IS my Yammy 630 faulty?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by BLACK_MAGIC, Feb 19, 2003.

1. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a yam 630, aegis evo 3 for mains, evo centre, evo 1's for rears and a yam sw-320 sub.
    I seem to be having some trouble with what i think is my amp. In setting the test tone the pitch from the right hand side speakers is definatley alot greater then the left so i have to adjust the balance quite alot for the levels to be correct on both left and right. Is this normal or has one side of my amp gone funny?

Also after i have balanced my speakers i find it all excellent for playing music.
    When it comes to dvds however the dialogue is terribly quite and i have to increase the centres volume above the balance of the rest of speakers by quite alot. Again is this a problem with the amp?

Thanks to all those that can shead some light on this for me

2. Selectortone

Selectortone
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies if I'm stating the obvious but did you check that all the speakers are in phase?

...or connected to the correct terminals?

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your right side speakers are nearer than the left side, then they will sound louder.

Also, if the dynamic range is set to MAX (which it should be) then there will be a big difference in volume between quiet conversations and loud explosions. My preference was to turn up the centre channel on my Yammy receiver about +3 to increase the volume of dialogue (rather than reducing the dynamic range).

4. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Yeh its all wired up correctley:) what do you mean by in phase?

5. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Problem is that im actually bang square in the middle of the speakers. Yet still there is a difference in the output which i can only resolve by adjusting the balance between left and right which doesnt seem correct to me, but then this is my first digital amp.

6. BLACK_MAGIC

BLACK_MAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ah ok cool thanks and yes i have these set correctley:)

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    He just means that maybe you haven't got the + and - round the right way (i.e. out of phase). There are phase tests that you can do if you have a disk like Ultimate DVD platinum, or you can just check the cables.

If you're receiver is anything like mine at the back, you gotta be a bit careful because 2 or 3 of the speaker connects have + on the top and - on the bottom, and the other 2 or 3 have + on the bottom and - on the top.

(Damn, I deleted the original post and edited it as it looked odd between your two replies, and now you've gone and quoted me before I had a chance to put the post at the end :D )