Is noise usual in plasma screens?

ADJ2014

I bought a Panasonic TX-P50GT60 a few months ago. I have gone through the break in process with the slides and all. Something that I notice is that the picture seems to be made up of noise. It's hard to explain, but it increases and decreases depending on what's on screen. I'm not sure I'm describing it right, but does anybody know what I'm talking about? Is this normal?
This is my first plasma. The picture is phenomenal. But if you get close you can see this.

Thanks.

MemX

It's kind of like the screen is a bit 'dirty' on some pictures? A bit grainy?

Standard plasma effect, you probably won't notice it day to day and the benefits outweigh this small issue :)

AndreiNR

It's called dithering. And it's the way plasmas show images. Panasonics are considered to be the cleanest in this regard. Don't confuse with film grain. That from the source and it's beautifuly displayed on this panels.

fluxo

Distinguished Member
The noise can be reduced somewhat by selecting panel luminance low.

ADJ2014

I have it set to THX so I thought it would take care of settings and all other settings affecting image would be locked?

fluxo

Distinguished Member
Bumping this up a last time to see if I get a reply to the THX question. :)

I don't think the panel luminance option is available in that picture mode, though I would have to double-check to be sure.

ADJ2014

Thanks for the replies. So the suggestion to reduce noise via the panel luminance wont work with THX.

But is the noise, dithering or whatever it's called supposed to be so pronounced also in THX mode?

I use THX because I heard it's the most accurate mode to watch movies.

AndreiNR

Thanks for the replies. So the suggestion to reduce noise via the panel luminance wont work with THX.

But is the noise, dithering or whatever it's called supposed to be so pronounced also in THX mode?

I use THX because I heard it's the most accurate mode to watch movies.
I'm sorry but I don't agree.
Thx has a lower gamma curve so it's image is washed, has a red and green push, a lot of diethering and to much saturated colors. What's worse is that you may get IR much quicker since it disables pixel orbiter.
I recommend you professional modes with sharpness set to zero, rec709, contrast around 50 , gamma 2.4 and brightness up 4-5 notches.

ADJ2014

Conflicting opinions I guess. I use THX because a professional colorist´who works on big budget films said it's the most accurate mode. He said it will look washed out in the beginning specially compared to the useless demo mode you see on stores, but this is how the makers of the movie intended the movie to be seen. You can of course adjust it anyway you want but besides a custom professional calibration, THX is the most accurate. Not the prettiest, but the most accurate. Those were basically his words and researching online I found many who agree among professional colorists. So I stick with THX.

AndreiNR

It your opinion (well not quite) but since I actually have measured thx and professional modes I'm speaking with some actual data on this matter.
And the general consensus is to use professional not thx.

ADJ2014

What do you mean by professional? Professional custom calibration, as having a technician coming over and calibrating it with a probe?

Bumtious

Banned
What do you mean by professional? Professional custom calibration, as having a technician coming over and calibrating it with a probe?

Yes, your friends theory about THX is correct. His theory about using presets in tvs is not. The THX preset on most domestic tvs including this one is not correct. The way its set, it may as well be named pink pineapples its so inaccurate and it cant be fixed. The Pro modes when properly set up, (the way your friend would do things in post production) would meet the required THX and ISF standards. But the THX preset as it stands does not.

xit2050

Press MENU, go to SETUP, turn on Professional Mode (isfccc).
you won't mess anything up.

Insanity202

Distinguished Member
Are there professional settings posted somewhere specifically for the TX-P50GT60? or do I need a probe?
There may be settings posted but what suits on set will not suit another.
You can either diy calibrate it which will cost around 150-200 pounds if using free software and meter.
You could pay for a pro calibration which will set you back around £200 ish.
With a pro calibration they tend to use expensive meters, software and signal generators. They also tend to be ISF or THX trained in calibrating.

coolbean22

Novice Member
Professional is just a mode, a preset, like THX or others.
Cinema and Professional modes work well against dithering, for simplicity I recommend Cinema with a sharpness on 0, set the Intelligent frame creation(IFC) to minimum and turn off any obvious enhancements, you can boost the contrast as high as you want but don't try modify brightness until you understand what its used for :smashin:

edit: In case it was not clear, Cinema and THX Cinema are behave different in regards to dithering

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom