Is OLED really "the best thing ever"?

tuckerdognc

Novice Member
Well I’d say with your environment you may want to go OLED…

Trouble is, burn in… Now many OLED owners will swear blind it’s almost a non issue and while personally I’ve had no burn in over the years of owning one (I don’t watch much with anything static but it was a constant battle with the kids to remind them)… I’ve seen far to many threads on here and other places of people struggling to get Richersounds or John Lewis to cover panel replacement for OLED burn in and it occurring almost out of the blue.

You’ll have to see what you’re most comfortable with… Remember if you’re UK based go for QN94A not QN90A, the 94 has higher brightness, better panel and anti reflective coating. In the US tho the QN90A is essentially the QN95A.
It seems that the dark room click is the only reason to go with OLED. Frankly, I think I may be able to tweak the brightness vs. the stress, sturm und drang with the OLED. And one thing that always makes me nuts, is the PLASMA never quite seems bright enough. :) And,yes, in the US.

Amorris

It seems that the dark room click is the only reason to go with OLED. Frankly, I think I may be able to tweak the brightness vs. the stress, sturm und drang with the OLED. And one thing that always makes me nuts, is the PLASMA never quite seems bright enough. :) And,yes, in the US.

For the most part now a days ye, even though response times are lower on OLED they’re so low on MiniLED Samsung sets it makes no difference anyway. So no real observable difference… Infact OLED may suffer from judder at lower framerate content. Also if you say look at some of the rting local dimming enabled shots on QN90A for blooming, it’s such a marginal difference between that and the C1. Which is great tbh, because up until now LCD TVs we’re really the obvious 2nd choice vs OLED.

Id say in dark environments you may aswell go OLED, as the brightness isn’t an issue then. But if you’re putting it a mixed viewing area like your typical living room which will experience light, I’d say MiniLED is a much better buy.

Way I knew it was an issue was the “wife test”. Now I’ll be anal, light in the room and brightness of the TV is obvious to me like I’m sure is to everyone here… But I noticed after changing from a Samsung KS7000 to LG B7 OLED, my wife on weekends if we’re watching a film would often ask for the curtains to be closed before I would… Which she never did before. The only thing she knows about TVs is it displays moving images 😂

tuckerdognc

Novice Member
For the most part now a days ye, even though response times are lower on OLED they’re so low on MiniLED Samsung sets it makes no difference anyway. So no real observable difference… Infact OLED may suffer from judder at lower framerate content. Also if you say look at some of the rting local dimming enabled shots on QN90A for blooming, it’s such a marginal difference between that and the C1. Which is great tbh, because up until now LCD TVs we’re really the obvious 2nd choice vs OLED.

Id say in dark environments you may aswell go OLED, as the brightness isn’t an issue then. But if you’re putting it a mixed viewing area like your typical living room which will experience light, I’d say MiniLED is a much better buy.

Way I knew it was an issue was the “wife test”. Now I’ll be anal, light in the room and brightness of the TV is obvious to me like I’m sure is to everyone here… But I noticed after changing from a Samsung KS7000 to LG B7 OLED, my wife on weekends if we’re watching a film would often ask for the curtains to be closed before I would… Which she never did before. The only thing she knows about TVs is it displays moving images 😂
What I do find interesting - and it just hit me about an hour ago - is how many people are watching tv in a bright room? Are you leaving all the lights on or just watching at noon? Seems weird that this is a thing. :) Thanks for the response.

tuckerdognc

Novice Member
It's better, but only in the right conditions.

If you have a bright room that gets a lot of sun and you can't or are not willing to make it darker by pulling blinds etc then you may be better off with an LCD.
Showrooms like Currys make all TVs look worse because they bang them up to max brightness in Vivid modes and the showrooms are too bright to show OLED well.

Don't get sucked into the "QLED" thing. It's still just an LCD panel with a filter on it, other manufacturers do QLED and others like Sony make LCD TVs that are better than a lot of the Samsung QLED range. It's purely Samsung marketing to combat OLED
What I find interesting is there seem to be an awful lot of people watching lots of television during the day. Or in tv showrooms or at Walmart. We watch probably 95% of the time after sunset. Don't you people work? :) How could a tv be produced that is "best in bright light" and actually sell enough to justify manufacture? LOL

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom