Is my separates system a mess?

Gooldie

Standard Member
Reaction score
Okay a bit of back ground previously had a really nice Cyrus system with CD player, smart power amps and pxr. These powered a lovely pair os B&W (tiger eye) 805 signature speakers

unfortunately due to circumstances I sold all the Cyrus stuff, but kept hold of the B&W 805s. Last month I picked up an old Linn LK85 power amp so currently have a Sonos ZP80 combined with a Arcam SonLink feeding straight into Linn power amp.

Now using Tidal and been listening to some ’Masters’ stuff though it and it sounds okay. But want to get it sounding better. What Would you do to maximise the fantastic B&W speakers? Change the amp? Change the Sonos to a Yamaha WXAD-10 Or similar?

any help would be hugely appreciated

Since the equipment seems OK to me, but the Linn LK85 is not exactly a recent model, I'd suggest having it checked over by qualified personnel at to verify if it's performing to its original specification, and of getting it refurbished if not. Probably your first port of call should be Linn (Linn — Support).

The B&W drop to 4.6 ohms which suggest they may be difficult to drive.

The Linn is only rated at 62w into 8ohm and 85w into 4ohm which suggest it does not have the most power full power supply (ideally 4ohm should be double 8 ohm).

So I think you could do with a power amp with more power reserves. But not having heard this combination I think an audition of any alternatives is a must.

Same Room or a different Room?

Any mis match between the SONOS Line Out voltage and the Power Amp Line In voltage?

Do you have any other devices you can test the Power Amp with?

Do you have a Pre-amp you could try between the SONOS (set to fixed out) and the Power Amp?

Joe

But want to get it sounding better.

Any aspects in particular? What impresses you about the sound and what disappoints? What's the listening room size?

The B&W drop to 4.6 ohms which suggest they may be difficult to drive.

The Linn is only rated at 62w into 8ohm and 85w into 4ohm which suggest it does not have the most power full power supply (ideally 4ohm should be double 8 ohm).

So I think you could do with a power amp with more power reserves. But not having heard this combination I think an audition of any alternatives is a must.

i did wonder if the amp lacked the power to properly drive the speakers. Any suggestions of what wattage of amp i should look at or any suggestions of what second amp would be worth looking out for? thanks

Same Room or a different Room?

Any mis match between the SONOS Line Out voltage and the Power Amp Line In voltage?

Do you have any other devices you can test the Power Amp with?

Do you have a Pre-amp you could try between the SONOS (set to fixed out) and the Power Amp?

Joe

same room size 5m x 5m with 3.8 m ceiling height , unfortunately don’t have any other devices to test with or a pre amp.

Joe

For info Arcam DAC output is 2.15v, LK85 input is 0.685V, so adding attenuators may be one way to see if the dac is overdriving the amp. The alternative is a passive preamp like the SMPro M-Patch that I have used in the past quite successfully (or others from NVA or Tisbury).

I’d be surprised if the Linn was happy driving the 805s. It was never a powerful beast and doesn’t have a particularly robust power supply, whereas the Cyrus kit can happily dive most speakers all day without taking a deep breath.

I’d sell the Linn first and get something serious like this power amp.

Or this one.

Both have more than enough current to keep the B&Ws happy.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I’d be surprised if the Linn was happy driving the 805s. It was never a powerful beast and doesn’t have a particularly robust power supply, whereas the Cyrus kit can happily dive most speakers all day without taking a deep breath.

I’d sell the Linn first and get something serious like this power amp.

Or this one.

Both have more than enough current to keep the B&Ws happy.

yes definitely getting the feeling I need to sort the amp out first then upgrade the source.

I take there Aren’t really any issues with the Arcam Sonlink feeding directly into a power amp? Just checking before I buy a more powerful power amp. Keep the recommendations for good used power amps coming please .

Ps, I wouldn’t expect the Sonos to sound on a par with your Cyrus stuff either.

The sonos gear is perfectly fine, but it’s not up to the standard of Cyrus equipment.

How much have you set aside for a power amp Sir?

Ps, I wouldn’t expect the Sonos to sound on a par with your Cyrus stuff either.

The sonos gear is perfectly fine, but it’s not up to the standard of Cyrus equipment.

will happily upgrade the source (soon) to a bluesound note 2i or similar , but from what everyone appears to be saying is change the amp first.

budget wise probably £500 for a good used power amp.

Since the equipment seems OK to me, but the Linn LK85 is not exactly a recent model, I'd suggest having it checked over by qualified personnel at to verify if it's performing to its original specification, and of getting it refurbished if not. Probably your first port of call should be Linn (Linn — Support).

Doubt Linn would be interested. Tried may years ago re a LK1 and 2 combo, told to contact local Linn retailer who were not interested either. LP12 yes anything else of age, forget Linn supporting it.

A few more to consider;

Doubt Linn would be interested. Tried may years ago re a LK1 and 2 combo, told to contact local Linn retailer who were not interested either. LP12 yes anything else of age, forget Linn supporting it.
Then the call will not yield the desired results - advice on where to get the device checked and refurbished. It doesn't cost all that much to ask though.

I replied to your thread on PH but, for £500 I can thoroughly recommend the Quad QSP. Basically an updated current-dumping design based on the 909 with a more modern case.

I was gobsmacked at what it could do with B&W 800Ds - the 805 will be a breeze.

Have spotted a Tag McLaren 100p power amplifier which is rated conservatively at 100w x2 at 8 Ohms , but typically 120w. Would this be a good option? I believe this is very similar to the Audiolab 8200p.

I’d take either of the Quads mentioned over the Tag.

I know but at half the cost of a quad qsd🤔 a worthwhile stepping stone ?

I did still buy the Quad 909 before the Tag.

But certainly the Tag is a big power gain over the Linn.

Hi Gooldie, how about the XTZ Edge A2-300 which has had some good reviews on this forum and has a 30 day buy and try warranty. It's currently 100 euros off . link here

Well the decision on the Tag 100p was taken out my hands as the seller decided to hold on to it , so will focus search on a quad 606 or 909. Is there much difference between them ? Haven’t ruled out Cyrus or Audiolab options though 🤔

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom