Is now a good or bad time to buy an SSD? Best options?

chippyteaforme

Hey all,

Looking to replace the SSD in my main PC. It's currently got a 64GB Patriot TorqX TRB drive, which is nothing special. Since the board has SATA III, I feel like putting a faster / larger SSD in, and moving the TorqX drive into my M11x laptop. That way, my PC will be faster, my laptop will be faster, and I'll have a spare laptop drive to sell on. Seems to make sense to me anyway!

Issue is, I've been looking at drives, and they seem to be going up in price again?! I checked last week (before payday) and drives I was looking at - Crucial M4 128GB for example - were down to about £73. They are now back up to £83.

Is it likely they'll fall again, or do we think prices will start to recover?

Also - is there any particular drive that people would like to suggest? :)

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I wouldn't expect too much noticeable speed improvement on your PC but I would expect prices to keep going down generally.

LJx

Good time to buy, the samsung 830 128GB is less than £80, that would be my pick at the moment

chippyteaforme

Good time to buy, the samsung 830 128GB is less than £80, that would be my pick at the moment
... ordered, thanks! Got it from Amazon for £77.98. Was planning on a 256GB at one point, but to be honest I'm quite happy using my old 300GB Velociraptor for less urgent stuff, I'll mainly be sticking OS and apps on this, and perhaps *some* games, but not all.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom