv or a 37" plasma.

2. iangilroy

iangilroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's quite a difficult question to answer. The CRT is likely to have better contrast and brightness and the smaller size will also help mask deficiencies in whatever it's displaying. With output from a decent DVD player, especially via progressive scan, I'd expect the plasma will have a bigger and subjectively better picture. Ropey Sky channels will probably look noisier on the plasma.

I guess the real answer is that you need to see the CRT and plasmas that you could buy in action and decide for yourself.

3. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi

Plasma is very good and given a good source can look fantastic... things really have moved in a few years only.. but crt tv's (normal glass tube tv's) i feel still better plasma and lcd sets.
    Its just neater having a flat panel bolted to the wall. If its gonna sit on a stand you may as well stick to crt. Unless your feeling flash and wanna impress your friends and family!!!

Please dont let this put you off flat panel tv's, i just believe crt tv's still have something to say.

CH

4. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    However if you want to go above 32" in size i would go for a flat panel as 36" tv's seem to have problems, ie geomatry...

ch

5. jonpaul

jonpaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

I would like a tv bigger than 32" but I know a 36" crt would be too big for my living room, but I am unsure if a 37" plasma would also be too big. I shall have to look at them in Comets to see how big they really look.

6. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi again

Its really tough to see if a large set would look ok when you visit a salesroom. They look 'just the right size' in currys but if you have a smallish to small room they tend to over dominate a room and become ugly because of this.

If it doesn't bother you then go go go for it... In mho i think (for the average uk living room) 32" of set is plenty, for daytime tv viewing mind. 42" set i think, look to ugly and overbearing. Makes me a bit of a hipocrite mind as whilst i write this im watching an 80" pj image!!!!! But I wouldn't watch tv through my pj, it just dont seem right.

Rgds

CH

7. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to watch everything on a 90" screen. I do not see much difference to watching Sky through the projector and watching a film. I especially used to enjoy watching sport through it.

Most programmes shown on TV these days are like movies anyway.

Bigger the better in my opinion. As long as your not sitting 4 feet away.

8. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Thats Great!! Horses 4 Courses...

rgds

CH

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    CRTs are often cited as being "better" than the flat panel technologies, and in some respects they may well be. However, to throw a little balance into the argument:

A CRT is intrinsically prone to suffer from any or all of.....

> Convergence errors - three colours don't match up exactly in their screen position and you get coloured edges around things - often most noticeable in the corners

> Geometry errors - straight lines that end up being curved and/or tilted; circles not round etc.

> Poor voltage regulation resulting in changing image size with changing brightness. Manifests itself as logos which should be static are bouncing - vertical edges/lines varying in shape with brightness etc.

> Colour impurity often due to magnetic interference eg from a nearby loudspeaker or central heating radiator, but also just shipped like that.

> Blooming on peak white (if over adjusted)

Flat panels do not intrinsically suffer any of the above.

10. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've just upgraded from a 32" CRT to a 42" plasma and I love the bigger size, especially for 2.35:1 movies. Yes, it does dominate the room more, but the dominant activity in the room is watching TV. Why sacrifice your viewing experience just because the box it comes in is the wrong size, shape or colour.

Beware though that poor images enlarged on a plasma look a lot worse. Programmes on my CRT such Cheers and Soap looked bad on my CRT, but they look awful on my plasma. However, good quality broadcasts such as new stuff from the BBC looks great and DVD movies look stunning. In fact, I wish I could have afforded the 50", but that will probably be my next screen.

11. zoom

zoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A 32" crt does take up a lot of space, physically and visually. To get a guage of this find out the dimensions and mock it up out of card board in 3 dimensions to get a feel. Similarly for a plasma if you can't decide between 32" and 42" cut out a flat piece of card at both those sizes, don't forget to add in the frame size which can vary depending on models and compare how much visual space they take up and see if the 42" dominates the room or fits ok.
    I went for a 32" as I didn't want my room to be dominated by a TV as it is quite a small room. There are times when I think perhaps I should have gone 37" but in reality the size is spot on for me. I did move from a 14" portable so anything would have seemed massive. :)

12. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    nigel is right, but for all the technicalities, a well calibrated and set up CRT does blow any plasma away in the picture department.

That's simply the benefits of a mature technology against one in it's relative infancy.

Also if you are used to a CRT picture ( as so manyfolk are), plasma can take a bit of getting used to.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The cardboard trick is very useful, especially if you have to sell the idea to SWMBO. I carry cardboard cutouts of 37, 42 and 50 screens, with J.Depp esq as Capn. Sparrow stuck to them. These are blu-tacked to the wall during discussions. The guys are all sold before I come, it's the girls who ned convincing, hence that lovely Mr Depp, he's never failed me.

14. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Nice tool of the trade MAW!

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I do the guys a favour, they want a plasma, I convince the wife!

16. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    TBH my 32" CRT dominated the room a lot more than my 42" plasma does now, it was on a unit in fron t of the wall, and now my plasma is on the wall, it takes up so much less space and makes the relatively small room look bigger.

The difference between the two in terms of PQ is not too great, yes it varies programme to programme, but i havent noticed too much and its all very watchable! :thumbsup:

If you can afford the extra for the plasma, then go for it.

Rob