1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is PCI upgrade worth it for hdtv playback?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mikeaitch, Sep 22, 2005.

1. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Hi

I'm running a Radeon 9800xt agp card right now, and it's pretty good for HDTV and for games like Half Life 2

Is there much point in upgrading to a new mobo and graphics card, as I mostly use the PC for ts files etc HDTV?

If so, what is best for that application?

Cheers

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    IMHO no, that combo is fine for what you're using it for.

The next 'forced upgrade' will be for an HDMI-compliant graphics card should you wish to use the PC to play hidef DVDs (of whatever flavour) and it's possible I suppose that they'll only be released in PCI-e form to begin with, like the first batch of NVidia 6600s .. but for now, unless you can identify any current problems then I don't see any point in changing.

If it ain't broke and all that. :D

3. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :smashin: What he said :smashin:

Absolutely nothing wrong with your setup for your current situation.

4. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    :clap: :clap: No need to spend any money?

Unheard of!!!

Thanks Guys

5. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    would you believe it-the mobo has just gone belly up :( My dealer will replace it like for like, but is offering an asus pci for no xtra- should I take it? And what graphics card would I need if I did. current mobo is Abit AV8

6. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Free upgrade? Go for it. I'm an Asus fanboy so I would say that! :rolleyes:

As for card, world's your oyster. NVidia cards are generally felt to have better DVD/HDTV playback at moment.

If you can stretch to a 6600 or 6600GT it'll knock your socks off game-performance wise.

A 6200 is the budget option.

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Won't you have to replace everything if you get a new motherboard, well cpu at least? unless you had an nforce 3 939 board and are upgrading to an nforce 4 in which case ignore.

If you want to play games with a decent frame rate then a 6600GT minimum is recomended (as there is a rather sharp drop off after than) but also look at the new x800gt and gto some (can't remeber which) have been know to softmod (i.e. no touching the chip just the software) to a full x850XT, they also have perfromance nearing 6800GT when ran normaly.

Although another considerion is that ati's new cards are due out soon and a more budget offering (unlike Nvidia) may be offered and would hopefuly perform better than those above for similar dosh.

8. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Cheers guys, gone with a free A8N SLi 939 board :thumbsup: Card is 7800gt, is it still a good choice,no issues? The only problem is no manual! Having to guess quite a bit.... eg memory goes in 1 and 3, or 2 and 4 right? Hope I can get it going enough to go online and download any drivers I need. Using my simpadat the moment, don't think I can use that for driver d/l or is that ok ? Sorry for all the questions

9. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    "7800gt, is it still a good choice" bloody yea, for the price and pretty much any other criteria you care to mention nothing can touch it.

10. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    :thumbsup: :D :D :D phew! got it right! Had a windfall £200 from work share options, so it hasn't really cost me anything:clap:

11. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Intesting thread - I want to watch DVDs, possibly HD stuff, and I'm thinking of replacing the packaged mx420 board in my XP2200 PC with a 6600 or similar. Does that sound worthwhile and sensible?

Could anyone elaborate on the significance of pci-express? Does that bring significant advantages at this level? Does that need a different mobo? Sorry for the noob questions.

Cheers, Nick

12. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    A 6600 will make a big change, X700 to are at a simialar level, going to pci-express will not bring any advatages because of the technology rather that it seems that all future cards will be released for this (at least first if not indefinitly) at the moment the 7800 series is pxi-e only as is the new x850GT/GTO.

With your current system and unless your wanting to play the newest games at the highest resolutions then you can more than get away with the 600GT, it will be a massive boost over your current card and is only about £100ish. It kight also be worth in upgrading to 1GB of ram if you haven't already, this would cost about £70 for a matched pair of 512mb but always by branded as cheap memory can account for all sorts of problems.

13. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Thanks, Gaz. I used to get what I thought was a good video picture playing DVDs with WinDVD through the mx420 on a 19" 1280x1024 monitor. I just upgraded to a 24" monitor that runs at 1920x1200, which is great.

However, I've now become aware of the pixel structure from the DVD, which appears to be revealed rather than concealed by the new monitor. Would a 6600 GP scale the image to display more effectively on the new monitor?

Nick

14. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Ths has probably got more to do with the fact that dvd is about a 3rd or more smaller resolution than the screen its self is displaying. The 6600 series does have something called purevideo (or something along those lines) which is ment to do alsorts of video trikery to make video look better. Is your monitor a CRT or LCD, i'm assuming its a CRT with at reasolution, so i would suggest when doing fullscreen movies change the resolution down or make it something that is a perfect scalar of the DVD resolution (i can't think what it is off the top of my head)

This should look perfect as a CRT doesn't have a fixed display that a TFT has, now if it is a TFT things are alittle more complicated as you want to show things at the optimum resolution which is 1920x1200 otherwise things will not look right. In this case your gonna have to apply some software to remove the problems your having. Personaly I haven't seen this so i haven't come up with a solution.

The best thing o do would be to post a new thread detailing what your problem is, and i'm sure at least one person will have a solution.

15. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The 6600gt does do postprocessing on the GPU. I have mine twinned with Theatertek 2, with WMR9 enabled. This should show improvements.

It maybe that at this high a res that there are limited to what scaling/de-interlacing can do, you are over the specs for Hi-Def 1080p !!

16. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Thanks, guys. Great forum! Nick