Is NTL Signal Quality Really Cr@p?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Neil F Holland, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been looking into buying a Plasma TV Replacement / Panel and have heard that an NTL signal fed into a High Def Screen will look awful unless I invest in a scaler too.

As none of the retailers I've visited can show me what it looks like I'm a tad lost...

I've been thinking of:

Pio 435 XDE
    Panny Vierra 42"
    Panny 42" High Def and Low Def Displays...

Anyone out there use these screens with NTL? Have you had to scale?

Ta

Neil :smashin:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    while ntl signal quality is not great it should be as good as any other low quality STB..... Via an RGB>VGA box (panny) will be watchable... via a scaler even better.......

3. lolmil

lolmil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a LG 44inch rear projection and the NTL picture on it was truly shocking! Anything with fast movements it would go 'blocky' and anything where there was a static colour (eg: green snooker table) was virtually unwatchable. I now have Sky+ and picture is fine - I am finally happy with my TV!

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Even on my 32" CRT screen the picture quality ranges from below average to awful from NTL. I personally would not go with them if I had the option of Sky

5. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I had NTL going to a Panny6 (SD) in the following way
    NTL via RGB Scart to SCART -> Component convertor to panny 6 (via component switcing AMP, but that doesn't really come into play). The PQ is the same on NTL as I have now on SKY+

No scaler involved, though I suspect the PQ would be better!

6. Stu M

Stu M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh yes its definitely crap! I have a 42" Sony projection and its blok blok blok! Sky is much better and good olde analogue TV is far superior to all of them!

7. paulmcp2403

paulmcp2403

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    same as fanfox - I have ntl via a panny ae700 and an 8ft screen....and the picture is fine...no blocking , a very decent picture... but I have to agree I have seen it via a few plasmas and it looks bad.....but as I say mine is very watchable....trust me the guys wouldn;t watch footy if it wasn't !!

8. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I have just changed from NTL to Sky, having been with NTL for 5 years or so.

The picture quality on a CRT is pretty good in most circumstances, however I recently tested a couple of hi def screens at home thanks to the guys at a local panny shop and the picture was bad.

A couple of weeks later I went to my brothers house and the picture quality he had on his SOny w/s crt was excellent via sky. I put some of the improvement down to his better TV, but it was the final straw that made me move to sky.

I had my sky installed a few days agai and as soon as the installer switched the box on and then over to RGB I could tell the picture quality was far superior. Even the Mrs commented so! The good channels are excellent and I have seen only very minimal blocking on the equivalent NTL poorer channels.

Plus the tuner box has so many more options as far as tv and sound out.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Frightening thought that NTL are committed to High Def and have a mpeg4 DVR in the works, very nice spec but I know SKY and Dsat can get a lot of criticism but there main channels are of better quality than NTL.

I would never go back to NTL (used it for two years side by side with SKY D) even if it was half the price of my current sub but I'll admit if they get HD quality and content right I may consider their service unless the SKY+ HD really has a few surprises up it's sleeve.