1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is My TV Progressive Scan?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Suave, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Suave

Suave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +705
    Hello Everyone!

I have just bought a Pioneer DV-575 DVD Player based o how great everyone says it is! It apparently has something called Progressive Scan which supossedly gives a better picture quality. I selected this feature from the menu and it says " This feature requires a TV capable of displaying resolution of 480P/576P or higher. If uncertain, refer to TV manual".

My TV is JVC AV28R25 Widescreen Dolby Prologic Set and the manual makes no mention of Progressive Scan or screen resolution. I e-mailed JVC and even phoned them but no reply. When I select progressive scan feature from the DVD menu, there is no noticeable improvement in picture and sometimes there is a sort of smearing/artifacting effect if I am describing it correctly.

Can anyone tell me if my TV is suitable for progressive scan or where I am going wrong? The picture is OK without PS selected but not great. Pictures off air are superb. I am looking at upgrading cables/connections due to this to get best picture and sound quality.

Thank You!
    Suave!

2. builder

builder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Suave,

Sorry, you're TV won't take a progressive signal, I'm not too technical but the only CRTs that I know of that will take a progressive input are the Panny PD range, the Tosh Picture frame range and one or two of their previous high end TVs, the JVC HD40 range and one or two previous models,odd high end Sony models and the new Thomson 843, don't quote me on this it's only what I think.

Just make sure you've got a good scart and the the TV adjusted well.

Regards

builder

3. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Nope, your TV is not progressive scan capable. There are a few high-end conventional TVs that can take prog scan, but mostly it's limited to projectors and plasmas.

RGB scart through a good quality lead is the best picture quality available on this set.

4. skanky

skanky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is a sony kv32fx68 progressive scan capable?
    thanks.

5. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony still aren't producing any progressive scan CRT tv's in the UK at the moment, so I'm afraid the answer is no.