Is picture quality an issue with AV receivers

Glidos

I've been assuming that for HDMI in from source, HDMI out to TV, that the TV image would be identical to that of having the source directly connected to the TV (assuming the AV receiver isn't doing up scaling or anything). But I saw someone's review ofthe NR1501 saying the image quality wasn't as good as some other receiver they were testing against. Is there an issue with PQ? I guess they might have been refering to the audio image, but it didn't seem so.

D

Deleted member 241106

The more equipment the signal passes through the higher the likelihood that it will pick up interference.
This is why good screening is important. I suppose some kit may effect the signal adversely but most wouldnt notice the difference.

Glidos

But HDMI is digital, right? So either it's perfect or has bit errors, and you'd really not expect bit errors how ever many bits of kit you send it through. Well, I guess the probability of bit errors rises as it goes through each piece of equipment, but the probability is tiny AFAIK.

My worry was more about whether AV receivers tend to process the image (other than up scaling that is).

dante01

Distinguished Member
Digital signals (data) should passthrough untouched. Some AV amps incorporate scalers which indeed would have some influence on the image quality. It is usually the case that the better the processor used for the video processing then the better the PQ, but if no video processing takes place then no degradation should occur. Note that AV amps that incorporate HDMI still have the ability to handle and passthrough analogue video sources. Analogue video can and does degrade because of the resistance the electrical signal is faced with and the loss of signal during its passage from source to dsplay. If you lose a digital signal or if it suffers interference then you get no picture. If the same happens in relation to analogue electrical signals then you get degradation of the signal and poorer PQ.

In relation to video processing, the PQ is determined by the sophistication and processing power of the AV amp. Entry level AV amps do not fair well when it comes to video processing, especially when it comes to deinterlacing and upscaling. Only the top end models allow users to process and upscale HDMI sources. The cheaper amps only process analogue video sources so you'd expect PQ to be poorer on these models if you use their onboard processing in conjunction with analogue sources.

Last edited:

Glidos

Ok good. So in my case, where I'm unlikely to be sending anything other than 1080p50 or 1080p60 to the AV receiver, it should be passed on to the TV untouched.

There may be cases where I want to send 576p50, but again I wouldn't want it upscaled, so it should be untouched. I'm guessing AV receivers don't tend to force upscaling on you? You do get the choice? It's the NR1501 that I'm considering buying.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Ok good. So in my case, where I'm unlikely to be sending anything other than 1080p50 or 1080p60 to the AV receiver, it should be passed on to the TV untouched.

There may be cases where I want to send 576p50, but again I wouldn't want it upscaled, so it should be untouched. I'm guessing AV receivers don't tend to force upscaling on you? You do get the choice? It's the NR1501 that I'm considering buying.

The NR1501 has no video processing abilities in relation to its HDMI inputs. Only the analogue inputs can make use of the amp's video processing so all your HDMI sources should be passed through to your display untouched Even if the NR1501 allowed you to scale HDMI inputs, you'd still have control over what is scaled if at all. No AV amp forces you to use its scaling abilities if present and you are always given the option as to what is scaled and by how much. If you do use the NR1501's video conversion in relation to analogue inputs then you will have control over this. I don't think that the NR1501 has any scaling abilities and only converts analogue to HDMI?

Last edited:

Glidos

Brilliant. Just what I wanted to know. Thanks muchly.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom