1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my TV dead?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by paiger, Mar 14, 2002.

1. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony KV29, about 7 years old. It's been brilliant but this evening it just went blank and the standby light just started flashing in groups of 3 flashes seperated by 5 seconds. Is it a dead duck or have I done something wrong? I'm just denying the truth innit? I guess it's not even worth fixing either, probly cost £100 to get the bloke out here.

Whatcha reckon?

S

2. gges

gges

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you give me the full model number and the exact sequence of led flashes i'll be able to tell you what's wrong with the set. Shouldn't be too expensive to put right.

Rgds, GGES.

3. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for your reply. It's a KV-29F1U. I have unplugged it and plugged it in again. It tries to produce a picture but it goes wobbly then the screen goes like a monitor does when you turn it off and the power LED on the front flashes twice in between 2 second gaps (not 3 times as I originally said). That's not very well explained, I mean it goes flash-flash-pause-flash-flash-pause etc.

Any help would be usefull. I'm a bit wary of throwing money at it cuz it's fairly old.

Regards

Steve

4. maccas

maccas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I also have this problem but not with the same flashing errors. I thought it was the fuse but I have changed that (by the way - I know it sounds silly but what should the fuse be - a 5 or 13 amp) but when it is turned on the red light next to the on/off switch flashes 4 or 5 times in a row and then nothing happens and the set is dead until you unplug it and try again.

My model is a KV-E2922U (quite old now I think)

Would this be easy to repair?

Also - It occasionally looses it's colour and goes into b+w mode until a random time. This happens randomly and the tv can be warm or just turned on.

Any help on these would be most welcome.

Also - if a new set is required is it best to buy a digital TV Widescreen or could I go for a standard 4-3 without much to worry about?

Sorry there are so many questions but I don't keep up with TV's that much.

Thanks

Cormac

5. gges

gges

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    KV-29F1U - psu shutting down - should cost anywhere in the region of £60 - £80 to rectify.

Any decent engineer with any Sony experience should be able to i.d the fault no problem.

Hope this helps.

Rgds, GGES.

6. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your help. I'm dropping it into a Sony authorised engineer tomorrow who won't charge to diagnose it. Not willing to spend much more than £50 on it though.

S

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    maccas,

Your Sony is afflicted with classic Sony faults.

B+W is because of a faulty colour crystal in the set (found on an upright board) that either needs replacing or maybe just resoldering; dry joints.

I'd put money on the fact that your TV is riddled with dry joints too. Common places for example, are on the Audio IC and the heatsink feet throughout the pcb. Also, there are a few other smaller IC's that need a touch up. Sorry I can't be more exact, but it's been about 2 - 3 years since I've played with those sets. Basically a general resolder.

A workshop should spend a half hour or so resoldering then leave it on test and 9 times out of 10 that'll do the trick. The crystal costs a pound or two, cheap thing. So maybe about £40 or so if it's only dry joints.

Otherwise look around for new TV's as replacing parts on a TV that old could be prohibitive.

8. gges

gges

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guy,

1. Crystal will not be faulty.
    2. Probably will be more than dry joints.
    3. Got to be worth spending 60-80 quid on such a lovely set.
    4. Maccas - If you throw it out - throw it in my direction!

Rgds, GGES.

9. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is a lovely set but it's just ugly. I look at these sleek little silver widescreens in Comet and then look at my hulking black box. I watch everything in W/S and I reckon a 24" would give me as big a picture as I'm getting now in a much much smaller box. I have replaced it for the mo with a portable we had upstairs and I have to say (conceding to wife) that it improves the room no end. I quite fancy the little 24" Samsung in Currys for £300. I know the picture won't be as good but I'm more into sound to be honest and I'm thinking of getting a projector for serious viewing.

Also, I dropped !!!! my tv about 12 months ago and ever since it's had a green tint in one corner which is barely noticable but annoying. I'm just a bit loathe to spend £100 on a 7 year old TV only for it to pack up again next week. I'll just see what the guy says I guess.

S