Is my Sky+ knackered??

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Family Guy, Feb 2, 2002.

1. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had Sky+ since the beggining of December and so far it has behaved perfectly - no missed recordings, no resets required and it just sits on the rack without making a sound.
    However, I went to watch Man On The Moon the other night on Premier widescreen and the 5.1 sound was terrible. The dialogue was coming out of all the speakers. The following day, the Dolby Digital stream had dissapeared altogether but had reappeared last night for The Whole Nine Yards, with the same all channel dialogue effect.
    The reason I am asking is because no one seems to have noticed this problem as I am sure it would have been posted by now.
    My amp is fine as it works wit DVD in 5.1 and normal pro logic off Sky+ is fine.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There has been some posts on the subject of the DD 5.1 (steering problems etc) in the uk.tech.tv.sky & uk.media.tv.sky newsgroups so i don't think you are alone.

3. toby

toby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I don't think it's knackered, I had exactly the same problem but didn't think much of it so just watched something else.

It would help if sky told you what was in 5.1 in the first place on the EPG !

4. toby

toby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, I don't think it's knackered, I had exactly the same problem but didn't think much of it so just watched something else.

It would help if sky told you what was in 5.1 in the first place on the EPG !

5. Tony P

Tony P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a news article on HCCO about Dolby and Sky trying to resolve a compatibility issue with 5.1. I think the 'standard' Dolby Digital decoder found in a small number of amps, receivers and processors get confused when the soundtrack has been modified slightly in some way. As far as I can remember, both parties are loosely blaming the other, but it looks like they agree the solution is to broadcast the original, un-modified 5.1 data stream. This should sort out nearly all problems with loss of signal or intermittent 5.1 decoding. I would wait and see what actually happens before considering changing your existing hardware.