Question Is my sub dead and worth repairing?

cjlhessing

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi chaps. Little puzzled here because no repair people can give me a rough estimate on this :

So. My sub which was part of an Onkyo 5.1 package appears to have died after many years of service. It does have power, it even recognises a signal is being sent and turns from standby to on - but won’t make any noise.
I have tried Onkyo’s idea which is to tap on the end of the sub cable to see if sub hums, but nothing. I have managed to get it to make a small noise after repeated turning on and off for the av receiver setup but even then it makes the boom for maybe 3 seconds, flutters and fades away never to come back again.

Ofcourse I could go and buy a new sub for around 200 (monitor mrw10 or a q acoustics 3070s) and I’m worried the repair could cost more than this since nobody seems to have an idea of what’s wrong with it so can’t give me a rough estimate.

Any advice what I should do? Ofcourse I also need to order a box, pay for a courier etc etc

My poor little sub :(

Thanks guys

Chris.

Sounds like the amp module is goosed and unless you can source a replacement onkyo sub on eBay or Gumtree you need to start looking for a different sub to replace it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom