Quantcast

Question IS my reciever underpowered

rav79

Standard Member
Hi you lovely peeps
i think i need to upgrade my AV receiver and before i buy the wrong one again please can you kind folks advise what i should be getting

So I have the following

Pair of B&W 683
B&W centre htm61
B&W Sub ASW610XP
The rears I have a pair of B&W M1 satellite speakers

The AV receiver was a cheapish one a Yamaha rx-v673, the reason I bought this was receiver was because I started with just the 683 and receiver, I now have the full 5.1 plus sub and at loudish volumes it sometimes cuts off

Am I right in saying the 683 Is 200W and my current receiver is 90 watts per channel so I’m getting half the quantity of power

Should I be buying something that it more 200w per channel

I was thinking of this Denon AVR-X3300W

So I wanted to check do I have a under powered receiver and should I get this new one or something even more powerful
Please help

Kind kind regards

gibbsy

The 3300 is 105 watts at 8 ohm with 2 channels driven. That number would come down with all channels driven. You don't need a 200 watt receiver to drive the 683s unless you wish to listen at very high volume. The 3300 would be sufficient, the 683s having a sensitivity of 89dB.

Obviously the more power you have available then the easier things become. The Denon 4300 has 125 watts at 8 ohm and the 6300 has 140 watts.

If you are pushing your current receiver to it's maximum the cut out could very well be caused by overheating which would suggest it is not up to the job. Even if you go new receiver and providing it has pre-outs you could add a power amp to take the strain of the fronts which is something to be considered if you wish to damage your hearing.

In a 5.1.2 set up my Denon 6200, 140 watts 8 ohm 2 channels, drives everything with ease at normal listening levels, -30 to -10dB.

rav79

Standard Member
Thanks Gibbsy
about 3 times a year i have a house party and this is when the music is cracked in high volumes, its a very large room and the volume is decent but it cuts off when i feel i should be abkle to crank it up about 20-30% more

when you say The 3300 is 105 watts at 8 ohm with 2 channels driven. can you tell me what the current AVR i have is Yamaha rx-v673 just so i know what im comparing

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Hi, having more power is not so much about volume, but more about headroom. That is, plenty of clean unclipped sound coming from the amps into the speakers during transient peaks.

I was in a smilar predicament to you, and ordered a very cheap studio power amp from the very popular shopping website with an excellent returns policy, just to see what difference it made to how my front left and right speakers sounded. It made a lot of difference. The power amp has since been re-purposed in another room, and I have bought a much more powerful AVR, oh, and then upgraded the front left and right speakers, to make the most of all of that additional headroom!

This video is quite a good watch on the subject:

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
In the meantime it might be worth raising the crossover setting for your front speakers. If they are set to 'large' change it to 'small' and maybe set the crossover to 60 or 80Hz to take the load off the AVR. Same goes for the centre.

It's often the case that with AVRs the power output drops down to 1/2 (or thereabouts) of the 2 channel figure, so smaller AVRs may only be putting out 50 watts or so to the main speakers if all channels are going full chat.

I prefer to run a separate power amp. Not because I want to go deaf ;) but it just allows plenty of headroom for peaks, so the sound is really, really clear. I'm running a genuine 230 watts per channel, when all channels are driven (which is the important bit). It is barely ticking over at -10dB below reference (though I sometimes watch a touch louder than this).

Rambles

Distinguished Member

Longy00000

Have you not tried increasing ventilation to the avr?
When they cut out that's due to overheating so if in a confined space then either move it or try a small fan blowing air across it to remove any heat build up.
Cheaper than buying a new one.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'about 3 times a year i have a house party and this is when the music is cracked in high volumes, its a very large room and the volume is decent but it cuts off when i feel i should be abkle to crank it up about 20-30% more'.

'Should I be buying something that it more 200w per channel'.

'can you kind folks advise what i should be getting'.

I'd add a couple of low cost 'PA' speakers for those Party nights - otherwise you risk damaging your AV kit.

the box MA120 MKII

Joe