1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my setup good enough for my amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Billilu, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Pioneer 2011 for home cinema use, then when I heard what it did to my CDs, I sold my Marantz hifi amp and now use the Pioneer for music as well as movies/TV. It was a huge step up from what I heard before. Now a few months on, I'm starting to think that the Pioneer is perhaps a class above the rest of my audio equipment. I have a four year old Marantz CD67MkIISE CD player, and Acoustic Energy's 100 series speakers. I think it's more likely that the CD player is letting the side down, however there is very occasional distortion from my rear speakers, so I'm concerned that the Pioneer's output might be slightly too much for my rears.

I tend to play music in Dolby Pro Logic II or Neo 6.

Thanks in adcance for any advice.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Which AE speakers do you have from the range?

I am currently running AE100i SE's from my fronts, an AE107c SE centre, and have 5 AE100 surrounds (not all in use at the same time mind :)).

Sub is an RTP-15 (see the DIY section for more info).

These are running off a 1999 vintage Denon AVR2800, with the fronts powered by an Arcam P75.

3. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got AE109 floorstanders for the mains, biamped using the Pioneer's extra outputs (for if you have 7 not 5 speakers). The rears are Aegis Ones - having got out the manual, it says they should take up to 120 watt max, which should be fine for the Pioneer (100 watt max). My centre speaker is the AE107C.

My sub is the Rel Q150E.

4. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought you were going to help me with my question. Didn't realise you were only interested in my speaker spec. :(

5. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's difficult to help without your speaker spec!

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'd say your setup is a good match for the amp. Obviously the next upgrade step won't be the amp next time though.

7. Billilu

Billilu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reassurance, Retro.

Dimmy, I naively thought all AE 100 series speakers were the same. What a fool I was! Well, obviously I knew my rear speakers weren't the same as my floorstanders, they're about a quarter of the size...I'll stop now.