Is my room to small for a projector?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cordylidae, Mar 11, 2013.

1. cordylidae

cordylidae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Having had sit closer to my 20" tv in my bedroom for long enough i have decided to get something bigger primarily for movies. however a larger tv is not ideal due to the fact that i may travel to australia next year which means it would probably need to be stored (or sold). This lead to the idea of getting a projector due to it being smaller. My bedroom which measures (9'x8'x8') (LxWxH).

My viewing distance would be 6-8' and i would probably get a 72" screen. i already have some Dali lektor ones and a Nad C326BEE which would be fine for audio.

However i am not sure if the screen size would be too big for my viewing distance and don't know if i would be worth buying a projector if i went with a smaller screen?

Also would i be a lot better off with a 1080p projector rather than a 720p one. I will be playing mainly blu rays via my Pc.

So is it worth buying a projector or going for something like a 42" plasma and selling it on later?

2. PJLOVER

PJLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What's your budget ?
    The Benq w1070 from richersounds.com could be your answer .
    Check projectorcentral.com calculator.

3. cordylidae

cordylidae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I am planning on buying second hand and £400 would be my max budget tbh

i have checked projectorcentral and seem to beable to squeeze everything in.

I am wondering if anyone with a 72" or similiar can tell me if they could comfortably watch watch a film from 8' or below.

4. sub routine

sub routine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Bigger is better I have a 100 inch image sitting at 3 meters. It's absolutely spectacular.

5. Duncanc

Duncanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Watching a film from 8ft should be ok, i hope (i'm about about to do the same, from 8.5ft). The question is how big a screen can you handle from that distance and how big before you start seeing 'screendoor' (the pixels) on your particular PJ ?

Someone here recently gave me a great piece of advice: Buy the PJ first and project onto the wall to see what the PJ and you can handle in terms of image size. Then buy the screen :smashin:

Note: i too am a noob, so if that's a load of rubbish in any way please speak now, or forever hold your piece ;)

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    That was probably me, because I made the costly mistake of buying projector and screen at the same time (based on "throw" calculations) and then found I was getting queazy, so had to buy a second (smaller) screen.

But then I'm terrible on boats... :(

7. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    And you're obviously ok on boats! :D

8. Duncanc

Duncanc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Me too :rolleyes:

9. fido dido

fido dido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I sit 7 1/2 feet away from a 76'' screen and 16:9 video is fine , my projector is only xga res (768x1024) so thats only 576x1024 in 16:9 and I dont see any screen door efect but check reveiws to see how it is on the projector your after, I have felt motion sickness in full 4:3 mode when I first played halo on it but I dont get that anymore, when I first got my projector( lg hx300g) and I was watching a movie I had to learn to relax my eyes because I would sit there with them as wide open as possible to not miss anything but now I enjoy full 4:3 games more and 16:9 games seem like small screen I guess after a while you just get use to it, only problem now is if I go around to friends house and watch a normal 40'' tv it just feels so small

10. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    Better not come round mine then since it's 128" (in 16:9 diagonal terms) viewed from 3.5 metres. :)

I'm pretty good on boats though, seeing as I'm ex Royal Navy. :smashin:

72" from 8' ought to be fine, but no harm in trying first, then buying the screen OP. :thumbsup:

11. PJLOVER

PJLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you are gonna get projector...
    Make sure.....

It takes hdmi

You put it in a calculator to figure out dimensions

It's 16:9 not 4:3 . It's 2013 now 4:3 is gone like scart plugs and you will be losing pixels on most formats.

It is bright enough for your conditions. If you get a high quality home cinema that's 800-1000 lumens it will look pants in a room with curtains open in day.

If second hand I would say DLP would be more likely to have colours in good condition along with the rest of the unit. But make sure you not annoyed by potential rainbow effect although high end you won't see it. IMHO

Check the hours used and left.

Check contrast and lumens.

720x1280 is the lowest resolution I would get but full hd 1920x1080 especially when watching blu ray is a huge difference .

MAKE SURE YOU BASE IT ON THE NATIVE RESOLUTION other number mean nothing when comes to quality even is says 1080p it just means it can take the signal but could be displaying 480x640

You are going to need it square on middle unless you have lens shift.

I have a Benq w5000 low hrs with a spare new bulb
    But was looking for more than 400. Used to be 1000's

Look at the classifieds on here for great deals.

I'm 7ft to 9ft away and I watch on 110".
    No problem for me or others I like when playing games , films and 3d to be completely immersed like in an IMAX screen.
    May even go bigger...

12. fido dido

fido dido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    IMAX is closer to 4:3 ratio than 16:9

13. PJLOVER

PJLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I though avatar and forward thinking films were 16:9 but you are right they are quite tall but feel free to dig up the floor and knock down the ceiling

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  14. PJLOVER

PJLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Enjoy the 4:3 though

15. fido dido

fido dido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Only use it with old movies and xbox games that actually use that res,its alot more immersive and I would love them to bring out blu rays of new movies in full imax mode 1:44:1, as I have only a 4 1/2 ft wide wall to project it against I can have more height to my image without digging holes

16. PJLOVER

PJLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The old movies were cropped for tv and video.
    I do agree that when I have used 4:3 native or 16:10 I prefer to use as many pixels as possible and addition to what you have is more satisfying .
    But seeing as how 16:9 is today's format and a lot CinemaScope including original classics released in hd in their original formats , 4:3 is just losing too much and is a waste of pixels unless you don't mind watching everything in slim and tall format.
    If you were recommending a projector to a friend or forum member (like the thread starter) would you really whole heartedly recommend 4:3 over 16:9 or 16:10?

17. cordylidae

cordylidae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    does anyone have any suggestions for specific projectors i should be watching for in the classifieds? i have been looking into optoma hd20's, hd700's or similiar

18. fido dido

fido dido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I was'nt recommending my projector, I was just telling him that I don't see screen door effect on a 576x1024 16:9 picture from 7 1/2 feet away on an 80'' screen. I had a friend ask me if he should buy a projector and I told him to wait a year until a cheap 1080p led projector came out as the next consoles will be full 1080p on all games and he has a large collection of blu rays. I bought mine 2 years ago and I love it I can use it 8 hours a day and not think about the bulb as if I had a normal projector I would need to buy a new bulb by now ,led projectors are a great replacement for tv's in bedrooms, if you want a portable projector for your bedroom right now look at the lg pb60g 720p res £400 new

19. PJLOVER

PJLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    2d or 3d option?

20. PJLOVER

PJLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Fair enough but 500 lumens is pretty poor.
    I would suggest at least 1000 and that is in a batcave!
    I remember years ago playing on a friends infocus (ln1 I think it was called )xbox 360 and hddvd (lol) and it was 500 lumens I though it was the business but then i look it again after using 720p and 1080p 1000-4000 lumen and it was such a let down.

21. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    It depends on your screen gain and whether the lumens is claimed or actual. I did some calculations earlier for my set up. When I'm watching 1.85:1 content (ie no A Lens, minimum zoom and the image approx 104" diagonal) I get 102 lux which works out at 15fL which is around the typically recommended target. My projector is putting out 276 lumens in this setting (the iris fully closed down and in low lamp, with a 1.5 gain screen).

If I were to up this to 1000 lumens that would give me 60fL on the screen which would be more than most LCD TVs that are meant to be viewed in a brightly lit room. This would be far too bright for a projector viewed in a darkened room.

FWIW my X35 is advertised as a 1300 Lumen model, but this is still optimistic (though probably more accurate than some other makes). In practice 800-900 lumens in best mode once calibrated is probably nearer the truth, but as shown above I have plenty in hand for lamp dimming. Even when I watch a 2.35:1 film (112" wide, equal to a 128" 16:9 diagonal) I still only need to open the aperture up to -8/9 to maintain the same 15fL.

Just don't believe all the figures you read in the adverts...

22. cordylidae

cordylidae

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    3d isnt much of a concern if im honest. it would be a nice extra but i wouldnt miss it.

should i only consider 1080p considering screen size and viewing distance or would 720p be adequate?

23. PJLOVER

PJLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    So yours is an advertised 1300 imagine the true lumen count on a 500???

As I said depends on lighting conditions too. If light walls and not batcave going to need some pop.

I think advice on a projector to get is the question , not one in the x35 price range or additional cost of a light meter .

A brief read of any projector review site will cover true lumen value pretty quickly.
    No need to spend loads yet.

I think if lucky for £500ish you could if you look around you could get a projector which Lcos full 1080p like an old Sony hw10 or maybe hw15.
    High end Benq's like w5000.
    Some Acer ,dell and optoma 1080p refurbs that may hold a 1yr warranty.

I personally wouldn't pay £300 for a second hand hd20. But it is a very POPULAR 1080p machine.

As I said 1080p is a huge difference to 720p but only if using bluray or 1080p source . Tv and sky are 720p. Xbox & ps3 games are normally sub 1080 but they do have algorithms to make look great on 1080p monitor or projector.

For £450 you can get many brand new projector like this Acer 720p built in 3d not 3d ready which means you will probably have to spend an additional £220 on 3dxl 3d converter
    http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/9411361/art/acer/h5360bd-3d-video-projecto.html

As I said the the Benq w1070 is 650-700 and is 3d and 1080p
    Also the optoma hd25 too.
    The Benq will give a bigger picture at shorter distances.

Obviously these new ones come with warranty , richersounds doing 5years.

If I see anything amazing( in my view) I'll let you know.

24. fido dido

fido dido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you only need a 70 to 80'' screen 500lumen dlp LED projector would be enough, look on avs forum on all the threads about led projectors alot of the guys are coming from bulb based projector and are impressed how bright they are. reasons to buy led rather than bulb are 30000 hour lamp life, 2 second turn on/ off, uses less power than bulb ones,colours have more pop, no colour wheel to go wrong on dlp, smaller, will be able to take it with you to australia ,hold its value more

25. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    My point wasn't to suggest that the OP buys an X35, but just to show that you don't need to aim for such a high 'true' lumens if the screen is small (ie less than 100") and/or has some gain.

Lumens claims are always exagerated so should be taken with a large pinch of salt. As an example the Panasonic AE6000 is claimed 2400 lumen, but in practice in any kind of accurate mode is dimmer than my 1300 lumen X35. Mine will put out around 900 lumens once calibrated and in high lamp/max zoom, which is higher than the 600 or so that the AE6000 will do in the same configuration: So don't believe the advert claims and don't get too hung up looking at the figures. A screen the size the OP is looking at will be lit up well enough by pretty much any current projector in his price range and perhaps even an LED model.

They always measure at short throw, full zoom and in a high colour temp which 'cheats' the measurement to their advantage. Typically once calibrated you will get a lower lumen output (or even just using in an accurate mode).

Unfortunately I don't have much knowledge of the projectors that the OP might be in the market for, so I was just trying to help regarding lumen output. Too many people buy projectors on figures rather than what they actually look like. ;)

26. PJLOVER

PJLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well I have had loads of projectors except a led.
    And maybe that's wrong but I have heard its a bit pants compared to proper home movie pjs.
    As I said I may be wrong.

Below are some I have tested on 60-72 inch screens and walls.
    I have had Lcos at 1000 lumens but high end Sony ...fantastic ....but only in batcave ! Any lights on or curtain open and it's washed out .
    Infocus ln1 500lumens pants unless night time and headaches dues to rainbows.
    Hd70 about 1200 was worse.
    Hd65 bit better I think around 1600 would be the lowest I'd go without blackout curtains.
    Optoma hd33 great(1800)
    Optoma hd86 needs to be dark
    Dell m410hd good pop 2200
    Benq w1000+ ok
    Benq w1200 great
    Benq w5000 ok
    Benq w6000 great
    optoma eh1020 too bright 3000 but not on 84"+ or ambient light ...rainbows!
    Dell 4320 way too bright 4320 lumens same as eh1020 but with these last two if using a wall and not a screen ok.

Maybe I like too much pop and the option of not painting the walls black and glass bread screen that can ruin real easy.

But if you do go down the route of low lumen led it may be worth looking at glass bead screens though will loose on view angles.

Best thing is to demo some where first to get an idea how performs in ambient light.

As I will with these led ;)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  27. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,991
    Glass bead screens also have a horrible visible texture, so this can spoil the effect of the image 'floating in space'. I had a glass bead screen first and then changed it (it also curled at the sides and I wanted to go 2.35:1 and bigger). The screen I got instead is matt white but 1.5 gain and the complete lack of texture really improves the image IMHO. Shame that Beamax have gone as I'd highly recommend the screen I have: A little bit of gain, but non of the side effects.

28. fido dido

fido dido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    well I have a 300 lumen led projector probably only putting out 200 on normal mode and that is good for an 80'' screen in my bedroom would be perfect for me if it was on full power but its a bit too loud so normal is fine and I just use some blackout cloth for my screen and the projector is screwed in upside down on a normal shelf above my bed . PJLOVER just a question, how big is the room that you use your projector in because it must get very warm in there with such a bright bulb on, just saying this because if your setup is in a small room you don't want an extra heater in there. forgot to metion that led projectors only dim by 10% over there lifetime.

29. PJLOVER

PJLOVER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    10% of 300 isn't much so that's really good. But still only 270-300....ever.
    Doesn't get hotter than normal my house is freezing anyway .
    Look any projector in my opinion is more satisfying that a tv a 1/4 of the size. But tell me how your projector compares to a 2000 lumens pj?
    Now many of theses pjs(bulb) are 5000-8000hrs. Let's take the hd25 which I think is 8000 though could be 7000. 8 hrs a day for about 3 yrs ,4 for about 6yrs , 2 for about 12yrs.
    Bulbs cost new £60 off net if you look around.
    And hopefully you would have sold / changed your pj by then anyway.
    I have only given values of a 10' by 10' ish bedroom and a 11x 18' living room on a pull up screen of 84" 1.0 gain to be fair and an old school tripod screen probably 62" in wide screen in the 10ft square room.
    Low lumens give me headaches as straining to see...and fair less captivating when comparing to 1000 plus lumen pjs in dark. Bright can too but it as much and have option to lower, use a filter or use lights.
    I was last using an hd33 on a 110" 1.0 gain in main gaming/movie/music room but got rid as right back on the curtains to fit. So may go for Benq w1070 as great reviews ,5yr warranty , long bulb life ,2000lumens and 3d.
    3d is something that definitely needs high lumens!
    I haven't heard any comparisons of anyone with LEDs better than dlp lamp. And lumens are a measure of brightest for everything be it laser, dlp , Lcos , sxrd, LCD etc...
    As I said unless I see or hear different or given some info I'm unaware of I see no reason to spend the same amount of money for a 720p led 300-500 lumen and a 2000 lumen 720p dlp (lamp). Other than you wanted it on 24hrs a day everyday in a very dark room.
    Now touch wood here.... I have never had a bulb blow or had to change one (which had one in the 1st place).... I shouldn't have really said that should I?

30. fido dido

fido dido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Fingers crossed!! I was only saying about the heat for codylidae because he will be in a small room with his projector and I have a friend who has a bulb projector in an average living room on all day and its like an oven in the summertime , where have you been buying your bulbs from? £60