Is PA speaker cable good for regular Hi-Fi speaker cable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by TOM82, Sep 15, 2018.

1. TOM82

TOM82
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I've been looking into buying some speaker cable for MA Silver S6 2002 and NAD C370, I'm obviously looking into to getting the best stuff i can afford I need about 20m.
    Recently I've noticed PA speaker cable goes quite cheaply on ebay second hand, I've seen 25m dual core 2.5mm, go for about £20, is this cable good enough for Hi-fi cable or is it rated differently?
    Thanks

2. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +760
    Yes yes a thousand times yes..... The most important attribute of a cable is to have low resistance. For two reasons.. more of the signal power gets through, but even more important is that the amplifer can control the speaker.by not decreasing it's damping factor.
    2.5 mm sq copper is fine, 4 mm sq is better ,but overkill and 6.5 or 10 mm sq cooker wiring optimal, but gross overkill

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,133
    PA speaker cable ...or.... PA Speaker WIRE?

As long as the wire is COPPER, real copper, not CCA (copper clad aluminum), and as long as the wire is big enough, that's all the really matters.

Generally 2.5mm² or 14ga (2.08mm²) serves a vast majority of people in a vast majority of circumstances. I believe this wire has the ability to sustain 300w to 400w for an extended period of time. Likely you will not have 300w to 400w amp channels, and even if you did, this wire would still handle it.

Wire is wire is wire ...as long as... it is Copper.

Steve/bluewizard

4. noiseboy72

noiseboy72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,637
    2.5mm cable will sustain 2-3KW of music signal for a indefinite length of time!!

PA speaker cable from any of the known manufacturers will do very well. The only issue is that it is a bit ugly for domestic use.

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,133
    Speaker Wire in Prespective -How much is Enough?

14ga wire (2.08mm²) would look like this -

279 sustained watts
    1800 peak working watts
    8192 max peak watts

13ga Speaker wire is the nearest in gauged wire to 2.5mm² -

13ga (2.62mm²) Copper Cable -

438 Sustained Watts
    +2200 Working Peak (best guess)
    9800 Max Peak Watts

Though I concede these numbers are related to Household Electricity not Music Signals.

Peak Working Watts
    or Working Peak indicates that the wire is safe and functional up to this rating. But there is a limited amount of time that it can sustain this power level.

For example, a 14ga extension cord would be rated at about 1800w. Though as you can see from the Max Peak Watts, short term, it is capable well beyond that.

But no matter how you slice it and dice it, common 14ga or 2.5mm² will more than get the job done for a very vast majority of people. In other very high end systems where people have 500w/ch to 1000w/ch amps, perhaps then other wire could be considered.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  6. tomstephens89

tomstephens89

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have used Van Damme Blue series 2.5mm square for numerous systems of my own, with long runs of 20m or so in my living room. Plus side is its high quality, very flexible. Down side is its thick blue cable and is ugly.

Recently I bought a load of 4mm square kabelDirect OFC copper shotgun cable from Amazon. Works really good and looks a bit prettier as its in a transparent jacket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LFA99E6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For my new system I'm putting together, cable of choice is Van Damme 6mm square OFC Hi-Fi series. Only 2m runs to two speakers from a Cambridge Audio Azur 840W.

Long story short.... Copper is copper, as long as its pure, the gauge is big enough to handle the power & keep the resistance low over your required length, and the winding of the strands is good, then you're good.