Is NTL digital awful quality

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by rjcowan, Sep 7, 2001.

1. rjcowan

rjcowan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have ntl in at the minute and for the past 2 months I have been complaining about picture quality. I have had everything changed but I still get the picture jumping as though we are changing layers on a dvd. Also the background is blocky and out of focus. Old movies which are broadcast are originally grainy now look extremely poor quality.<br />Is this my anger talking and my need to compare everything to dvd quality. I think not I believe a quality analog aerial is by far superior than the poor digital service that ntl has the nerve to send.

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's been the same with Skydigital too. Certain channels appear to be increasing the compression. BBC did this last year and they too seem to be upto it again.

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Redgie

Keep at them to sort it.

With the exception of ITV Sport channels, NTL can be superb. Old stuff like episodes of Porridge or The Sweeny can be a bit grainy but most is spot on. I'd go so far as to say that some of the pictures are almost DVD quality, particularly animation.

4. kar

kar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say that I'm not very happy with the quality either. I started a thread not too long ago about the quality of the ITV sport channel, and how bad it is (VERY BAD), but to be honest I see problems on most channels (to a much lesser extent though). I was watching Coronation Street tonight (I know, sad) and on a few occasions for a brief period the picture went a bit iffy. I have complained and am still waiting for an answer. The other really annoying thing is the way the picture freezes on a regular basis.

5. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I find the pic quality excellent. Just compare it to analog.

Although sports channels (fast moving subjects) are sometimes 'pixelated', but on the whole I am more than satisfied with the quality.

I just wish they'd replace the very dated Dolby Surround system with Dolby Digital 5.1.

6. poolking

poolking
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You should see Channel 5 on analogue. I don't have digital tv, just plain terrestrial. Channel 5 didn't used to be bad, but now all of the time, the pictures disappear completely for about 20 minutes!!

So it is not only you cable and satellite viewers that are suffering. It seems that they are going to completely forget about the quality of analogue broadcasting, now mostly everyone is taking up digital. The only time I am going to take up digital is when they switch the analogue network off completely, or I'll just make up my own entertainment!!

7. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been very disappointed with the quality of ntl digital too. Frequent freezes and even blackouts (fewer blackouts than there used to be though). And the picture quality on some of the channels is pitiful (the Sci-Fi channel is terrible).

Other channels, such as Sky One, are very good most of the time (they don't seem to like live music performances with all the flashing lights though).

Where the original source is grainy it won't compress at all well, that's the nature of compression (it works best when there are contiguous bits of colour). But even recent stuff looks pretty crap on Sci-Fi.

I'm hoping that when the analogue services get shut down they'll have more bandwidth available and will use it to improve the quality of existing channels (rather than creating 200 new ones!)

8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I've had NTL digital for a long while now(was C&W). It used to be a joke, with random freezing/clicks/blocking. But of late the freezing requiring a reboot has vanished. The clicks and blocking has also gone. The poor compression issue is channel dependent. But this is a SKY issue, as NTL just re-pipe from there Large SKY dishes!. Some bad compression shows up as posterising/banding on colours. The EPG has also speeded up. You used to have to wait upto 3-4 mins just to see what was on!.<br />I want better bandwith for the movie channels at the least. The pay-per-view channels are not in widescreen on NTL either!.

9. rjcowan

rjcowan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have another complaint. Why are adverts in Wide Screen and much superior quality than the tv shows. I have finally got ntl picture quality up to a suitable standard but there customer service was woeful. It has now taken 2.5 months to get this fixed. Is there any hope of digital tv being of a higher quality than analogue.

Lets hope so

10. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0