Question Is my TCL tv s535 compatible with screen mirror feature from an iPhone?

Sabrina T

Novice Member
Hello!

I recently bought a TCL 65s535 and I wonder if AirPlair and Screen Mirroring from an iPhone (iPhone 8 - version 14.3) should work!? Is it really compatible? or my tv has a problem?

Im able to airplair videos from Youtube, but when I try to airplay other stuff or do screen mirror, SOMETIMES what is playing from my phone would should on the TV and most of the time it just won't. I would only hear the music from the TV, but that's all, or nothing at all.

I've set the Screen Mirror option to ON, and I've done the same for AirPlay...

If it's not compatible, why are these option on the TCL tv?! only for Android?
Is the TV defect and should get a new one or should I completely switch for another TV brand?

Thanks for your help!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
If it's not compatible, why are these option on the TCL tv?! only for Android?

And Windows, and Linux, and Chrome OS, and Fire OS and everything else basically.

AirPlay is an Apple specific tech, virtually not used at all outside iOS/Mac OS.

Assuming you're using the youtube app rather than youtube in Safari it's likely the app independently implements a more widely supported protocol which it's using rather than Airplay.

Sabrina T

Novice Member
And Windows, and Linux, and Chrome OS, and Fire OS and everything else basically.

AirPlay is an Apple specific tech, virtually not used at all outside iOS/Mac OS.

Assuming you're using the youtube app rather than youtube in Safari it's likely the app independently implements a more widely supported protocol which it's using rather than Airplay.
So, since there's Airplay pre-installed on the TV, it should be working Screen mirroring or AirPlay using apps or simply Safari? it would be a problem with the TV...

next010

Distinguished Member
Does the Homekit app on your iPhone see the TV ?

If it Home app on phone cannot see TV that might indicate part of the problem being network related.

There are third party screen mirror apps for Roku + iPhone so those are not the same as native airplay mirroring as found on AppleTV set top box. Whether the TCL has this native mirroring feature I'm unsure on.

Sabrina T

Novice Member
Does the Homekit app on your iPhone see the TV ?

If it Home app on phone cannot see TV that might indicate part of the problem being network related.

There are third party screen mirror apps for Roku + iPhone so those are not the same as native airplay mirroring as found on AppleTV set top box. Whether the TCL has this native mirroring feature I'm unsure on.

Yes that's what so weird about it.
My tv appear in HomeKit, i can use the remote from my phone, i can play music from my phone (spotify), I can airplay youtube videos (seomtimes! sometimes it just doesnt work), but when it comes to screenmirroring and airplay (using the airplay option that was pre-installed in the tv) anything else than youtube, it doesn't work, but it worked 2-3 times.2-3 times I could screen mirror my phone. So i was wondering if itsbecause the tv is somply not comptable and I got lucky, or the TV has a problem?
Im trying to figure out if i should switch brand to make sure that airplay and screen mirroring works or change the tv but keep same model because this one as a problem.

next010

Distinguished Member
Yes that's what so weird about it.
My tv appear in HomeKit, i can use the remote from my phone, i can play music from my phone (spotify), I can airplay youtube videos (seomtimes! sometimes it just doesnt work), but when it comes to screenmirroring and airplay (using the airplay option that was pre-installed in the tv) anything else than youtube, it doesn't work, but it worked 2-3 times.2-3 times I could screen mirror my phone. So i was wondering if itsbecause the tv is somply not comptable and I got lucky, or the TV has a problem?
Im trying to figure out if i should switch brand to make sure that airplay and screen mirroring works or change the tv but keep same model because this one as a problem.

Yeah that is strange it seems like it sort of works, could be a network level problem which would be very difficult to fix.

When you first tried to use Airplay were you given the authentication code to pair with the TV, a number of people are have issues on Roku forums with this problem. Other say screen mirroring was working and now isn't.

Only suggestions I can make are
  • Make sure iPhone and TV are on same WiFi frequency if you have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz.
  • Check router settings and that IGMP multicast is enabled (it may or may not expose this option).
  • Do a reboot of the network router.
  • In the Apple Homekit app give the TCL TV a custom name and assign it a room like TV etc.

Not sure what else you can do other than contact TCL and see what they say.

If willing to spend the money the path of least resistance is buying the AppleTV 4K set top box, that should just work for everything with the iPhone. Don't buy a new TV just the ATV box.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED EVO Review (OLED65G1)
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom