Question Is my sub EQ safe (miniDSP + Audyssey)

Bone9

Hi guys can you have a look at these graphs and my adjustments and let me know if its all ok please?

How do I know what headroom I have and how do I know if i'm clipping the sub or minidsp?

This is the sub only before and after graph...
Before and after final calibration.jpg

This is the final graph for the MLP...
Final.jpg

This is the main listening positions and an average...

Sub All Positions + Average.jpg

This is my sub and mains...

Sub and mains.jpg

My process was the EQ using the miniDSP before Audyssey then tweak it after. These are the filters I used to get the final results.

Band 1 = Frequency 22, Gain -3.6, Q 2.
Band 2 = Frequency 32, Gain -16, Q 2.4.
Band 3 = Frequency 38, Gain -3, Q 18.9.
Band 4 = Frequency 20, Gain -0.2, Q 9.2.
Band 5 = Frequency 30, Gain 4.7, Q 4.6.
Band 6 = Frequency 45, Gain 8, Q 7.
Band 7 = Frequency 59, Gain 4, Q 6.
Band 8 = Frequency 59, Gain 4, Q 6.
Band 9 = Frequency 50, Gain 2, Q 6.
Band 10 = Frequency 60, Gain 1, Q 7.

Last edited:

andym81

That looks good but don't just look at graphs trust your ears, what sub are you runing and at what volume

Bone9

That looks good but don't just look at graphs trust your ears, what sub are you runing and at what volume
Its a BK Monolith Plus DF. I haven't fine tuned the volume of the sub yet but I mainly listen at -15 to -20.

Are the gains ok in the mini dsp?

andym81

Its a BK Monolith Plus DF. I haven't fine tuned the volume of the sub yet but I mainly listen at -15 to -20.

You'll still have plenty of headroom

At those levels you'll have plenty of headroom room. If you want more add a second sub or turn the gain up.

Iv never used a mini dsp before so I carnt comment. Is it an antimode?

Bone9

I'm just concerned about the + gains I'm using in the minidsp. It's not an antimode no. It's a manual eq device.

I run the sub fairly hot :)

maxkolonko123

I really dont get it why you so concern about minidsp gain, what is gain level on your sub ? what is your sub trim level on avr ? what audyssey set your trim on avr ? Did you hear any clipping or any odd noises from your sub at highest MV you watch movie ?

Bone9

I really dont get it why you so concern about minidsp gain, what is gain level on your sub ? what is your sub trim level on avr ? what audyssey set your trim on avr ? Did you hear any clipping or any odd noises from your sub at highest MV you watch movie ?

It's purely from me reading people saying not to boost higher than 3dbs etc

The gain on my sub is half way. Turned up after audyssey on both the avr and sub. It's currently on -5 on the avr.

I've only listened to music since the setup so not tried any movies yet. Just wanted to make sure all was fine before I give it some.

Last edited:

maxkolonko123

It's purely from me reading people saying not to boost higher than 3dbs etc

The gain on my sub is half way. Turned up after audyssey on bother the avr and sub. It's currently on -5 on the avr.

I've only listened to music since the setup so not tried any movies yet. Just wanted to make sure all was fine before I give it some.

-5 on avr doesnt look hot for me, don't know if you cranked it up or lower it after audyssey, but for me you have plenty more room to add gain :D

I have psa s3010 anthem arc set it on on 0db with antimode i've added +2db for movies and +3db on music and still feels like i can add a lil bit more depending how far i push MV so far lowest i went was -12 MV on Hunter Killer.

Try some movies you found demanding on sub and you will see how it perform if you wont hear any odd noises from sub you can try add some db on avr trim :D

Bone9

It's hot on the gain on the sub itself. It was on about 1/4 gain pre audyssey which gave a trim of -7 on the avr, I then upped that to -5 on the avr but also turned the gain up on the sub to half way. So yes I am running HOT ;)

I was just concerned about feeding it a clipping signal. It's over 10db hot atm. Sounds nice with the new response. I need to test with some films.

maxkolonko123

It's hot on the gain on the sub itself. It was on about 1/4 gain pre audyssey which gave a trim of -7 on the avr, I then upped that to -5 on the avr but also turned the gain up on the sub to half way. So yes I am running HOT ;)

I was just concerned about feeding it a clipping signal. It's over 10db hot atm. Sounds nice with the new response. I need to test with some films.

Oh ok now it makes more sense, i usually leave the gain on sub and just adjust on avr.

And i think overall we need to stick to our ears, if you like it and there is no concerning noises from sub then i don't see any problem here, if you will hear some clipping either turn down MV or dial back trim on avr and and just crank up MV, you just need to find a sweet spot.

Bone9

I got advised from BK themselves to just crank the sub gain up direct on the sub to my liking. I've also read to keep the avr to a maximum of -5 to prevent clipping at high volumes. Thats playing safe I think.

Sounds good to me. I normally listen between -15 To-20 on the avr so that's why I have a fairly large gain.

maxkolonko123

I got advised from BK themselves to just crank the sub gain up direct on the sub to my liking. I've also read to keep the avr to a maximum of -5 to prevent clipping at high volumes. Thats playing safe I think.

Sounds good to me. I normally listen between -15 To-20 on the avr so that's why I have a fairly large gain.

I had myself BK+ DF before, a great sub but once i've swapped with s3010 i was like wow :D

AVR trim i think depends from EQ i've notice audyssey always put it on solid - when my ARC keep it closer to 0, even Dodge mention this to me.

Give a go and hit MV on -10 :D

Bone9

Ha ha yes I will go custom in the future but I've only just bought this!

Before the minidsp I've had it on -5 testing out on Tron etc. I've moved it and eq'd it now and the response is night and day difference so looking forward to giving it a hammering. Do you have a hpf set on your subs?

Bone9

sh*t just looked up the psa s3010!!! Beast :D

DodgeTheViper

My subs (Audyssey EQ) are in at -10.0db and -11.0db.

maxkolonko123

Yeah I know right heheh and I always thought jeez monolith is beast :D:D especially in my 12m square room  :laugh:

I don't have hpf set I think so, and I have just one sub no more space for more, crossover on sub set on bypass so avr do them job + I have antimode but I'm really thinking about getting minidsp and umik micand try to play with REW just don't know if I have enough knowledge hehe

Bone9

Rew is well worth playing with. not too hard to pick up. You can do it with a radioshack spl meter if you have one. That's what I use.

The minidsp is amazing, love it. Will be beqing some movies soon :devil:

maxkolonko123

I have some spl meter but I doubt it radios hack brand, so I doubt I have an option to connect it to pc need to check once I'm home from work

DodgeTheViper

H

How do find audyssey compared to arc ? I remember mine bk on my old onkyo was somewhere on - 9/-10 after audyssey that's why I ask you what's wrong with arc cause most of it was on 0 :)

I did always attempt to bring the subs in at least to say -6db or so. But this time I managed even lower. It’s all academic in the end. If they’re within limits and you have the limitation to increase if you so wish, then it’s all good.

Bone9

andym81

Check out the gain hack videos by subwoofer 101 on YouTube

Bone9

Bone9

My latest sub response :D

Work In Progress Middle.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022