1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my Subwoofer dead?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by aweekes, Apr 22, 2005.

1. aweekes

aweekes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Canton subwoofer from the CD-1 package has been working no problem connected to the amplified input on the sub from my Sony DAV-S550.
    I've just got a Denon AVR-1905 and connected the subwoofer out on the Denon to the line in (using the Y splitter) on the sub.

There is a very weak bass output, but thats only on full volume on the sub. Its about 10% of the volume I had before!!! also won't auto detect the signal, i have to manually turn it on.

Any ideas, is the amp in the sub dead? have I missed something?

2. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Aren't you supposed to connect the sub to the line OUT?

Line in is for feeding an external sources like a CDP or DVDP into your amp or receiver.

Line OUT (or Sub-out or LFE) provides a low-level signal the sub can use. Provided you have the amp or receiver configured properly.

Nimby

3. aweekes

aweekes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've connected the line out on the 1905 (marked as subwoofer) to the line in on the subwoofer.

I rang Canton and they said if the sub works with the powered input and not with the line in, then the fault is the A/V amp as the powered signal still goes through the internal amp, but I can't test this!

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    To test the sub turn the volume on the sub to 'off' then connect the sub directly to one of the left/right phono outs on the dvd player. Play a DVD and slowly turn up the volume on the sub, if it doesn't make any noise then the sub is at fault.
    If you do get sub bass then it's the amp that's broken or not set up correctly.

Note: It's important that you have the volume on the sub at it's lowest point before starting this test.

5. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    The Denon amp may well have a variety of settings relating to how much volume is pumped to the dedicated sub channel.

It may have a simple sub output/volume setting.

It may have a parameter which tells it whether to the send bass to the sub or the main speakers, or both.

The size settings of the main / rears / centre also affect how much bass goes to the sub. Setting them to small will increase the signal sent to the sub.

You could connect the sub to a pair of "pre-outs" on the amp if it has such a thing, this will tell you if the sub is working OK...PJ :)

6. aweekes

aweekes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spot on PJ. The Denon has many more adjustments with a greater sensitivity range. I've cranked them all up and now have too much bass!!!!

Many thanks