1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is PCI-E better than AGP?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Gazza33, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Gazza33

Gazza33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am building a pc soon, and I was wondering if it's worth getting a PCI-e mobo. Just as it seems to be the way forward and will it be futureproof?

Thanks. :)

2. leeboy2k3

leeboy2k3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    pci express is advisable if your getting a new pc, however for the current crop of cards none of them are bottlenecked by the agp bus.. agp at 66mhz times 8 do the math.
    Also the gddr3 video ram is so quick, framerates between top end cards on either bus are negligible, but yes go for pci-express.

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Pci-express is the future, unfortunaly that means that if your gonna upgrade to a newer system your best off buying a board with pci-express, even if it does cost that little bit more.

The 7800-gtx is supposidly not gonna come out in agp and i would think future top end cards wont.

To be fair though unless you running an older amd 64 system/motherboard (which would be unfortunate) the new gen of high end gfx chips would be bound (slowed down) by your cpu anyway making it a bit pointless.

I suspect that the GT or non GTX 7800 will probably be availible in agp though, or if they bring out a 7600 it would be suicide not to bring them out as it is the mid range, and thats were agp is now.

4. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    i am going get a laptop with a RADEON X700 with 128 MB V-RAM pci-e card. How good is it compared to an agp card with 128mb ram, say a radeon 9800 pro?

I have no idea on this sort of thing, and would really appriciate the help.

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    http://www.bit-tech.net/review/357/6
    If its the xt version then its impressive, around the performance of a 6600GT it seems.

With laptops its a more difficult choice as you can pay through the nose for custom gfx cards, but from the review above the X700 actualy looks pretty decent, when compaired to the geforce fx and 9800 series cards.

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    thanks for the heads up. don't know if its the xt version, it doesn't mention which one it is i'm afraid. So what is the difference between pci-e and agp cards? I thought the pci-e cards were supposed to herald a revolution in gaming, but it seems that this card at least isn't much better.

What about a 64bit processor? It has an amd turion 1.8ghz in it which is 64 bit. is a 64 bit processor supposed to be twice as fast as a 32bit processor? If not, what is the point of them?

cheers.

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    64 bit when software becomes availible will run faster and more memory can be addressed amoung other things. I doubt it would reach 2 x as fast though, for the same clock speed.

On the mobile market your probably better getting a petium m at the mo as performance and efficentcy wise there is nothing that can beat them.
    The pentium m runs at about double what its clock speed suggests so a 1.8 is probably as good as a p4 3.2 or faster. Its only 32 bit though so its not as future proof as 64bit chip may be. The p m also gives about 3-4 hours battery life i've even seen one with 6 hours so thats a bonus too.

Ofcourse if theres a huge difference in price then its about getting the best performance for the money and the turion is certainly not a bad chip just not as energy efficent.

Gfx wise i'd say go for 9800 (pro/xt), x700 XT or 6800GT if they are availible on the mobile front.

On the desktop front it is the oposite though, the petium 4 is a fat bloated mess, that runs too hot and doesn't perform as good as the athlon 64 (with the expecption being video/audio encoding, which the p4 has a decreasing advantage) and is no where near is heat or energy efficient as the 64.

8. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,200
    With the 64cpu Windows does as yet support it but when the new version comes out it will and then there will be a difference.

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    thanks again guys. So is the AMD turion just a mobile processor then? Is there any difference between that and the regular amd 64 processor?

ie would a turion 1.8ghz run as fast as the amd 64 3400+ on a laptop?

Cheers.

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I beleive its a low powered verion of the same althon 64 chip, so a 1.8 is a 3000+ i think, would have to check but that looks about right, 2.2 is a 3.6/3.8 i think on the compartision clock speed rating thing.

11. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    cheers for all the help gaz you are a star! :thumbsup: