Is overscan "on" for HD material a no, no?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by MrNPG, Jan 12, 2008.

1. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Hi folks,

From what I have read and experimented with, it is best to have overscan turned ON for SD material but OFF for HD material.

However, I prefer to switch it on even for HD material as some of my 1.85:1 DVD's end up with borders at the top and bottom AND at the sides, which ruins the "look" of the movie, IMO.

But, is it detrimental to use overscan for HD material or does it not make any difference (apart from the size of the image on the screen)?

Cheers.

2. Heavysalad

Heavysalad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    I'm sure its not detremental to have overscan on for HD... but I'm sure you lose the 1:1 pixel mapping.

Its just down to preference and how you see the PQ... if you don't notice any loss of PQ then fill yer boots.

I may be wrong but I see the PQ degrade noticibly with overscan 'on' both on SD and HD sources... to me, its the same as trying to enlarge a photographic image in photoshop to slightly more than 100% of its actual resolution... it loses its sharpness.

3. YellowSphere

YellowSphere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    Which discs do you have the problem with? And what player are you using?

Interested because I haven't heard of this problem before (except from Studio Ghibli DVDs because that's the way they make them)

4. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    This is on my Sony BDP-S300 player but so far I have only noticed it on SD DVD's (upscaled to 1080i).

On my previous plasma (non-HD) I presume overscan was always on as there was no option to turn it off. 1.85:1 DVD's would completely fill the screen with no borders at all. On the Sony player and my new plasma, 1.85:1 DVD's have small borders visable. Turn the overscan on and hey presto, the borders are gone and the image fills the screen.

I know this isn't a "fault" but am just curious as to whether I will loose out on anything else by keeping overscan ON for the HDMI input (be it upscaled DVD's or Blu-rays).