is my sky bust?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by MrFurious, Aug 14, 2003.

1. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,895
    when watching sky channels that have graphics on screen ie:sky sports news etc there seems to bit a bit of a wobble! in the picture,i have checked different scart leads and its allways the same,anyone else had this problem and what was wrong?

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,851
    By 'wobble' do you mean a bouncing effect that occurs when the other contents of the picture change in brightness? Most likely to be visible on, say, music videos (due to their often rapidly changing contents) but seen elsewhere too.

If yes - this is an artefact of the cost-cutting that goes on in the manufacture of pretty well all CRT TVs (both RP and direct view). And the solution is a flat panel (Plasma, LCD) or non-CRT projection (DLP, LCD) TV.

If it isn't this then I can't help.

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Change your Digibox "video" setting from RGB to PAL.

4. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,895
    that didnt work mate,i tried allready.:rolleyes:

5. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Do you mean the whole picture moves or that graphics (eg: red interactive button, EPG, scan & search banner) flickers rapidly and appears to move up and down slightly?

If it's flickering try a better quality, fully-wired SCART lead and set the Sky box to RGB output. (If there is no difference between PAL and RGB then it's not a fully-wired SCART)

If the whole picture moves when chainging from dark to bright images see what Nigel wrote above.

HTH,
    Owen

6. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,895
    the scart i use is a ixos scart which was expensive and go through the rgb on the tv,the place where you can see it worst is on sky sports news,it flickers up and down and left to right slightly,it must be the box becausei never had this problem before this supposed new box was installed!

7. owenw

owenw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Curiouser and curiouser...

I have Ixos scarts too but none of the flicker as you are describing it. Have you had an digibox previously using the same lead?

This might sound obvious, but make sure the scart lead is connected tightly at both ends. Mine start to loosen after a bit and the TV reverts to non-RGB (composite) mode if some of the pins aren't making a good connection.

Also if there 3 arrows in a row printed on the lead make sure they point from the sky box to the TV. Some scart leads are designed to work in one direction (apparently!)

I assume you are using the TV OUT on the digibox? :)

Long shots but worth a try.

You could also check the lead with your DVD player to check PQ is OK or not (set the dvd to output an RGB signal).

Also, swap out the Ixos lead with a spare you might have (eg for a dvd player) in case it's a dud.

Otherwise it could indeed be a faulty sky box alright. :thumbsdow:

Owen