Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Is my Tosh SD 210 dying

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MacReady, Jun 19, 2004.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    For a few months I have been having a problem with DTS soundtracks on all DVDs cutting out for a split second here and there. Initially I thought it was down to my old Pioneer 808 receiver that was finally past it's sell by date but over the last week I have been getting the problem more and more. Now a lot of my DVD's, that have been fine up until now, are glitching and throwing up loads of blocking artifacts and even freezing completely sometimes :(

Is there anything worth doing to try and fix this or should I just get another DVD player and face up to the fact my trusty 210 is dead ?

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,442
    Great little machine the 210, I still have one running upstairs in the bedroom. :thumbsup:
    I'd first check that all your disc's are spotless; that being the case I'd try a DVD Lens cleaner, not a big fan myself as I don't understand how the lens can get dirty, but maybe worth a go.
    If it is on its way out then TBH I don't think it would be worthwhile having it repaired, if indeed an repair is possible, as you can pick up a comparable machine for not a lot these days.
    Goodluck. :)

3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I have never been convinced the lens cleaners either...I may give it a go though as a last ditch attempt.

I do like my 210 and the picture and sound have been great up until this problem :(

I think you are right about not getting it repaired though Zone...just been to Richer Sounds in Leeds and they have the Tosh 330 multi region for £59 !!!!

4. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My 210 is doing the same, and its getting worse. Freezes all the time now. My brother has a lense cleaner so I will give it a go and get back. The transport has become very loud. (My 3 year old may have something to do with this) so I think a new player is the only answer for me anyway.

I like you have been very happy with the 210's service

5. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I have noticed the transport on my 210 is louder too. :(

6. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mine makes a horrible grinding noise when I open or close the tray. It's not very well at all. Hope these lense cleaners are good :)