1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is NTL 150k fast enough for live?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by porker, Sep 2, 2003.

1. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I've persuaded a mate to get broadband so he can sign up for xbox live, trouble is he's a tight arse and he's gone for the 150K service. Is this still fast enough for online gaming?
    I suspect it will be OK so long as he doesn't try to host, is anybody else using 150K?

Cheers,

Porker.

2. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    should be ok BUT he wont be able to host very well and his voice will/could break up a bit - Also he may cause lag on other peoples servers.

3. NeilMcRae

NeilMcRae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I tried it on ISDN 128K and it was very laggy.

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    If he has BB via his STB then YES, as this has a higher upload than via a cable modem. Don't know by how much, but it's what I've heard on various forums.

I asked the same questionHERE as I'm on 150k (250k actual) and i'm considering getting live.

Incidentally I've played Halo on-line (xbconnect) with three other players with no problems or lag. I've never hosted though.

5. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    OK thanks guys, he actually got broadband installed yesterday and we managed to get live working after a little teething trouble (see http://www.nthellworld.com/ for handy tips on using live with NTL).
    Unfortunately I have now had to give him his copy of GR back since that's the only live enabled game he has :(
    I have ordered GRIT so I am reluctant to buy a copy of GR aswell, but since I talked him into getting live so we could play each other online I guess I should. Anyone know of any cheap deals for GR?

Also if anyone fancies showing me the ropes on recently acquired RTCW or MM3 let me know.:rolleyes:

Gamertag = lazygit

6. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Porker,
    It will just as cheap if your mate gets GRIT, instead of you getting the original GR.
    There are quite a few people on here that have Wolfy, and I'm sure they will be glad to show you around. I play it often and I acknowledged your friends request.
    I somtimes host, but only 4v4 to save lag problems, but my server gets full really quickly. If it is full, and you can't join, just send me a invite, so I know your trying to get in, and I will see if I can get you in. Sometimes that involves booting some foreign players, but that's not a problem.
    But beware that the guys from here who play this are VERY good at it :smashin:

7. porker

porker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for that colesy, unfortunately I am completely sh*t at most games but I'll try and get on tonight..... if the wife lets me:blush:
    It was very surreal playing Wolfy the other night on the side of the allies along with two german guys! :confused:
    I got sick of all the nein's and shiser's in the end and switched sides to join some yanks on the axis team...wierd!

Cheers,

Porker.

8. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    porker

U should play with me on rctw as im crap as well
    you go one side and i will go on the other to counteract
    the two of us being poor on this