1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my Tosh SD 210 dying

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MacReady, Jun 19, 2004.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    For a few months I have been having a problem with DTS soundtracks on all DVDs cutting out for a split second here and there. Initially I thought it was down to my old Pioneer 808 receiver that was finally past it's sell by date but over the last week I have been getting the problem more and more. Now a lot of my DVD's, that have been fine up until now, are glitching and throwing up loads of blocking artifacts and even freezing completely sometimes :(

Is there anything worth doing to try and fix this or should I just get another DVD player and face up to the fact my trusty 210 is dead ?

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    Great little machine the 210, I still have one running upstairs in the bedroom. :thumbsup:
    I'd first check that all your disc's are spotless; that being the case I'd try a DVD Lens cleaner, not a big fan myself as I don't understand how the lens can get dirty, but maybe worth a go.
    If it is on its way out then TBH I don't think it would be worthwhile having it repaired, if indeed an repair is possible, as you can pick up a comparable machine for not a lot these days.
    Goodluck. :)

3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I have never been convinced the lens cleaners either...I may give it a go though as a last ditch attempt.

I do like my 210 and the picture and sound have been great up until this problem :(

I think you are right about not getting it repaired though Zone...just been to Richer Sounds in Leeds and they have the Tosh 330 multi region for £59 !!!!

4. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    My 210 is doing the same, and its getting worse. Freezes all the time now. My brother has a lense cleaner so I will give it a go and get back. The transport has become very loud. (My 3 year old may have something to do with this) so I think a new player is the only answer for me anyway.

I like you have been very happy with the 210's service

5. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I have noticed the transport on my 210 is louder too. :(

6. Wilf

Wilf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Mine makes a horrible grinding noise when I open or close the tray. It's not very well at all. Hope these lense cleaners are good :)