Is now the wrong time to buy a new receiver?!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by leoingram1, Jun 10, 2015.

1. leoingram1

leoingram1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First Post!!

Over the past 6 months we have been re-modeling our lounge and AV has been the main focus of the project!

The flooring is going down this week and as soon as its done I have a BDI Marina cabinet waiting to be filled with the new kit I have sat upstairs the moment the floor is finished.

The one item I have not yet bought is a new reciever. I thought I had decided on the Marantz SR7009 because I have read that it is a good match for my new Dali Zensor 7 fronts and Dali Phantom ceiling speaker rears. As I am not that much of an expert the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 would be usefull.

The problem is that Marantz have just announced the 2015 models with DTS:X

So do I spend £850 on an SR7009 or buy something else and wait for the new models, ensuring that whatever I do buy is less likely to depreciate the SR7009 will when the new models come out.

Alternatively is there another AVR i should be looking at that matches well with Dali speakers and has Audyssey MultEQ XT32?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    I'd wait, not so much for DTS:X, but for the inclusion of HDMI version 2 with HDCP 2.2 compliance. This is what will give the new models greater longevity over the non HDMI version 2 receivers such as the SR7009. Every manufacturer replaces there line up every year so the same rate of depreciation will be applicable to any receiver you buy irrespective of its make or model.

What number of speakers were you thinking of powering? I'd also have to mention that if using ceiling speakers as part of a conventional setup then you'd not effectively be able to do so in an Atmos or DTS:X setup. You'd want the 5.1 or 7.1 setup to have speakers closer to your seated head height while only the Atmos speakers are ceiling mounted.

The other option would be Denon if wanting XT32, but the launch dates for Denon's new models are in alignment with those of Marantz. THey are both the same concern. you're really looking at at least September before they'll be any viable new options available.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  3. leoingram1

leoingram1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your comment that DTS:X wont work is an interesting one.

My setup is as follows:

Fronts: Dali Zensor 7
    Centre: Dali Zensor Vokal
    Rears: Dali Phantom E-50 (Ceiling Speakers)
    Sub: BK XXLS400

TV: Samsung UE48H6400
    Projector: JVC X35
    Screen: Grandview Cyber 92" Tab Tensioned

Other Kit:
    Virgin TiVo
    Sonos Connect
    Xbox
    Bluray Player (not purchased yet)

I am pretty much fixed on the Samsung 6400 until i move because it is recessed into a stud wall so no other TV would fit!

Am I corect in thinking that considering I wont be upgrading the TV or PJ then there would be no benefit in having HDCP 2.2?

If that is the case & my setup wont work with DTS:X then surely I should just buy the Marantz SR7009 unless there is another AVR that anyone would like to suggest?

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    You'd only need HDCP 2.2 if wanting to passthrough UHD content. The only real need for this would be in relation to a UHD Blu-ray player and there wont be one of these available until the end of this year. The only time you'll wont one if if you've a UHD 4K TV to view UHD content on.

5. leoingram1

leoingram1
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so then you think just buying the 7009 would be the best option for me?

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    It depends upon whether or not you see any benefit to having HDMI version 2.0a and HDCP 2.2?

7. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    It's always the wrong time to buy a AVR, as always something new down the road, either more advanced room EQ, more inputs, updated codecs, etc.

If you want something that doesn't change, go stereo.

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    What you mention are gimmicks, but what has been introduced this year is more fundimental and a requirement if wanting to exploit UHD video in the near future? You can do without room correction, Spotify etc, but if wanting to access UHD content via a receiver then you will need HDMI version 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliance. If you have no intention of getting a 4K TV or UHD Blu-ray player then you don't really need one of this years new receivers and can benefit from the discounts being given on the price of one of the outgoing models they replace. This is even more the case if also not interested in DTS:X and/or Atmos which are less fundamental than HDMI version 2, but still something more than a gimmick.

9. stephenbarnes

stephenbarnes
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +846
    And once UHD is out they'll be rumours of something else. Also it means buying a new and BD player as well.

10. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    They?

The manufacturers have no say in the development of HDMI or the film industry's decisions to move in whatever direction they choose. The manufacturers have to employ the HDMI version that allows their devices to handle what the studios release on Blu-ray or their devices become useless to those wanting to exploit the full potential of those new releases. The manufacturers cannot all club together (syndicate) and devise a new version of HDMI to simply sell more models year upon year. Fundimental changes to hardware do occur, but less frequently that the addition of gimmicks you can do without. If wanting UHD compatibility then you would need HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliance. This state of affairs will not change again for several years as is the usual case with revisions of the HDMI interface. Most of the new revisions have been made to make HDMI UHD compliant and the UHD specs are now finalised so wont be changed again any time soon.

These aren't rumours, they are here and now. The current version of HDMI 2.0a is fully compliant with the full and finalised UHD Blu-ray specifications so you will always have the compatibility you need to handle that video if you purchase a receiver with HDMI version 2.0a and HDCP 2.2 compliance irrespective of whatever is introduced next year or the years following it. If you buy a non compliant receiver then you'll never have any compliance or any ability to handle UHD encoded content via that device ever.

If deciding on whether to buy a new model or last years model then whether or not you want to exploit UHD content becomes fundamental to that decision because last year's models simply are not compliant with what UHD requires or the full and finalised UHD Blu-ray spec.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  11. leinadhok

leinadhok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi dante01,

Our current home setup is a 8 year old Denon 1707 and we're looking to upgrade in the near future (along with a 4K TV). With Denon's new upcoming (e.g.: AVR-2200W / AVR-3200W) 2015 model due to launch soon, is the Sony STR-DN1060 still considered a sound buy? Am more concerned about the benefits to having HDMI version 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. DTS:X and/or Atmos isn't all that necessary.

12. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    Sony seem to have lots of issues associated with them and Sony don't seem to be on the ball when it comes to rectifying them. For example, Sony products can't currently access vTuner internet radio and have been intermittently having problems with this issue since last year. There are numrous anolies mentioned in relation to the Sony receiver, but very few in relation to either Yamaha or Denon receivers.

13. leinadhok

leinadhok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi dante01,

Wow! Wasn't expecting an answer so soon. Thanks.

Am really new to all these technical terms, etc... so please forgive me. Is there a vast difference in (Denon) 4K Ultra HD 60 Hz full rate video, 4:4:4 Pure Colour sub-sampling as compared to (Sony) 60 Hz, 4:2:0? Hope I got the specs right.

14. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,229
    It would depend upon what the content is encoded with. While the UHD 4K Blu-ray specs allow for 4K @ 60Hz 4:4:4 chroma it isn't to say that that is what they'll use. The Sony would be at a disadvantage in not being able to give you full 4:4:4 chroma if the content is encoded with it. It would also depend upon whether or not your display can handle 4K @ 60Hz 4:4:4 chroma? Not all 4K TVs can. Using 10-bit colour which is the highest possible colour depth possible in accordance with the UHD BD specs will probably end up limiting chroma sub-sampling to 4:2:0. anyway.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  15. leinadhok

leinadhok
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks again, dante01.