Is OLED really "the best thing ever"?

yuriythebest

Standard Member
Hi guys! Having watched lots of youtube reviewers and forum comments saying how OLED is the best thing ever and has much deeper blacks and a better image, I was set on getting an LG CX/C1 65' oled for viewing from around 2-2.5m (7-8 feet) away.
However, having visited actual retail stores and compared the images, while I was able to notice the slightly deeper blacks compared to QLED, it was just barely so, on the verge of subjectivity, and if I hadn't been primed with "OLED is much better look for the deeper blacks" and had just been presented with the tv's without any context or pricing, I'm not 100% sure if I'd had picked the oled.

So my question is this: is the "oled effect" more noticeable when viewed in home viewing conditions/lighting, proper settings and without the amped up brightness stores use? OR is it better to get a 70-75' qled instead?

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
It's better, but only in the right conditions.

If you have a bright room that gets a lot of sun and you can't or are not willing to make it darker by pulling blinds etc then you may be better off with an LCD.
Showrooms like Currys make all TVs look worse because they bang them up to max brightness in Vivid modes and the showrooms are too bright to show OLED well.

Don't get sucked into the "QLED" thing. It's still just an LCD panel with a filter on it, other manufacturers do QLED and others like Sony make LCD TVs that are better than a lot of the Samsung QLED range. It's purely Samsung marketing to combat OLED

Last edited:

Smudger558

I had a really good lcd in the sony xe9405 and now I own a sony a80j. The a80j is better but because tv's are so good these days the gains in picture quality aren't massive but a80j oled and also other oleds bring a certain something extra to the viewing experience in my opinion

mikej

So my question is this: is the "oled effect" more noticeable when viewed in home viewing conditions/lighting, proper settings and without the amped up brightness stores use? OR is it better to get a 70-75' qled instead?
You'd notice the difference when watching films in a darkened or dimly lit room in the evenings for example, which is when I do most of my TV watching. For that type of viewing and in that type of environment, OLED wins hands down.

inzaman

You'd notice the difference when watching films in a darkened or dimly lit room in the evenings for example, which is when I do most of my TV watching. For that type of viewing and in that type of environment, OLED wins hands down.
This and I have both an OLED and LCD. If oled could go brighter for daytime viewing then apart from image retention, dare I say that I think oled would be perfect.

yuriythebest

Standard Member
Thanks so much guys! Yup, this confirmed my suspicion/assumption that the true advantage of oleds shines through ( haha, get it, because HDR "shines" ), in home viewing conditions when in a dimly dark room.

MEGATAMA

Hi guys! Having watched lots of youtube reviewers and forum comments saying how OLED is the best thing ever and has much deeper blacks and a better image, I was set on getting an LG CX/C1 65' oled for viewing from around 2-2.5m (7-8 feet) away.
However, having visited actual retail stores and compared the images, while I was able to notice the slightly deeper blacks compared to QLED, it was just barely so, on the verge of subjectivity, and if I hadn't been primed with "OLED is much better look for the deeper blacks" and had just been presented with the tv's without any context or pricing, I'm not 100% sure if I'd had picked the oled.

I went from Q90R wich is one of best LCDs made till today to G1 and must say that there is noticeble gain in PQ.

silkyandy x

Yes imho apart from screen burn which was downplayed for some reason unlike when plasma were the in thing. In fact my Panny plasma Ive had for 10 years is still fantastic no burn but my LG oled has netlfix blasted into the bottom corner which is devastating. Picture quality is unbeatable to me though. They should have provided better warnings but now I know.

Edit on the blacks: Yes it is mind blowing compared to anything else in the right room. I have dark curtains and dark grey back wall and at night you cannot make out where the screen starts and ends in dark scenes. Makes a huge difference to immersion could not overate it's effect. I would never by another type of tv for the main room.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
For contrast and blacks, yes.

anotheruser

I'm not so sure either.
Spent £1200 odd on a Sony A8 and was it much different to my Aging Samsung F8000? Not sure it was really worth the upgrade price in a way as I expected deeper blacks. Yes, I haven't had it calibrated - just used the recommended settings on the dedicated thread. It does have blacker blacks but not as deep as I was expecting, or they're too black so some detail is a-miss.

The 4K content from YouTube (and I suspect BBC iPlayer) does look great though.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
We must have bought different TVs then as I got my A8 yesterday and it's spectacular and that's coming from a good Sony LCD panel.

mikej

I'm not so sure either.
Spent £1200 odd on a Sony A8 and was it much different to my Aging Samsung F8000? Not sure it was really worth the upgrade price in a way as I expected deeper blacks. Yes, I haven't had it calibrated - just used the recommended settings on the dedicated thread. It does have blacker blacks but not as deep as I was expecting, or they're too black so some detail is a-miss.

The 4K content from YouTube (and I suspect BBC iPlayer) does look great though.

How much blacker than pure, 100% black would you like your blacks to be ? :D

I take your point about missing some shadow detail though as that can happen, depending on the content and picture settings used. I'd accept a small loss of some shadow detail over blacks that look grey though, personally !

anotheruser

How much blacker than pure, 100% black would you like your blacks to be ? :D
The blacks I see aren't pure black.
A lot better than the LED, which when we do watch something on it look greyer and greyer.

Maybe I need to watch something in better quality.

mikej

A lot better than the LED, which when we do watch something on it look greyer and greyer.

Yes, the quality of what you're watching and picture settings can all make a difference. It can be quite tricky finding the right balance between making the blacks black and not losing too much shadow detail. If you look a little beyond the more obvious brightness settings, there are other settings like 'gamma' which have an effect, too.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I watched John Wick in UHD on it, also there are some really spectacular "OLED Demo" reels on youtube.

A neighbour helped me stick my TV on the wall. We watched that clip as he was wondering about OLED and his jaw nearly dropped.
It's almost 3D with the depth of colour and absolute blacks.

Downinja

Then surely there is something wrong. If I see a black screen on my OLED in a pitch black room, I can't see the TV.

VirulentPip

Coming from a Samsung Q7F to an LG C1 the difference is spectacular, but that's me comparing a TV that is edge lit, not having that light bleed and having true blacks is a game changer. I guess it depends on what you compare to + viewing conditions.

anotheruser

Then surely there is something wrong. If I see a black screen on my OLED in a pitch black room, I can't see the TV.
The "something" would be the source material.
Watching 4K stuff on that famous video website looks amazing.

Yes, the quality of what you're watching and picture settings can all make a difference. It can be quite tricky finding the right balance between making the blacks black and not losing too much shadow detail. If you look a little beyond the more obvious brightness settings, there are other settings like 'gamma' which have an effect, too.
This is it.

I guess it's because not much is in 4K so I rarely watch it. Most is only just HD, with at least 2/5 programmes being SD :/

Mallett94

Distinguished Member
The "something" would be the source material.
Watching 4K stuff on that famous video website looks amazing.

This is it.

I guess it's because not much is in 4K so I rarely watch it. Most is only just HD, with at least 2/5 programmes being SD :/
SD??? :(

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
OLED is KING until MICRO LED becomes a THING

tuckerdognc

Novice Member
Yes imho apart from screen burn which was downplayed for some reason unlike when plasma were the in thing. In fact my Panny plasma Ive had for 10 years is still fantastic no burn but my LG oled has netlfix blasted into the bottom corner which is devastating. Picture quality is unbeatable to me though. They should have provided better warnings but now I know.

Edit on the blacks: Yes it is mind blowing compared to anything else in the right room. I have dark curtains and dark grey back wall and at night you cannot make out where the screen starts and ends in dark scenes. Makes a huge difference to immersion could not overate it's effect. I would never by another type of tv for the main room.
So you're saying even with burn in you'd still want the OLED because you mostly watch in a dark room? What about lamps and their reflection. Do you see them in the highly reflective OLED?

Amorris

So I previously had a Samsung 55” KS7000 UHD TV, loved it. So bright but decided to upgrade to an LG OLED B7 55”, definitely a clear difference. Signifcant from a black level perspective but I really missed the brightness of the Samsung as my living room can be bright.

Recently purchase the Samsung 65” QN94A MiniLED and my OLED has gone into the bedroom. What a difference, black levels are so incredibly close now, definitely not like it was. Sure OLED is slightly (and I do mean slightly, I doubt most could tell) better but I really appreciate the increased brightness and much better anti reflection in the living room.

If it was 2 years ago I’d of said get OLED and nothing else, sacrifice having to close your curtains in a sunlit room. Now… With MiniLED and significant rise in local dimming zones and black level performance, I personally think it so close on blacks that I wouldn’t go for OLED unless it’s a bedroom, cinema room etc.

Roll on MicroLED.

tuckerdognc

Novice Member
So I previously had a Samsung 55” KS7000 UHD TV, loved it. So bright but decided to upgrade to an LG OLED B7 55”, definitely a clear difference. Signifcant from a black level perspective but I really missed the brightness of the Samsung as my living room can be bright.

Recently purchase the Samsung 65” QN94A MiniLED and my OLED has gone into the bedroom. What a difference, black levels are so incredibly close now, definitely not like it was. Sure OLED is slightly (and I do mean slightly, I doubt most could tell) better but I really appreciate the increased brightness and much better anti reflection in the living room.

If it was 2 years ago I’d of said get OLED and nothing else, sacrifice having to close your curtains in a sunlit room. Now… With MiniLED and significant rise in local dimming zones and black level performance, I personally think it so close on blacks that I wouldn’t go for OLED unless it’s a bedroom, cinema room etc.

Roll on MicroLED.
Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning toward the Samsung QN90A QLED because, though it's a rather dark room and we watch mostly at night, I often tweak brightness, use a custom setting, etc. (The plasma we have now I have a custom setting and never use standard, vivid, game). And, in my price range, comparable to LG C1. Plus, I'm really concerned about burn in. The tv has been on the tennis channel most of the day today and we pause for 20-30 minutes sometimes to catch up on commercials so we can fast forward thru them.

Amorris

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaning toward the Samsung QN90A QLED because, though it's a rather dark room and we watch mostly at night, I often tweak brightness, use a custom setting, etc. (The plasma we have now I have a custom setting and never use standard, vivid, game). And, in my price range, comparable to LG C1. Plus, I'm really concerned about burn in. The tv has been on the tennis channel most of the day today and we pause for 20-30 minutes sometimes to catch up on commercials so we can fast forward thru them.

Well I’d say with your environment you may want to go OLED…

Trouble is, burn in… Now many OLED owners will swear blind it’s almost a non issue and while personally I’ve had no burn in over the years of owning one (I don’t watch much with anything static but it was a constant battle with the kids to remind them)… I’ve seen far to many threads on here and other places of people struggling to get Richersounds or John Lewis to cover panel replacement for OLED burn in and it occurring almost out of the blue.

You’ll have to see what you’re most comfortable with… Remember if you’re UK based go for QN94A not QN90A, the 94 has higher brightness, better panel and anti reflective coating. In the US tho the QN90A is essentially the QN95A.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 8th December 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Cabasse adds Apple AirPlay to Pearl Collection speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Vestel launches TV remote app for 50 TV brands
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Velodyne shipping new MicroVee X compact subwoofer in UK