Is my TV a full 3D TV?

mattgad

Standard Member
Hi there,

I am just after a bit of advice after receiving a 3D TV as a present. The TV is an Agora 42 Inch Full HD Freeview LCD 3D TV (and actually seems to be a BUSH TV, when peeling back the Agora sticker). At first I was confused to why I would always need a 3D-device (such as a PS3, Sky 3D box or 3D-bluray player) to play 3D all the time, I thought I would be able to use the TV to play 3D files via a USB stick, but the TV does not seem to allow that. I know not many 3D channels are available on freeview at the moment, but the reviews of the TV that I have found through Google (searching for the model number, lcd42911fhd3d) are worded in a way that even if they do become available on freeview, I would need something additional to get the 3D to work. It is described as a '3D compatible TV' on reviews, but not on the suppliers website.

I don't know much at all about 3D TV, so I am not sure if the TV was falsely advertised or if I am simply misunderstanding how 3D TVs work.

Do all 3D TVs need a HDMI cable plugged into an external device to get 3D to work? It does seem this way when I've Googled it, but I have friends with 3D TVs who claim to be watching files through a USB stick, and were able to watch the olympics opening ceremony in 3D on freeview without any extra cables or devices.

Thanks for your help.

logiciel

Hi and welcome to the forum.
There's no such thing as a full 3D TV - they can either show 3D sources or they can't, and this can.
It doesn't have a USB socket, does it?
There are no Freeview 3D channels, only very occasional 3D programmes on the BBC HD channel.
Your TV should have a terrestrial digital HD tuner but that's not mentioned in the specification at EBuyer.
If the Freeview channel list includes BBC HD then it has, and you will be able to see their 3D programmes.
There's a summary of the running jumping throwing and hitting each evening until that all ends.
Otherwise you would need an external Freeview HD tuner, but that possibility is unlikely and you'll soon know!
You can connect any 3D source you like to one of the HDMI sockets.
BR players and satellite receivers are the two most usual sources.
There is only one satellite 3D channel and you have to pay the £65 a month SkyWorld subscription to get that.
HTH but feel free to ask for details.
Nice present!

Last edited:

Jason Shouler

Yes; assuming your set supports FreeView HD then, during the Olympics, you can check out the 3D each night 11.00pm till midnight on the BBC HD channel (this is the 2nd BBC HD channel on your tuner).

Just put your polarisers on and away you go!

derek500

There's a lot of 'Full HD' TV's out there, that don't have Freeview HD (my 47" LG 3D is an example).

Very confusing for the consumer, as they expect a Full HD set to pick up terrestrial HD, whereas it's only referring to 1080p.

redaprilia

Sure I have seen some adverts for Full HD 3d IE models that have active glasses
and some models referred to as just "3D" IE passive glasses models .

logiciel

There's a lot of 'Full HD' TV's
OP was asking about Full 3D though.
You're right about the confusion that Full HD produces - though are there many without HD tuners?

mattgad

Standard Member
Hi again, and sorry for such a long delay in replying to the thread.

Thanks for all your responses, it has cleared things up.

The TV indeed does have a USB slot, in fact I think it has 2. I am still confused by the fact that I am unable to play a 3D file on the TV via a USB stick, and keep getting the error message of '3D not supported'. If I play it through my PS3, it plays fine. Does anyone know why this might be?

Jason Shouler

The TV indeed does have a USB slot, in fact I think it has 2. I am still confused by the fact that I am unable to play a 3D file on the TV via a USB stick, and keep getting the error message of '3D not supported'. If I play it through my PS3, it plays fine. Does anyone know why this might be?
It's most likely just a peculiarity of the set (some Toshiba's have the same problem).

Buying a media-player (£25 upwards) will solve the problem

Snicketman

Standard Member
Hi Matt, i recently purchased one of these for my bedroom ( a bargain at the price) After inserting my usb 32gb flash player, i found that only avi types will play. After numerous attempts at changing the format of my 3d downloads, they still wouldnt fire up. So, i bought a cheap bluray player off ebay, plugged it into that, and it plays everything. Certain 3d films/documenteries play better than others though.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom