Is Optical needed?

Elecia

Standard Member
Hi guys, I'm not completely clued up on Home Cinema Systems, so a little advice would be nice. I'll try and make this as straight forward as possible!

I have bought a 22" LG 2LS4R. The connections are as follows:
HDMI/DVI
RGB PC TV in
S-VIDEO
AUDIO mono (red + white)
AUDIO component
Video component (blue + green)
Antenna in
SCART

I have also bought a Pioneer DCS-363 DVD Home Cinema System. The connections are as follows:
HDMI
Video out
AUDIO in/out (red + white)
Control out

These are the connections that I can visibly see and are relevant.

I have connected the systems together via SCART as I am waiting on a HDMI cable that I have ordered from Play.com

Okay so the problem is, I want sound from my LG (when watching normal analogue tele) to come from the Pioneer speakers. I've done some playing around with the sound options on the LG but no luck.

Would it be possible to get sound from the LG to the Pioneer by using the AUDIO IN/OUT (red + white) connectors?

Or will I have to start looking for a Home Cinema with an optical connection? Even if I do get a Home Cinema with optical, my LG doesn't have an Optical input, so I guess I will have to get an Optical to Coaxial converter right?

I'm not too fussed about getting Dolby Surround Sound on normal tele, just any sound will do.

I don't really wanna have to trudge back to Empire Direct with the Pioneer.
Also any suggestions for a better Home Cinema around the £250 mark would be appreciated.

Thanks

madhouse

Hiya,

I was unable to get the manuals from the individual websites, but from what I read I think you should be able to just connect a cable from the headphone out on the LG to the audio in (red & white RCA sockets) of the Pioneer. You can buy a 3,5mm stereo to RCA plugs cable in many different lengths.

Hope this helps.

Simon

Elecia

Standard Member
Thanks guys. I will try and look for cable you spoke of.
Another thing is that I'm going to be buying the Humax 9200-T Freeview box which has Optical out, what will happen to the sound when I add this into the equation?

I'm thinking of taking the Pionner back(I love the look of it but now not so sure), I've read a few threads on the forum and I'm thinking the Samsung HT-X30R is good for my price range and has optical input which should go into the Optical output of Humax, and the Dolby sound from the TV should, correct? (or not, im confused lol)

trailer

If you use the Freeview box you won't need the TV for any sound input/output.

(I'm guessing you've got speakers attached to the Pioneer)

Just put the optical out of the Freeview box into the amp. Connect the TV for video only either direct to the TV or via the amp if possible.

Elecia

Standard Member
If you use the Freeview box you won't need the TV for any sound input/output.

(I'm guessing you've got speakers attached to the Pioneer)

Just put the optical out of the Freeview box into the amp. Connect the TV for video only either direct to the TV or via the amp if possible.

Thanks Trailer. The Pioneer is an all in one system with no optical input. So I would need to get the Samsung HT-X30R which has optical input for the sound.

So I could use the HDMI cable to transfer video between the Samsung and TV.

Thanks a lot for your help.

trailer

OK

Looks like:

Freeview: SCART direct to TV. Optical to Samsung

Samsung: hdmi to TV

Let the Samsung do the sound for you.

You'll have to change input on the TV when you switch between watching the Freeview and the Samsung DVD.

trailer

I would imagine in the set up menu of the Samsung there would be an option to use the Scart and also an option in the Freeview box to output to the optical.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom