1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my Sony STR-DB940 gutless?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Hotblack, Aug 6, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Hotblack

Hotblack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the amp and a Sony DVP-S735 DVD player 18 months ago and then went shopping for the speakers. I acquired a second hand pair of B&W CDM.1's which led onto a B&W CDM-CNT centre (couldn't let the sides down, so to speak). Throw in a couple of Tannoy Mercury MX1's for the rears and a Storm Rel III sub (won on Ebay) and I was ready to slob. (Not forgetting the cables and interconnects and the mountains of instruction manuals etc etc)

All went well for the first year...(just like in the fairy tale)... and then the sub sunk. The little green power light on the sub was out and the rumble was gone. This was soon followed by the centre speaker, which went all shy and quiet on me. I turned up the dB on the amp to +10 (max) but it was still woefully short. The final straw was when the front right channel decided it was bigger and louder than the left. So off to hospital it went.

Two weeks later and the right channel had been put in its place but the sub and the centre were still no better. Back it goes and after numerous phone calls and head scratching from the various salesman, it comes back two months later (thanks richer sounds for your prompt service!) still no better. Load the lot into the back of the car; wire the sub and centre up in a local hi-fi centre and hey presto! They are both working like the day they were born. We both turn slowly and stare disapprovingly at the Sony Amp now cowering in its box. You sir, are the weakest link, goodbye!

So, is the Sony STR-DB940 gutless to power my speakers or have I tweaked too many settings and it’s all my fault?

I’d like a second opinion as it does seem a bit extreme.

Thanks

PS the Denon 3802 has caught my eye but are there any other amps (based on my speakers) that you recommend I look at in the £700-£1000 area?

Ta

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,261
    I have the 930, and found it wanting with my Spendor/B&W NT setup. However, it wasn't to the extremes you mention.

You could try reseting the 930 to defaults, to see if this cures your problem. Regarding the sub, is this connected to the pre-out of the amp?

3. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i have cdm1nts as fronts lcr60 centre 600s2 as surrounds mission m70 as rears ,small pdr8 as sub with 3802 i dont really think changing to 3802 (105 watts as against sonys 110watts) is going to make much differance my set ups ok with dvds, but if using for 2 channel sterio the 3802 is not brilliant, spoke to dealer yesterday who sells all top flight gear(£4000-£8000 speakers everyware in shop) he said the cdm1nts are good but need pairing with really good gear to get the best out of them, can you not exchange your amp for same model where purchased and see if this cures your problem

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like your Sony is faulty. Should have no problems doing what you are asking of it. Have a look at the Sony 555 if you are after good stereo performance.

S

5. Hotblack

Hotblack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replys.

mjn
    "You could try reseting the 930 to defaults" (tried that), Regarding the sub, is this connected to the pre-out of the amp?
    ...oops, it was. I've changed it but it's still not working, have I buggered it?

Mick23
    "i dont really think changing to 3802 (105 watts as against sonys 110watts)"

Tha's a very good point, hmmmmm

"can you not exchange your amp for same model where purchased and see if this cures your problem"

I'll think about that but I got it from Richer sounds mail order and the nearest one is 26 miles away

paiger
    "Sounds like your Sony is faulty"

It does sound like it but one thing I forgot to mention is that when Richer Sounds were testing the amp (I was on the other end of the phone) I could here the test signal come through loud and clear and the same level as the fronts. I asked them to check if the sub output was working but I'm not sure if they did.

The low volume from the centre speaker sounds like a problem with my set-up or the power to drive it (the CDM CNT is a big beast). The Sony amp has various tweaks for kHz and Hz but I've no idea what these should be set at. None of these settings made any difference to the sound level from the centre speaker though, so I didn't mention it. I was hoping it was a gutless amp so I could splash out on a nice new powerful one.

Any more thoughts as to why it works when being tested but not in my home?

thanks

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,261
    the wattage is not that important, my rotel is rated at 120w, only 10 higher than your 940.

But your sub can be connected to the sub pre-out, and the amp will only have to supply a small voltage (less than 1v) to the sub.

How about connecting the speakers 1 at a time to the amp?? Or the same speaker to each of the 5 or 6 speaker connections??

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your amp is a gutless piece of junk. Go and buy a new one.

Will that do?

8. Hotblack

Hotblack
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mjn
    "How about connecting the speakers 1 at a time to the amp?? Or the same speaker to each of the 5 or 6 speaker connections??"

Ok, tried that. A bit tricky as all the fronts are bi-wired with the centre cables being stuffed into one jack. The result was that the output from the centre jacks are definitely weaker than the fronts, no matter which speaker's plugged into it or which cables are used (switched cables in case one was dodgy). Looks like I will have to get the amp tested again.

paiger
    Thanks for the effort but I think the wife's seen through that thinly disguised plan

9. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Power Amps will blast any intergrated apart within (£) reason.

They have seperate power supplies larger transformers etc.

Figures are meaning less - The Denon 3802 would cane the Sony 940 for overall power & dynamics.

I had a Str-db940 - it was fine. If you want more sound pressure get speakers with a sensitivity rating of 90+ and 8ohms preferably.

-----

GJC