Is PAL PS needed??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by JayBee, Jun 6, 2004.

1. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was looking into getting a progressive scan DVD player, and noticed one that converted PAL signal to NTSC progressive and obviously outputted NTSC as NTSC progressive.

This got me to thinking. If the DVD was hooked up to a SD(?) plasma screen that only has 480 lines anyway, would it still be worth getting a player that supported PAL PS. Or would it actually be better to have a player that converted to NTSC PS?

Thanks for helping a confused newbie :)

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    you would be relying that the conversion is done remotely well..... it isnt beyond possibility that it is done poorly enough so as to make things look awful

ad

3. JayBee

JayBee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So by having a player that outputs both PAL & NTSC progressive, I am free to either let the screen (plasma) do the conversion or even an external scaler(?) if I so choose?

Thanks. Thought it'd probably be better to allow things to come out of the player as natural as possible, but just wanted to check.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah you are right, though if you were using an external processing solution you would just use an interlaced signal and let the processor deinterlace

ad

5. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    If you have a PAL to NTSC progressive coverter then I think I am right in saying that the Panny PW6 with DVI would actually work this way.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hmmmm that would be hopeful.... chances are the output would be ntsc resolution at pal refresh rate.... which is a problem were it the case. As far as im aware, the dvi can handle pal progressive, it is 480p at 50Hz is the issue

ad