1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is network ping an issue with XBOX Live ?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by MRJAZZ, Apr 30, 2003.

1. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if ping is an issue with XBOX Live...
    I understand that this could depend on location of XBOX Live servers and client(gamers).

For example, assuming I'm in London, and I want to play **** game. Do I get connected to UK server (if there's any), or US server ??

How do US people, and Europe people meet on XBOX Live ? DO they meet on US server, or Europe server?
    There must be some advantage, and disadvantage between Europe, US, and Asia... Because if we play **** game with US people on European servers, the US people will have higher ping resulting in slow response, lag etc, and advantage on European people.

But in the other hand, if we play on US servers, we would be in disadvantage because of our higher ping.

Hmm...is this still a case with XBOX Live, like a PC network ?

Thanks.

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    XBox Live is a client to client based network. There are no central servers you connect to another Xbox who is hosting the game. So you should really be connecting to other users in the UK.

3. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    client to client... a bit disappointing. :(

People hosting games will always have advantage...

4. PardonTheWait

PardonTheWait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I play a fair bit of Xbox live, and I've honestly never had problems to speak of. I'm on BT openworld 500, which is pretty much the average broadband connection. Lag in mechassault tends to be all or nothing. 95 out of 100 games it's all fine, and then the otehr 5 are rubbish and you have to quit from lag. Playing MotoGP, Lag results in opponents appearing to veer of track, and then reappearing where they should be. I think MotoGP handles lag by just basically letting you race round, your opponents race round, and matching you up whenever it can, which is 90% + of the time. They appear to be going wonky, and then go back to where they should be. What I'm trying to say is, I've never felt cheated when losing to a host, or felt like I've cheated when winning a match I've hosted myself. It's a great service, very little hassle. Especially considering the games are hosted on 733mhz cpus on (generally) 500k broadband, with eight players.

5. PardonTheWait

PardonTheWait

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mechassault especially, is genuinely global. You pick the game by the name of the person, and the rules/options if the game shows that. No location on any game I've played. People from all over play on the same matches.

6. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you guys are misinformed with this one.

This is answer I got from Microsoft.

7. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We certainly have been misinformed if this is in fact the case.

So if this is correct then any of us could host(?) 16 player games, tell me though, why does XBox usually say when joining a game on Ghost Recon that the "server you are trying to connect to is running above its recommended blah blah blah for the network conditions" or something to that effect.

Mike

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Hmmmmm, if that is true then that would be very interesting.

It does seem to make some sense, however I get the feeling it only occurs for some games. Given the amount of players, you would have to have a server farm the size of Texas :p