1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Philips all bad news? Help

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kevink, Apr 4, 2005.

1. kevink

kevink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to buy a DVD recorder that will accept DV in. I'd also like a combi DVD and VCR recorder. Right now that seems to narrow it down to a Philips DVDR630VR.

It's an OK price and I can pick one up tomorrow. But..... Philips seems to get slagged off big-time on the forums. Does anyone have anything good to say about the unit, or is it a dog.

Main gripes, no support for DVD-R DVD-RW.
    Reliability.

Please help with any info.

Cheers

:lease:

2. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I dont have that model but i've had a Phillips DVDR-80 dvd recorder for nearly 2 years now and have never had a problem with it.

3. ElchenUK

ElchenUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not ever having owned a Philips machine I cannot comment on how good they are but check out the JVC DRMV1S, it has DVD recording and VHS capability, has DV in and also uses DVD-R and DVD-RW as well as DVD-RAM.
    Oh and it is £50 cheaper than the DVDR630VR :)

4. kevink

kevink
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I looked at Epinions.com, this is what the reviewers had to say:
    JVC

They are clearly unhappy. I'm beginning to think this is a lost cause. I'm currently edging towards the Toshiba DV-R3 DVD

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I have the philips dvdr75, 15 months old now, no problems, plays dvds every day

Whats wrong with the panny E95, or the newer model?
    160 gig HD, dvd-ram, dvd-r, dvd-rw maybe

6. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips HDD recorders are a bit of a joke for reasons easily found all over this forum.If you want rewritable compatibility you should go for the new Panny HDD model once its out,or now you could go for a Pioneer 520 or 720

7. robert.hunter

robert.hunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Recent Philips models appear not to have had the substantial reliability issues which were so apparent with earlier models. I owe no loyalty to Philips and would happily purchase a Panasonic or other make with the right specification (HDD+DVDR+Freeview) but my current machine (Philips DVDR725H - HDD + DVDR) performs very well indeed.

Accordingly, if the Philips DVDR630VR meets your specification, recent history provides no reason not to purchase that machine.

(As an aside, I would not be surprised if Philips launch the first HDD + DVDR + Freeview.)

8. ElchenUK

ElchenUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kevlink, I have the DRMV1S and I've had no problems with it whatsoever, although I've not had it for more than 90 days yet!
    Maybe the UK models are more reliable as I noticed that a lot of the reviews were from US users.