1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is my screen going to be too big??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by HappyLad, Apr 27, 2003.

1. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks

I'm nearly there and about to commit to a front projector, but still have a question... so here goes.

I've decided on the Panasonic AE300 and was going to go with a Draper Luma 80" wide screen, but after a bit of digging I've found that the Draper screen won't fit in the bay window where I intended mounting it.

So, a decision has to be made with regard to whether I go for a smaller 72" screen mounted within the bay window, or the 80" screen mounted nearer to my viewing position.

I've done the maths with regards to the viewing angles and got the following:

option 1 - 72" screen
    viewing distance = 147"
    screen/view distance ratio = 2.04
    horizontal viewing angle = 27.5 degrees

option 2 - 80" screen
    viewing distance = 134"
    screen/view distance ratio = 1.68
    horizontal viewing angle = 33.2 degrees

Hope this doesn't sound too sad, but I've been looking at THX specs for viewing angles (field of view) and they recommend a 36 degree viewing angle (or 1.54 * screen width). This sounds a bit much for the limited resolution / fill ratio or a fixed pixed LCD projector.

Whats the concensus - option1 or option2??
    I really what to get this right...

TIA

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hey Happylad,

If it was me I'd go with the 80' wide screen - the AE300 with decent resolution (and Smoothscreen) should give you super results at 1.5x viewing distance.

Good luck with your choice, don't forget to come back when you've got the PJ and tell us how brilliant it is !!!

See ya,

Sean G.

3. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Happylad,

I have an AE300 and also have an 80" wide screen. I sit about 150" (about 1.875 X viewing distance).

I would not recommend sitting much closer than this because even though the smoothscreen works really well, you can still see occasional pixelisation, vertical banding, smudging on motion and fast pans (general problems with LCDs, not just the 300).

Personally I find these bothersome sitting any closer than the distance I mentioned above. As far as your options go, well thats a toughie. On the one hand its nice having the bigger screen, however IMO option 2 sitting at 1.68x would be the absolute min. distance I'd recommend - is there no room config. where you could sit slightly further away????

Saying all that, its really a matter of personal taste - you may not find these things as noticable/irritating at the closer viewing distance. What I can guarantee is that an 80" wide picture will look fantastic on this PJ - especially with DVD.

Good luck in choosing.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not on a HS10 from a Radeon HCPC in 1:1 pixel perfect mapping via DVI they're not :p

I'd certainly go for the bigger screen here though. No doubt within a year you'll be upgrading to the latest & greatest technology & at that stage, an 80" screen will be a prerequisite.

Come back to us with your impressions etc. when you're "up & running".