Answered Is OLED the only way to go now?

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by Dextur, Jul 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Thinking of an upgrade, been out of the picture for a couple of years and trying to catch up fast.

Are any of the non OLED offerings a big jump up from my old curved Sony 60" LCD or is it an "all or nothing" type situation now.

Thanks.

Simon

2. Best Answer:
    Post #4 by fat jez, Jul 16, 2018 (2 points)
  3. Cameron583

Cameron583

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    An LCD with FALD will still offer a big step up in terms of image quality. However the 55 inch OLEDs around £1200 are really difficult to compete with - they're probably the best value for money mid/high end TVs at the moment.

4. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Pretty much, especially if you're going to buy your first and it's the b7 for 1174 from Richer....that would be a huge leap from your current set.

I went from a Panny to a 2nd gen LG (the EC30v) and the leap was huge. Still using the TV now but considering a move to 4k now even though...there's bugger all in 4k I plan on watching haha.

5. fat jez

fat jez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +916
    Best Answer
    Pretty much what @Cameron583 said. In terms of picture quality, I'd say it was
    1. OLED
    2. Full Array Local Dimming LED
    3. Edge Lit LED
    The trouble is, number 2 is relatively uncommon and swamped by a plethora of Edge Lit sets. Even the mid range Samsung sets are pretty much all Edge Lit. When you are spending the money to get a FALD set, you pretty much might as well just get an OLED.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Derek S-H

Derek S-H
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,864
    I'd completely go along with Jez's comment above.

I have a 65" OLED and my boss a 55" FALD LCD (LED is LCD, it's just all in the backlighting) and there's simply no comparison.

My TV's images are more natural, more solid-looking, less garish and more cinematic. Go OLED if you can afford it.

What's your budget, viewing distance and content requirements?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  7. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,095
    Speaking personally, for my main lounge TV, I wouldn't consider anything other than OLED.

Martin.

8. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I've just jumped on the OLED bandwagon with a C7.
    My previous KS7000 was superb, I just "fancied a change".
    Biggest opponent was my wife. She couldn't see the point.
    A month on, she's sold on it too.
    We didn't think things could get better........... they just did.

9. mattl80

mattl80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Same here. when from KS7000 to B7 OLED. I didn't really see the point in HDR 4K until i got the OLED. It just works so well due to the deep blacks. Best TV i've had since my Pioneer Plasma.

10. Coulson

Coulson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    Also
    1. Sony's Edge lit xe93 series actually has better picture quality than the their mid range FALD TVs. This isn't normally the case, but it does show that even apparently inferior technologies can be made to produce superior end product if implemented in the right way.
    2. OLED isn't the best option for bright rooms.
    3. OLED still isn't the best option for "impactful" HD.

My priorities are to have the best 4k HDR experience possible, followed by the best HD upscaling.

I don't doubt that OLED does have the best overall picture quality but I still wander if I really want an OLED as I want the best HDR picture and tone mapping possible. Dolby Vision is supposed to fix that for OLEDs but even that has/had(?) issues with raised blacks. I think I need a proper demo so I can actually see the difference.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  11. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I think what it centres around is everyone has their own tastes and preferences,but generally people and reviewers view oled as the best possible at the moment.

Having been an OLED sceptic before, I was shown a variety of clips (life of pi particularly memorable) on a 65XE90 and a 55B7, side by side. I couldn’t get over the difference, and even though I know the XE93 is a better set than the xe90, I then asked for the same clips to be shown on that, a 55 inch. Took a lot of wandering back and forth but eventually I came to the conclusion that most reviewers have - it’s not perfect, but oled is a significant improvement. Of course, not everyone likes the technology, or has a set up suitable to make it work in their room, but each to their own.

Where do you live @Coulson? Might be able to recommend a store near you

12. Coulson

Coulson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    Thanks @sagaris99 I will speak to you by PM. Anyway the recent price reductions for OLED has really thrown a spanner in the works for me :)

13. pressure

pressure

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    I agree that OLED is the best in absolute term and I want to buy one.

But I do think that people with very bright rooms with light-coloured decoration may be better off with an LED, especially if it’s not “critical” viewing. I wouldn’t buy a Samsung qled for my situation, but I can totally see why it could be a better option for many people.

14. Coulson

Coulson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I have just watched Victor's 2018 TV shootout and the results were interesting. The OLEDs pretty much owned the competition outside of gaming which was handily won by the Q9. So I changed my mind again. Then I read that the winner doesn't have DV and I changed my mind again lol. I am worried about image retention but also slow panning judder which I don't "think" even the C8 has sorted yet.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  15. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Thanks guys.

I currently have a KD65X9005B

65” curved Sony.

IIRC it was about £4000

I used to be a huge insane early adopter but priorities have changed now.

I still want a big screen, at least 65” or bigger but I just went to currys (I know) and the very best FALD LCD’s seemed dangerously close to the OLED until you pressed your nose to the screen and I will be 15 ‘ away from the TV

I don’t mind paying but the LCD’ looked much better than mine and a 75” wasn’t crazy insane money.

65” we’re almost cheap compared to OLED.

Id there a flavour of the month as to which OLED to buy currently ? Value for money etc.

Our living room is pretty darn bright.

Thank you.

16. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Ok dug around the forums and the LG B7 OLED 65% seems like a great TV for not huge ££. Although probably likely to drop shortly with the new version coming out?

I was hoping to go a little bigger than 65% but the 77" is insane in OLED.

So I'm torn now , 65" OLED or Top end LCD 75"..

All input appreciated.

Thank you.

17. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    oh Learning as I go, the QLED is more expensive than the OLED!

Didn't see that coming.

18. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    So the B7 price is so good as the last dregs of stock are coming through

Is definitely a good deal if it entices you, but the price of the C8 (as I’m sure you’ve read on here) is very very good at the moment - 2500 net cost. Granted there isn’t a huge jump between them, but if the price is close the 65C8 definitely doesn’t disappoint - side by side the difference is very noticeable.

If your goal is size, go for a 75 LED, something from Sony or the LG75SK8100 is a very good package atm. However, if like most of us you value picture quality over size, definitely stick with a 65 OLED. The main price drops on the 2018 models have mostly happened, next big drops will come with Black Friday - but that more favours the 55 inch TVs.

19. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Thanks, you're saying the pq is very noticable between the C8 and the B8?

Re size over PQ, I'm not exactly hating my old Sony 2014 and so I'm going to bet the Samsung QLED 75" beat the snot out of it?

I really would like a big assed screen as the place we're moving to has a huge wall that's perfect.

20. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433

Side by side yes, but if you bought the B8 or the B7 you wouldn’t be disappointed with it. Issue with the 65B8 at the moment is it’s 300 more than the 65C8 despite being the lesser TV - madness.

I get what you’re saying about the big screen effect, and there’s a risk depending on the size of the room that a 65 could be too small... somehow but be clear, I’d never accuse a 65 of being a small tv. Shop floors don’t do the sizes justice, they even make 55's look small

Obviously everyone’s preference are different, but I’d rather take a 65 OLED. The only QLED that really gives the OLEDs a run is the Q9FN (wouldn’t even be considering the Q7 or Q6 as they’re edge lit). 75Q9FN comes in at 5999 - to be honest at that price, I’d swallow the extra 1000 and take the 77C8.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  21. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    I just saw the Q9 QLED 65" is £1.5k more expensive than the B7 OLED !!!!!

22. Dextur

Dextur

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,771
    Even the Q7 QLED 65" is about £2,500 so again more than the presumably superior LG B7 OLED..

23. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    In fairness, the B7 has had over a year on sale to drop price, the Q9fn only been about since April as a 2018 product

24. Cameron583

Cameron583

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    I don't agree with that - because OLEDs have an infinite contrast ratio, the handle brighter environments better than an LCD, since the reason bright rooms affects viewing, is because it washed out the picture, making blacks look more grey.

On an LCD, they look more grey to start with, and so end up being quite washed out.

This effect is best seen on a phone - GSMarena have a sunlight legibility test section, and OLEDs dominate the test, even 400 Nit displays Vs 700+ LCD displays.

25. Tim2049

Tim2049

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +445
    - The Sony won't be quite as bright as the C8, but your motion headaches will no longer be an issue.

26. con100

con100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I really wanted this to be my experience but unfortunately I feel the opposite. I got rid of my ks7500 and replaced it with my current C7 oled. I still miss my KS so bad, I loved that tv and while I find the C7s overall image quality comparable I can’t help feeling the KS had a nicer, more detailed picture.

Don’t get me wrong the Samsung had issues when the lights went off. I had some light bleed from the left corner and in this regard the oled hands down has better dark room performance. In an ambiantly lit room or in daylight my Samsung had a beautiful image that I just can’t seem to recreate on my C7.

Oled is perhaps wasted on me and would never say it is an inferior option...it’s not, however for my needs it just underwhelms. I don’t get the Wow that I did from viewing the KS, regularly. Conversely, I don’t feel disappointed to be thrown out of a scene because of light bleeding on the C7 as I did sometimes on the Samsung, so I think there are obvious highlights & shortcomings to both sets.

The only thing I have connected to my tv is a set top box (youview) never had a games console nor blu-ray player etc connected which most likely would change my opinion as I hear that oled’s shine in this regard. My use is simple TV HD/SD viewing and I honestly think my KS had better image quality from the same source.
    I know this is not popular opinion and am in the minority. Perhaps I was simply spoiled with one of samsungs better panels as I hear many KS owners have other issues. Other than slight bleed mine was a fantastic set.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  27. Coulson

Coulson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    It's funny because I asked specifically about HDR and HD upscaling in the B7 review thread. The only response I have received so far is from a happy B7 owner. But even he says that the upscaling on the B7 doesn't seem to him to be quite as good as Sony. On HDR he said that the blacks makes the difference even though the screen isn't as bright. For me I very much like the picture quality of the Sony. I also think I will probably not like the slow panning stutter LG's OLEDs produce and I don't want to have to worry about the "possibility" of screen burn.
    Maybe like you I have been spoilt with a great panel on which even "faux" Dolby Vision looks good. So for my next TV I will probably stick with what I know.

28. con100

con100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Before I sold my KS I had it beside my C7 and one of the first things my GF said was that the KS was nicer in displaying an episode of Bbc’s Eastenders. I agreed with her & found that up close I could see that the samsung was working hard to process and smooth the content while my oled wasn’t doing anything to improve the quality. To be honest, it looked terrible. The pixelation was blocky and seemed to be dancing all over all shadow detail. With direct comparison the KS (while still pixelated) handled things much better.
    Both sets were showing an SD broadcast & with both having ‘noise reduction’ set to Low..Obviously when switched to BBc HD the picture on both improved no end. I think this is when I began doubting my decision to sell my KS tbh and for a while considered keeping as our bedroom tv, in the end, she was having none of that..one or the other ;) and sold the sammy. I kinda reasoned that LG would release an update or something to improve noise/upscaling but sadly I still see poor processing with SD.

As to HDR, I generally think it looks superb on the C7. I don’t know what DV is doing but I definitely feel it’s comparable to my old KS (if not better) which was highly regarded for its handling of HDR due to its higher (nits) peak brightness. The C7 is perfectly adequate with hdr imo

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  29. Coulson

Coulson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    I remember back when the first HD LCDs came out, SD stuff looked awful. It wasn't until I got my Panny Plasma that I could watch DVDs again without wincing lol. Nowadays, on the Sony (and even an old F5500 series Samsung), DVDs look pretty much like they used to on my old CRT. So although I am more interested in HDR these days, it's nice to know that I don't have to worry too much when watching lower quality stuff.

30. Coulson

Coulson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    Im standing inside Richer Sounds at the moment in front of an AF8, B7, XF90 and FZ8 In my totally unscientific survey of TVs in torch mode showing Planet Earth 2, the Sony LED and OLED show way more detail than any of the others followed by the B7 and FZ8.

So it looks like the Sonys have the best shop mode setup out of the box.:)

31. CMPMERIDIAN

CMPMERIDIAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    It’s the processing. When I compared them A1e and C8 side by side. The Sony was more clear and not over sharp but like I put in glasses and it looked more focused.