Is Panasonic the most Popular

Rookies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ive always been a Panasonic Fan as never had any trouble with the sets ive had up to date.

But mostly we hear about Panasonic TV and Samsung on this forum. Has sony died down are they not as good anymore? Or other brands too

Panasonic and Samsung make good plasma as well as LCD.

LG are good for LCD, especially passive 3D and make panels for Panasonic.

Sony seem to be struggling at the moment but I believe some of their LCDs are still well received.

Sharp are king of gimmick IMO but many may disagree.

JVC don't make sets now.

Philips seem to have lost ground but I may be wrong.

Sony are working with Panasonic on 4k OLED.

LG and Samsung are also making OLED with LG further ahead I believe.

Panasonic are popular on these forums and in many of the magazines. But in terms of sales popularity, just go to any of the local TV shops and the floor is full of Samsung, LG and other cheaper sets.
The Japanese are suffering from poor sales figures, and although Panasonic still produce good products, this cannot be sustained if they don't sell well. A pity..

Personally i prefer samsung, panasonic seems overpriced for the performance.

If money is not an issue then buy a panny but im not convinced the price difference over a similar samsung is justified for the small increase in performance.

For example i have a d8000 plasma and the equivalent panny would have been about a grand extra but the performance is certainly not a thousand pound better so why pay it??

Panasonic make over priced lcd's firstly, and then overrated lcd's secondly imho. If i was an LCD fan, it would really need to be a high end Samsung. Better electronics and black levels.

I couldn't have lcd as my main display, will have a new 50" plasma for that. But for what it's worth I've really got quite used to the little 22" lcd (Toshiba) i have been using in the meantime. Gets pretty darned accurate with a few tweaks and incredibly have actually got used to the size as it's been that long since my last 50" plasma because of unforseen cash flow issues. I will put it back in the kitchen soon enough but great image for it's size. Would make a lovely little monitor.

Personally i prefer samsung, panasonic seems overpriced for the performance.

If money is not an issue then buy a panny but im not convinced the price difference over a similar samsung is justified for the small increase in performance.

For example i have a d8000 plasma and the equivalent panny would have been about a grand extra but the performance is certainly not a thousand pound better so why pay it??

I have a 51" D8000 plasma and paid ÂŁ769 brand new last year . I also have a 50" GT50 and paid ÂŁ799 brand new a few weeks back .

So your argument is false equivalent Panasonic models are not ÂŁ1000 more. They are roughly the same price. You must of been comparing a year old Samsung (2011) to a new model Panasonic (2012). Both of my sets were bought after a year from their release.

I have a 51" D8000 plasma and paid ÂŁ769 brand new last year . I also have a 50" GT50 and paid ÂŁ799 brand new a few weeks back .

So your argument is false equivalent Panasonic models are not ÂŁ1000 more. They are roughly the same price. You must of been comparing a year old Samsung (2011) to a new model Panasonic (2012). Both of my sets were bought after a year from their release.

Sorry mate but you're wrong in my case, my 64" d8000 cost me ÂŁ2300 and the nearest equivalent panny was 65" and a grand more expensive but the performance difference certainly didnt warrant the extra cash so i maintain panasonic tvs are overpriced for what you get.

depends on when it was bought as Samsung prices seem to drop more over the year.

best to judge newly released sets

the Samsung f8500 51" is around the 1.8k -1.9k pretty much the same price as the Vt65 and the gt60 is 1.4k. the 50" st60 is 1k and doubt the Samsung will perform that much better . and the 64" f8500 is 3k while the 65" Vt65 is 3.5k.

most of time prices between the two brands is not much different

Sorry mate but you're wrong in my case, my 64" d8000 cost me ÂŁ2300 and the nearest equivalent panny was 65" and a grand more expensive but the performance difference certainly didnt warrant the extra cash so i maintain panasonic tvs are overpriced for what you get.

so you reckon a brand new 50" GT50 with 5 year warranty and 2 x 3D glasses for ÂŁ799.99 delivered is overpriced?

please could you inform me of a equivalent or better samsung for less or same money?

To be fair your an extreme case and to judge panasonic on that is a tad silly.

I had a panny plasma for 4 years and it has been faultless. Just upgraded with a 2012 model (massively reduced), and the picture on a plasma is so much better. Unless you watch Mary poppins films have shadows in, usually quite a lot, and LCD can't compete

Mine is the d8000 plasma, i wouldnt give an lcd house room!! LOL

To me, Samsung and LG tellies seem like the kind of thing that are right at the front of PC world, where the average joe just takes them to the till because they're cheap and have lots of features.
Panasonic strikes me as the TV for people who do their research.

Sony tvs have good sound quality, though, same can't be said for Panasonic or Samsung and possibly LG. However, Sony seems to be a big fan of leaning their tvs backwards, which gets on my nerves. They're also not very easy to use for me.

To me, Samsung and LG tellies seem like the kind of thing that are right at the front of PC world, where the average joe just takes them to the till because they're cheap and have lots of features.
Panasonic strikes me as the TV for people who do their research.

Sony tvs have good sound quality, though, same can't be said for Panasonic or Samsung and possibly LG. However, Sony seems to be a big fan of leaning their tvs backwards, which gets on my nerves. They're also not very easy to use for me.

The sound from the VT65 is meant to be very good, possibly the best.
Design sells TVs at the mo so yes normally Samsung LCDs etc that get the best places in Currys etc. Samsung have come a long way with plasma in the last 3 years though matching and beating Panasonic in areas.

50hz motion up until this year from what I can make out - great sets from Panny no doubt but things like that and the price differential between the US/UK cost of their new high end sets shows they don't think much of the Euro/UK markets ...

Right, but one more month and there won't be any old stock left, so... is there still anything where Samsung is better?

So to stop that loss they have to bring in ÂŁ13.3 million PROFIT not turnover each day for the next year - now that will take quite some going if its possible . I wonder where that will come from ?

Or that Panasonic TVs are not selling anymore. :blush:

Sorry OP. ;)

That's also part of it sadly, if they promoted plasma better they'd likely have more sales, sadly though with the world as it is they'd still be looking at a loss.

The Chinese are coming too so I can see one or two of the big boys going the way of pioneer sadly.

Panasonic are most popular with enthusiasts due to the Plasma line. And quite rightly. They've basically got Pioneer's Kuro market.

Sony are equally popular with enthusiasts due to the HX/XBR Bravias, which carry on a long tradition of accurate colours and good contrast.

Commercially, Samsung is still no.1 and LG is not far behind. These are the modern day equivalent of Argos Vestel made widescreen CRTs in the 90s.

Yes, they have stacks of features but they are in essence just average/above average TVs compared to the two Japanese brands.

Toshiba can be good but like Philips they have no clear identity or consistency across ranges.

Sharp might be good at the panels themselves but have never been anything to write home about for actual sets.

At the moment it's...

- Panasonic
- LG
- SAMSUNG

Sony seem to be struggling with TV's now. Back in the days, Sony and Panasonic use to dominate the market but now LG, SAMSUNG have become very powerful and a trusted brand. The thing with Panasonic is that there TV's are great quality but too expensive, same goes for Sony.

You walk into any retailers selling TV's, majority of them on display will be LG, SAMSUNG followed by a few Panasonic/Sony. This is where Panasonic/Sony can not keep up in terms of price. LG design's for TV are unique, as soon as they announce something, you get SAMSUNG following similar designs. It's either they copy or work close with LG for design rights etc.

Philips have a weird marketing plan, you won't find their TV's in most retail stores. Philips TV's are widely available online from various different retailers (more like exclusivity/market lock). Philips TV's are really good.

Last edited:
Sony seem to be struggling with TV's now.

LG design's for TV are unique, as soon as they announce something, you get SAMSUNG following similar designs. It's either they copy or work close with LG for design rights etc.

I think you'll find LG is copying Samsung. They are fierce rivals and are fighting for the same market, much like Sony and Panasonic, which each have similar designs/ideas. Sony isn't struggling - TV division is doing well and have had great successes with high-end TVs these last few years.

Not sure where you got that information...?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom