1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my TV REALLY displaying RGB?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by dakini, Aug 15, 2004.

1. dakini

dakini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

How can I tell if my telly (an el cheapo Grundig 28" widescreen I bought for the spare room for my nephews to play videogames on when they come down on the weekends) is really displaying RGB?

Although the picture does improve when I switch from using the a composite cable to using an Ixos (PS2) RGB cable the telly doesn't autoswitch to AV1 RGB - it stays on AV1 and also the 'sharpness' option remains available in the tv menu - same using different RGB cables on different consoles.

Of course when I do the same thing on my 100HZ Tosh the sharpness option is disabled and it auto switches (as it does on my standard 50hz sony)

The thing is when I manually switch from AV1 to AV1 RGB there is no difference in the display

The manual is crap - doesn't even mention RGB AT ALL,but at least its only a couple of months old so its within warranty if there is a fault.

If anyone has any ideas let me know,the chap in my local Dixons,although very nice, didn't even seem to know what RGB was exactly(and told me I'd get a better picture with s-video - even though the grundig doesn't have s-video input anyway!),but after checking he came back and told me that yes - one of the scart terminals was RGB so I dont know what to think.....

Any ideas?

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    RGB scart (i assume you refer to) Uses composite video as its Sync signal so it is entirely possible that the cheap TV has no need to auto switch, check PS2 is set to output RGB, and and see if that changes anything.

3. dakini

dakini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok Horny thankyou - so I guess it could be displaying RGB on the 'AV1' channel then - that threw me as Ive never had a tv as far as I recall that hasn't auto-switched( but then Ive never had such a basic one as this).Though that does make me wonder why there is a dedicated 'AV1 RGB' channel then.When I hook up to my other tv's with an RGB scart AV1 becomes unavailable (through manual switching) and only AV1 RGB can be displayed.I guess it's just a quirk with this telly maybe.

OK well,it seems that doesn't mean the picture ISN'T rgb then.

The other thing that confuzzles me is why - when viewing an NTSC or PAL game (on either PS2, XBOX or Cube) (and yes - the PS2 is set to RGB) with the appropriate RGB scarts the option to adjust the 'sharpness' is still available.On my other tv's (and others Ive had down the years) that option becomes disabled.(As I recall on my mid-priced Sony the option to adjust 'hue' becomes available instead)

I thought this is always the case when viewing through RGB?Wierd.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    does sharpness actually do anything???

5. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,267
    There is a quick and dirty way to tell if a TV is displaying RGB. Very gently pull one end of the SCART plug from the socket. You need to pull it out very gently and at an angle so some pins disconnect before the others. If the signal is RGB, you should see a colour cast on the picture as one of the colours will be lost (depending which is on the pin that you have removed first). If difficult to describe but easy to do.

6. dakini

dakini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hornyd - well the sharpness doesn't seem to do much on the Grundig - the text looks fractionally clearer and thats it.

Gary - thanks for the tip.I just tried it but it hasn't worked too well and I dont know what to think.

I tried Windwaker in my PAL cube (Nintendo RGB scart) - pulled the scart gently from one end and the picture just went blank.just a black screen.However gently I pulled (oooo matron!) same result.

Tried it with Panzer Dragoon Orta in my PAL Xbox (Microsoft Advanced Scart - RGB)
    with a slightly different result - lots of broad diagonal lines of colour.Tried again and breifly picture remained but with colours even but extremely muted - and red was absent- the whole picture had a green hue 'transposed' over the green/blue colours in the picture

Tried in NTSC PS2 (with Ixos scart) with mixed results - lots of lines going every way - the sound went first though.

So the only thing that comes close to what you describe is the green hued picture on the xbox I suppose.

I dont know what to think tbo.

You see,when I use the supplied composite the picture is really terrible - and when I use the RGB cables the picture IS an improvement.So it must be RGB right?Well.....

Although its much better the text is still 'cloudy' - not sharp at all as it is when using the same set up on my sony/tosh.The picture is much better but still not quite RGB quality.

Also,picture is exactly the same on AV1 channel as AV1 RGB - so why have AV1 RGB at all?

Finally - the option to adjust sharpness is still there.

I cant help thinking somethings up....

Do you know my mum had her old 24" Hitachi for 20 years - She has it in her spare room now - the picture is still perfect last time I checked - when I finally convinced her to let me buy her a new Sony Wega widescreen which has been trouble since day one (the picture just goes off whenever it feels like - easily solved by switching channels then switching back but still....) *sigh* they don't make 'em like they used to...

Well thanks for your help chaps I do appreciate it.