Is my PS3 new?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by rinzleristron, Dec 26, 2011.

1. rinzleristron

rinzleristron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    As this was the first Christmas that couldn't think of any 360 games to ask Father Christmas for, I decided to ask him for a PS3... He didn't get me one! but kindly told my wife I could buy one myself.

I bought a 320gb with Resistance 3 for £199 from Game today. What concerns me is that all the corners of the box are dented, the controller isn't sealed and there is a smear mark on the gloss plastic by the power & eject buttons.

It probably sounds like a ridiculous question, but most consoles come with everything taped including the plastic wrapping around the console. Is it just me being paranoid? or is a PS3's packaging as shoddy as the PSN account security?

The reason I stopped buying from Game & Gamestation a few years ago was because I got sick of them trying to pass of trade-ins as new games.

Should I be taking this back... & sorry for the long winded first post!

2. humanfish

humanfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +913
    If it was me, i would take it back and make sure i recieved a box whihc was completely sealed. I think Game have a history of this, with games as well

3. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Yes everything should be bagged and taped. You are entitled to be completely satisfied. Take it back if you are not. Don't accept them trying to palm it off by accusing you of opening it up yourself

4. rinzleristron

rinzleristron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks both. Going to take it back tomorrow morning, the box was sealed but like I said the controller bag isn't taped, neither is the wrapping on the console, there is what looks like a greasy thumb mark on the plug and 2 really small marks on each of the analogue stick... very strange!

5. Foster

Foster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,582
    That was probably their ps3 they play in the back of the shop ^_^

6. RobbySpurs

RobbySpurs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,867
    Did you take it back in the end? I got one from game and are a little paranoid about these things, but box was sealed (looked like seloptape, but was no sign of any other seal having been removed) but had one corner bashed in!

Controller bag was not sealed but a quick look at the unboxing vids on you tube (knew they were good for something) confirmed the controller packet was not taped so would not worry about that. Had wrapping around the PS3 on mine, but did think that it wasn't as well packed as the original PS3 I brought - all costs savings and doing away with polystyrene use etc.

Hope you got it sorted!

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    The box in any event should be sealed. Have kept my box (useful for moving house, not planning on selling it ;)) and you can see where the tape is cut on the top flap

8. EvilEdna

EvilEdna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I had the same feeling with mine from amazon