1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my Sky+ blown up?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by StooMonster, Sep 1, 2003.

1. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Sky+ version 2. Only a few months old. Extremely well ventilated.

Left it unplugged for a week or so, plugged it in, and it worked ... for a hour or so. Then, no display and will not turn on.

I unplugged it from the mains for an hour or so, plugged it back it and it does the same. Red light, which blinks off for a second after ten seconds, and then constant red again and nothing.

I can't hear the fan spinning, but can hear the HD spin up. Is it dead?

StooMonster

2. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I had kind of the same problem, my box turned of and then would not come back on. I just phoned up sky and they sent an engineer around with a new box.

3. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Apparantly, most $ky units run too hot, and its quite common for them to expire once fired up after having been turned off for any length of time..:(

4. snakeeater

snakeeater
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine did the same thing a few days ago. The engineer is coming out today and I assume he is going to replace the box.

I really hope i dont have to have a replacement box once a month :(

How to I go about getting a refund for the SKY+ features and all the viewing Ive missed while its sat there like an oversized doorstop?

5. Aquarium

Aquarium
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem with my Sky+ V2 box a few months ago after it had been unplugged for a while for decorating.

I did manage to get the box up and running again :clap: but, unfortunately, cannot fully remember the steps I took (I was in a panic at the time! :rolleyes: ).

I do remember that (after reading some other posts on this site) I experimented with keeping the power button and/or the back-up button depressed on the box whilst I plugged it back in and, after a few tries, it finally came to life. :D

Failing all else, get Sky to replace the box (if you're within the warranty period).

Good luck.

6. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    StooMonster, mw3cdj,

Did you manage to have it sorted? Did you have your HDs changed, and did you have any problems with the warranty because of this?

7. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HI,
    My problem was sorted within 5 days. All i did was to phone SKY and the replaced the box. No problems since.:rolleyes:

8. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Worlds best ventilated Sky+ v2 box was dead.

Tried everything with it, powering on/off holding standby button on/off. Tried forcing download. Nothing.

Rang Sky, give number for Sky+, rang Sky+, first technical person said unplug it (perlease), second person talked me through forced downloading software "always works" she said, after we tried that three or four times they decided to send an engineer.

Engineer didn't do anything, just unplugged old v2 digibox, and got new v2 out of box and replaced it. He said that he'd heard of problems when they had been unplugged for long periods (like my decorating).

However, Sky+ digibox now says hardware is v2.1 in the menus; perhaps it always did and I never noticed.

Lost all hard disc recording, considering we don't watch television "live" this was quite a lot of programmes.

StooMonster