1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is panny pd30 that bad?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jdg, Sep 14, 2003.

1. jdg

jdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read through the forums during these last few days, gives me an impression, that most people are not satisfied with their panasonic pd 30 telly.

I have ordered one myself and I'm starting to get a little worried.

So, is there anyone out there, that is actually satisfied with their panasonic pd30?

2. mike25

mike25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No issues yet mate.
    Satisfied with pic. Sound needs tweaking.

Overall 9/10

3. Anastie

Anastie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I am in the same boat as you jdg. Worried but still to date keeping the order due October 6th Just a point anyone tried the Panasonic s75 dvd player with this tv?

4. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been scared off the PD30. I'm going to opt for the ZD26P. I'll suffer not having PAL progressive if it means an easy life! Also, with the money I'll save I can afford to get a 36" rather than 32"!!

5. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've had mine for a few months, and I love it. Had a few issues earlier on, (e.g. green overpushed, reduced in service settings) but I have tweaked it to perfection. There are some people other than What Hi-Fi who think this TV is the best on the market, and I'm definitely one of them.

6. reflectivetrev

reflectivetrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone tell me how to access the service settings pls?

7. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. nsutherland

nsutherland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using these two together and I'm pretty pleased with the result. They're connected using component leads and 2x phono to scart 4 for the audio. Really ought to do something about the sound quality though.

9. reflectivetrev

reflectivetrev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    davej, I've tried this but it doesn't seem to work on my pd30.

10. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shawkins002 M8

You must have a good one compared to mine. Are you saying yours in great with all input sources? What about terestrial reception? Have you noticed any diferance in picture quality comparing S-Video and RGB? The reason why I ask is mine is crap in all those departments. Don't get me wrong sometimes the picture does look really nice but that is on the very rare occasion.

In genaral Picture to dull or to bright. Terestrial naff.

Bazza

11. Bombini

Bombini
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @jdg

No probs with my 32PD30 - imo the best tv in it´s class (..and I was searching over 6 months!!!). Can´t see any "black crushing", green faces or dirt patches as posted in the "problem link" on my TV.

You should make your own impression!!! Don`t read too much in the forum ;-)...

Bye,

B.

12. davej

davej
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the instructions in the thread have got the last step round the wrong way - hold down the "-" button on the front panel and then press index on the remote. Works for me.

13. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bazza,

terrestrial I never use - looks OK, a little bright, but I haven't played around with the settings much.

RGB through Sky started off looking too dark and too green on some channels (edges to faces especially). I was disappointed as the composite image looked better. But in the service settings I took the green right down, and some of the red as the green counters the red. The picture then looked a bit "cool", which I guess was the blue pushing through too much, so I set it to "warm", and it looks really good - very natural. I used Avia and the colour bits of plastic to get the balance right.

Contrast I set to about 50%, brightness up to about 65 - 70%. Not a normal setting by any means, but it works for me.

Also use an X-box (again RGB - have done the same as Sky), and have a component PAL prog scan DVD due to arrive tomorrow, which by all accounts should work fine.

Don't know if I have a better one than you. I have made a lot of adjustments, and I love it now - but as with anything, this is my opinion, and it seems to be a very subjective topic. I could be missing out on a better image for all I know. But what I do know is that I like the TV - I've gone back countless times to look at Phillips, Lowe and Toshiba models (e.g PF2) just to make sure, and I still prefer what I have at home.

Cheers

14. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    But surely it will look better cos the sets in the shop haven't been set up correctly with soemthing like Avia.

15. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    True. I've no idea what the possibilities are with another TV and the same amount of time spent setting it up. But the overall point about "is the PD30 that bad" - "no, it's great IMO", still remains.

16. Totalnoobee

Totalnoobee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    shawkins,
    Is the SONY 730 the PS DVD you are waiting for?
    I also have one and I'm interested in knowing how it works with the panny.
    Cheers

17. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes. Got carried away and put it in my sig before it arrived. Techtronics are taking ages with the delivery - ordered last Monday, "sent for picking" on Friday.

I'll let you know how it looks once it arrives. I think I may have to do some further adjustments to get rid of the white bar issue for Pal prog, but that seems an easy fix by all accounts.

Amazing how little time manufacturers seem to spend setting up TVs before they go out.

Regards

Simon

18. Andrew N

Andrew N
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shawkins002,

Could I just ask what settings you have set the red, green and blue to, on the service menu. The green tinge really gets on my nerves when I see it. Also i'll be interested to see what you think of the Pal prog scan picture, because on my TV the green tinge is much much worse in prog scan mode.

Thanks in advance

Andy

19. shawkins002

shawkins002
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sure - I'll have a look tonight and let you know tomorrow. Don't have net access at home unfortunately.

Cheers

20. jdg

jdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Looks like there is hope after all! :)
    Getting my 36" delivered tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers, hoping for a good set without (any serious) faults!

21. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being a ex PD30 owner I must say I think the S-Video connection is really quite good on these sets. Can any other PD30 owner comment on this. I returned the PD30 and have the PF2 and to be quite honest I'm really not sure. I have the opportunity to go back to the PD30 if I want as the delivery men who delivered the PF2 badly marked my front door so the shop owns me one. When I first got the PD30 I thought it was crap but having said that I was amazed last Friday night when I watched the GP qualifying highlights. The colour of the cars and detail was outstanding, and this was on terrestrial. The other highlight was watching "Stuart Little" via S-Video on a satellite receiver. Again the detail and depth was outstanding.
    Now the bad point. Sky RGB was poor along with DVD via component. I managed to check the RBG/S-video comparison by using my Satellite receiver which output a static picture and then you could toggle between RGB and S-video without having to go through various menus and hence forgetting what the original set-up looked like. Using this method I could clearly see a great difference between the two. The picture using RGB was dramatically downgraded with a lot of colour and detail being lost. I must assume this is why Sky RGB also looked poor. I have until next Monday to decide and at present I not sure which way to go. Oh and one more thing, I think the PD30 actually looks a bit nicer. The PF2 is a bit in your face.

22. Bombini

Bombini
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings bazzae123!

I think the RGB picture is sharper and looks more natural compared to S-video or composite picture. In my eyes there are only "more details" visible in S-video or composite mode, cause the pic is overall lighter - not better. The sideeffect of the lighter pic are the loss of sharpness and unnatural colors. It´s a question of taste what you prefer - seeing Palpatines underwear or a sharp pic...

Bye,

B.

23. jdg

jdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my panny 36 inch :)

Looks absolutely awesome!!
    Got a slightly curved corner, but thats about it for the bad things!
    Looks better than phillips, sony and loewe (we dont have Toshiba in scandinavia).

Still calibrating and I will return later with a few questions for the more experienced users (with this particular set).
    But for now I can only recommend this fabulous set!!

24. Pelle

Pelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just finished tweaking my 32PD30 yesterday (finally got access to the servicemenu), and it looks great with a S-Video connection. I have yet to try the component inputs with a suitable DVD-player.

By the way, we DO have Toshiba in scandinavia, at least in Sweden.

25. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +521
    I spent some time yesterday comparing the S-Video input (IXOS S-Video to scart) with the RGB input (Profigold scart-scart) on my 36PD30

My testing was done with a Pioneer 454 DVD player and a Sky+ box. Basically all I did was connect both the RGB and S-Video connections simultaneously and switched between the two inputs on the TV.

On the DVD I found no difference in detail between the RGB and S-Video. Once I had set the brightness/contrast to be the same for both inputs the only difference I found was the black crushing (i.e. cannot see Palpatines shirt on Star Wars II) via RGB that was not evident on S-Video. At the start of scene 4 on Star Wars II a city scape is shown. It has high contrast between the sunny sides of the buildings and their shadowed sides. via RGB I had to turn the brightness right up to see the detail but this was not necessary via S-Vide. (This is not the same as black crushing as the detail can be seen with the brightness turned up.)

I'm not sure if the lack of detail difference between RGB and S-Video indicates a good quality S-Video inputs on the PD30 or bad quality RGB. There is a huge jump in quality from composite to S-Video or RGB.

On Sky+ I could not find any difference between RGB and S-Video but that may be because I have no recorded scenes that illustrate the black crushing problem. I'll keep Sky+ hooked up with both cables so that if I do spot it I can compare the two.

Other posts are making me think that the black crushing is because the RGB output on the DVD player is too high. (e.g. goes away if run the RGB output through a pass through, or connect up the component and RGB simultaneously.) This may explain why not all DVD players produce the problem.

Can anyone with a DVD player that lets you set the RGB output level (e.g. Panny S75 has settings for CRT, plasma, etc) confirm if this is true?

26. jdg

jdg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pelle, looks like you are partly right! you do have toshiba in Sweden, but not in Denmark.

I do have a few questions, that I hope the more experienced users of this set, can help me with.

Sound

1. What is the difference between "base" and "3d base"?

2. I have my digital box connected to AV1. However, I am not sure I am getting a stereo signal, since it doesn't post anything about sound, if I press the status button. Is there any way I can make sure that I am receiving a stereo signal?

Picture

3. What are the best settings for "sharpness" and "p-nr"?

4. Regarding pal progressive; Is there a difference in the picture quality-vise, between using the tv's internal progressive function or feeding the tv a progressive signal from a dvd player? Does it flicker as much? Im asking this, because my dvd player (denon 2800 mk I) only supports NTSC progressive; in other words, would it be worth upgrading to a player with pal progressive?

Thanks in advance for your help!

27. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    garydhooper M8,

What's your PD30 like on Sky via RGB inputs. Can you see the interference as reported. On my 32" its all over the place with RGB and my Sky picture is not that good. Its not bad but I've seen it better on my old tosh set. On most film channels via sky the picture is a bit dull and greyish looking. I was wondering if it was the interference on the RGB causing this as the TV must be trying to handle the interference as well as the picture. If the sky picture was as good as the terrestrial one I would be really happy. I believe this TV is capable of showing a really good picture but this is not the case with Sky via RBG. I can't try it via S-video because I don't have Sky+
    Any feedback would be appreciated.

Bazza

28. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +521
    Hi Bazza

I am very pleased with the Sky+ picture via RGB. Last night I was watching it and was constantly being impressed with the picture quality. I don't have any film channels but have sometimes noticed that the picture can be a little on the green side. You can lower the green push in the service menu if this troubles you.

My previous PD30 picture was much worse though (I only ever used RGB on this set). It always looked either really grey and dull or as if the colour was turnd up too high. I was forever playing with the settings to get a decent picture. I sent the TV back and the replacement is much better.

Watching DVD via RGB I can see horizontal grey flashing lines of interference on black backgrounds. These dissapear if I turn the brightness/contrast below 65/70%. I thought that this might be mains interference so I tried different cables and using a ferrite coe around the mains lead. None of this made any difference. I now wonder if this is something to do with the RGB output level of the DVD player as I have never seen this with Sky+. This may explain why the dark crushing is evident with some DVD models but not others

29. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks M8,

That's what I see with RGB on Sky especially when the film finishes and the credits start to role and there's a black background. The strange thing is I was looking for it last night and it wasn't on all channels. I managed to get a time when a few films had finished and the interference lines weren't on all sides.
    Hopefully I can get it shorted with RS as I'm not a happy bunny at present, what with the smudge marks as well.

Thanks again M8

Bazza

30. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, according to my local RS store my PD30 is not faulty. The reasoning behind this is the fact the returns Clark hasn't had to send one back yet so on this basis mine is not faulty, I'm just being a bit critical of the severe on screen smudging and the unacceptable amount of noise on the RGB inputs. When I told them I would bring in the Avia disk and show them the amount of smudging they told me that was unfair as they wouldn't be able to replicate the fault without using this disk so therefore, in there eyes, the set was not faulty because they wouldn't be able to see the fault under normal operating conditions. Again I was being to critical!!!
    They have offered me a full refund but I think its not the issue now. The issue is they are quite prepared to ignore my observations, and even the two guys they sent round to look at it and they recommended a exchange as it wasn't right, and insist the set is not faulty. I've just made it all up and brain washed the two guys who came round into thinking its faulty. All because the returns Clark hasn't returned any yet.

Don't you just love it.

Bazza:suicide: