Is optical all I need for Sky

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by markmac, May 28, 2004.

1. markmac

markmac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have just bought a Sony DAV SC-5 and was wondering if all I need to connect my Sky box to the system is an optical cable or whether I would also need to connect the 3 phono leads too. As for the rest, I am OK. I will connect the SC-5 and Sky to my TV using RGB scart leads.
    Any help would be appreciated before I go and waste a heap of cash on wasted cables.
    Cheers,
    Mac

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    do you intend only to connect the sc-5 to the tv or both it and sky? If the later, you only need the optical connection (im assuming that the sc-5 has such an INput)

ad

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Assuming that your Sky box has a digital audio output (mine doesn't) that would be used to connect the sound from Sky to the DAV

The optimum picture connection for both the Sky box and the DAV is RGB but you need to ensure that your TV has two RGB enabled scart sockets if you intend to buy RGB only scart leads

4. markmac

markmac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do intend to connect my DAV and Sky box to my TV and I'm unsure if both scarts on the TV are RGB (I think they are). The Sky box does have a digital output so now I will order an optical cable and not bother with the phono leads. Another question - Why would you need the 3 phono leads? Is this for when you only use one scart on the TV and have the Sky box routed throught the DAV?
    Thanks v.much

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Not sure but this is probably a pair of stereo analogue inputs plus a video input (maybe with a yellow collar). The video input will only pass composite signals which are considerably poorer than RGB

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    spot on the money..... I never did see the point in connecting this way since you can do the same thing with scart if you were silly enough!

You are lucky to have 2 RGB scarts, any tv i ever had was one only.

In fact, after I type it, I suspect the 3 phono connection may have been a US thing.... in saying you could easily do the same thing with scart probably means the connection started outside of scart country....

ad