1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is P2P safe to use?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Jimmi, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Jimmi

Jimmi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I've been reading into the BT client and found various posts on forums about how P2P programs by passes firewalls and can be dangerous to use. Some people claim that most of this talk is from MPAA type lobbies trying to steer people away from file sharing by scarmongering. Anyone know where the truth lies and what the risks are?

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I have used P2P before and well, i didnt have any problems and was able to download some good stuff.
    There is always a risk, and you have to decide wether you take it or not.

Personaly I feel that there is a lot of scaremongering going on, and ive been using the net without any serious security and nothings ever happened to me!
    I think companies like norton want us to think that every hacker out there is trying to hack into our computers, but the truth is most will only hack companies or other sources that will provide them with useful information.

Just use your common sense and dont be afraid to try something at least once.

Personaly I dont agree with file sharing as it does hurt the original makers.

If everyone downloads everything and never pays for it, the makers wont be able to earn enough money to keep making!

3. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Legitimate or non-legitimate downloads of executables across any P2P network is always going to run the risk of infecting your machine with virii/trojans/spyware/etc if you're not careful.

That being said, most downloadable files are perfectly safe, at least that's been my experience. But even though I've never had a virus or trojan on my machine, I still keep up to date virus software (AVG has a nice free version) as well as a firewall on my machine. (in addition to one on the router itself) If in doubt, do some reading on the main anti-virus vendor websites, as they give details on exploits, virii, etc. Also, it couldn't hurt to check out forums on the P2P apps themselves, as users will give you a good idea how much trouble is out there.

BitTorrent, specifically, is being used more and more for legitimate (ie, non-copyright-infringing) uses. It's a great utility, both for people looking for data, as well as those who are looking for a good way to deliver their data to others. You might want to check out the different BitTorrent clients as well. I use Azureus, which is a lot more user-friendly than vanilla BT.

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I too use Bittorrent and use it a lot for downloading demos and trailers. Really hate having to wait on fileplanet for downloads.

Most of the publicity about P2P programs is usually overstated. There are some clients that employ spyware, but this is not for the misuse to directly harm you but simply to get data on what you do for marketing reasons.

Personally, through the use of Anti-Virus software, spyware scanners (adaware) and even simple NAT you can keep 99.9% of the internet out. The only people interested in hacking your home PC are usually script kiddies, guys who are serious about it will usually go after corporations or highly secure areas.